I've already used the title "Blue Jays Going For Broke" when they signed Melky, but I could have used it again here. The Blue Jays are clearly going for it in 2013 and that's all good with me.
The Blue Jays and New York Mets have agreed on a seven-player deal that sends R. A. Dickey to Toronto in exchange for Travis d'Arnaud, Noah Syndergaard, John Buck and a minor leaguer. We'd also get catcher Josh Thole and a minor leaguer.
Knuckleballer Dickey just won the National League Cy Young Award. He will join a starting rotation that already features Josh Johnson, Mark Buehrle, Brandon Morrow and Ricky Romero. We haven't had a rotation like that in quite some time.
Yes, we're giving up a couple of elite prospects, and I was as excited as anyone about seeing Travis d'Arnaud next year, but I'd rather see the young and solid J. P. Arencibia behind the plate and put last year's Cy Young winner on the mound every fifth day.
With the big trade with Miami, the signing of Melky and this, we're in prime position to play playoff baseball for the first time since Joe touched 'em all. When you're in that position, you have to go for it.
Other awesome Blue Jays audio from Toronto Mike:
- Tom Cheek's Greatest Hits
- Along Came Joe - The CHUM-FM Cheerleaders
- Blue Jays B. Goode - Erin Davis & the CHFI-Lites
- We Faught 'Em All - Jake Edwards & the Q-Jays
- OK Blue Jays (Let's Play Ball!) - Keith Hampshire w/ The Bat Boys
- We Got The Blue Jays (R.B.I. Single Version) - Home Run
- Help Us Mookie - The Kokomo Beach Band
- The Blue Jays Rap - The Variety Club Rap Gang
- The Ballad of Tom Henke - Section 15 Orchestra
- Sunny Jays - Fred Patterson & the 102 Crew
- Jays to the Top - Humble Howard
- Doin' It Right (On the Jays Side Of Town) - Jake Edwards & the Q-Jays
- Come On, Let's Go (All The Way Blue Jays) - The CJCL All-Stars
- Shaker's Rap - Lloyd Moseby
- Do It Again, Blue Jays! - Tom Cheek & Jerry Howarth
- Blue Jays All The Way - Humble Howard
- Blue Jays Bop - CHUM FM Cheerleaders
- Hang On Blue Jays - Paul Husiak
- World Series, Here We Come - The Kokomo Beach Band