Jays To The Top

musicOn Friday night, I heard "Jays To The Top" for the first time. This was a song that appeared on the new and improved Blue Jays compilation that was released in 1991. "Jays To The Top" was performed by my buddy Humble Howard Glassman back when he was at CFNY.

After a couple of listens, I was cringing at how bad this song was. I started to think it might be a way for me to make a quick buck. I left Humble Howard a voice mail in which I threatened to share this song with the world if he didn't pay me $10,000 in cash. If he didn't cough up the coin, I'd release "Jays To The Top" to the masses and destroy any credibility he has left.

Humble called me this afternoon refusing to pay and daring me to share it. He thinks it's pretty good, or at least not bad. He informed me it was based on a 1974 hit by Reunion called "Life Is a Rock (But the Radio Rolled Me)" and he did the same sort of spoof for the Habs when he was working on the radio in Montreal.

Because Humble refused to pay, here's "Jays To The Top". Maybe it's not as bad as I think it is...

Anonymous

That's so bad it's good.

May 20, 2007 @ 4:17 PM

Mike

Unfortunately Mike, I remember that. I emailed Howard, please dont let any current players hear that. They may finish last just so it doesnt get played again!!!!

May 20, 2007 @ 7:18 PM

Toronto Mike

I think Howard should have spent the $10,000.

May 20, 2007 @ 7:55 PM

howard

10Grand! You should have asked for more!
I'd forgotten how pathetic this song was...hmmm maybe I was on peyote.
I tell you what, take it off and I'll give you 2 cans of that coffee you love.
Come on, is this whole internet the best use of your/our time?
Shouldn't we be helping people or building houses or something other than spreading this type of "parody song" irritant?
Do the right thing chappy.
Or not, hey maybe I could re-do it as Sens To the Top!

May 21, 2007 @ 8:19 AM

Toronto Mike

The sad thing is, it's stuck in my head. I'm singing it all the time! "Jays to the top.. watch the ball fly away.... Best team in the majors... and their $6 hot dogs... whoa whoa whoa whoaooo..."

Ouch.

May 21, 2007 @ 8:52 AM

Ehch

Oh, god, that was terrible...and I'm still laughing. But I think they should consider changing their theme song to that one next year; maybe it'd help.

October 12, 2007 @ 9:28 AM

VegasGeoff

Wow. I had this song on vinyl or CD, I swear. Wasn't it released on a CD full of Jays songs??

May 17, 2009 @ 9:29 AM

Leon

Sounds nice, i like it.... it´s an original one. how can i get it?, i´d like you share it, please Mike.

July 7, 2010 @ 1:05 AM

Lyndon

$6 Hot Dogs? Even in 91? I remember concessions being expensive but wow.

July 28, 2011 @ 3:37 PM

Scott

It make have been released in 89 actually because notice Olerud isn't mentioned in the song!

October 24, 2012 @ 2:43 PM

Scott

Oh, sorry. I didn't realize there was a new version. Reason being, I've been transfering my old tape to .mp3 and the song is engraved in my head! I didn't realize their was and updated version. Neat!

October 24, 2012 @ 2:50 PM

Krystin

thanks so much for uploading all of these songs. My Dad had the Variety Village for Charity CD when I was a kid and I learned a lot of these songs (and a lot of what happened with the Jays from when I was too young to remember, for that matter. These songs have lots of info haha). Every time something "throwback" is happening at the Dome, I'm always here listening. And to this day, I can't even hear the word Terminator without hearing 'The Ballad of Tom Henke' :)

And Mike, I also think Jays to the Top is kinda catchy :)

August 16, 2015 @ 12:35 PM