The Blue Jays Rap

blue jaysIt's that wonderful time of year. Baseball's back. It's a clean slate and hopes are high we'll return to the post season for the first time in 15 years. I can't believe it's been that long.

WARNING!!! The Jays song I'm sharing today is awful. It's so bad, it's actually good. In the comments for my "Okay Blue Jays" entry, Kirsten, a Jays fan now living on the west coast, wrote the following.

SWEET Mike, thanks for the quick reply. Now maybe you can help me with my second search... the song that they used to play I think right before games started that included *this is from about a 12 year old memory, sorry*

"Let's go Blue Jays, rock em and a sock em and a bring them all home?"

I'm sure it was on one of those Blue Jays CDs, but I'm having a hard hard time finding it.

The song Kirsten was remembering is "The Blue Jays Rap" by The Variety Club Rap Gang. Here it is, if you dare play it aloud. Go Jays Go!

Megan

Oh my, now I know why I forgot about that one! lol Ahh...ya just can't get away with a jem like that in this day and age!

March 14, 2008 @ 8:45 PM

Toronto Mike

I just took one for the team. I've transcribed the lyrics. These words are even more cringe-worthy in print.

THE BLUE JAYS RAP
Let's go Blue Jays
Let's go Blue Jays

Let's go Blue Jays, crack a ball, by the wall, in the SkyDome
Let's go Blue Jays, rock 'em and a-sock 'em
And a-bring 'em all home

Pop your glove and tug your cap
Hustle 'round the bases to the Blue Jay Rap
We're comin' on strong, ain't never giving up
We're gonna take Toronto straight to the top

The boys on the mound don't hesitate
To fire up strikes across the home plate
We're slidin' and a-curvin', unloadin' our smoke
We throw enough heat to fry an egg yolk

Let's go Blue Jays, crack a ball, by the wall, in the SkyDome
Let's go Blue Jays, rock 'em and a-sock 'em
And a-bring 'em all home

We got long ball hitters with mighty might
We're gonna knock a ball through the open roof one night
And when speed's in need, we got a base-stealing pace
We're faster than the Indy 500 race

The infield team have the gloves of gold
We got the crop to stop the opposition cold
The outfield gang can blaze a trail
And they catch more flies than a horse's tail

Let's go Blue Jays, crack a ball, by the wall, in the SkyDome
Let's go Blue Jays, rock 'em and a-sock 'em
And a-bring 'em all home

We'll yank the Yankees out
And move the A's to B's
We'll ship the Mariners back
And make the Royals strike three

We'll rock around the Sox
And make the Orioles fly
Corral the Rangers team
And drink the Brewers dry

We'll double off the Twins
Make the Indians pale
Catch the Angels' sins
And pull the Tigers' tail

Let's go Blue Jays, crack a ball, by the wall, in the SkyDome
Let's go Blue Jays, rock 'em and a-sock 'em
And a-bring 'em all home

Now Toronto fans are all the rave
They sing in the seventh and do the wave
And SkyDome's the world's best, everyone knows
And there ain't no seagulls to mess up your clothes

So let's go Jays, to a lofty place
In the thick of the battle of the pennant race
And before too long, we promise we'll bring
Toronto's very own World Series Ring!

Let's go Blue Jays, crack a ball, by the wall, in the SkyDome
Let's go Blue Jays, rock 'em and a-sock 'em
And a-bring 'em all home

Let's go Blue Jays, crack a ball, by the wall, in the SkyDome
Let's go Blue Jays, rock 'em and a-sock 'em
And a-bring 'em all home

Rock-'em and a-sock 'em and a-bring 'em all home
Rock-'em and a-sock 'em and a-bring 'em all home
Rock-'em and a-sock 'em and a-bring 'em all home
Rock-'em and a-sock 'em and a-bring 'em all home

March 14, 2008 @ 9:05 PM

Megan

You are a brave man! It looks more awkward in print. lol!

March 14, 2008 @ 10:23 PM

Toronto Mike

And isn't "Make the Indians pale" racist?

March 14, 2008 @ 10:34 PM

Mike (Buffalo Boy)

omg, don't let any Yankee or Red Sox fan listen to that or we will never hear the end of it

March 15, 2008 @ 8:38 AM

Freddie P.

Indians traditionally have darker skin, unless we're not supposed to notice. and the inference to pale means to upset them or defeat them taking the colour out of their faces through disappointment.

Probably innocent, but great fodder for liberal white people who insist on speaking for every minority under the sun. Even when they don't want you to.

But while we're at it, I'm concerned they want to pull a Tiger's tail

Animal cruelty was is something that cannot be overlooked.

March 15, 2008 @ 9:41 AM

Toronto Mike

Hey Fred, I just checked the Racial Slur Database at http://www.rsdb.org/ and it seems to be okay. Phew!

Someone should tell Washington that Redskin made the list.

And someone should tell Rob Ford tht Oriental is there. "Considered offensive because it dates back to "Orientalism," when Asians were considered savages and Asian women were all seen as sexual objects."

March 15, 2008 @ 10:16 AM

Tee

Does that mean that every word from that era is racist as well?

March 15, 2008 @ 4:12 PM

Toronto Mike

Yes, every word from that era is racist.

And as offensive as every word from that era is, it's not nearly as offensive as The Blue Jays Rap.

March 15, 2008 @ 4:14 PM

Kirsten

I get my own entry? Rock ON :) It's worse than just living on the west coast though, Mike... I live in the Last Frontier. It's a 4 1/2 hour plane ride for me to be able to watch the damn MARINERS play... Such a difference from jumping on good ol' Via Rail and the GO to get from London to T.O.

I never said it was a classy song... I just said I remembered it LOL

March 16, 2008 @ 1:36 PM

Dave

I had that on cassette, I also had OK Blue Jays on 45...

May 23, 2009 @ 12:33 AM

MAX

BLUE JAYS RAP ON CASSETTE IS AVAILABLE ON EBAY

October 17, 2009 @ 11:04 AM

MAX

BLUE JAYS RAP IS NOW ON EBAY

March 29, 2011 @ 7:20 PM

Ken

Shows how the memory cheats... I loved that song when it first came out, but now... I mean, it makes me nostalgic, but the lyrics ... at the time I considered them brilliant. LOL

August 1, 2011 @ 2:05 PM

Scott

Amazing to say this, I hummed this song for years from 1990 to 1994...I guess gotta now!

October 23, 2012 @ 11:28 PM

brother neil

This is horrible lol. Was it pre-'92....?

August 27, 2015 @ 9:51 PM