CFNY / 102.1 the Edge Episodes of Toronto Mike'd

I grew up listening to CFNY. That's 102.1 on the FM dial if you don't recognize the call letters. Today, the station is best known as 102.1 the Edge.

Since I'm interested in the station, past and present, I've invited a number of personalities from the station to my home studio for episodes of my podcast, Toronto Mike'd. I thought it might be fun to assemble a full list of such CFNY broadcasters, past and present.

Jason from Sudbury

Out of all those the Kid Craig podcast was the most awkward and fucked up.

September 11, 2016 @ 1:35 AM

mike

live Earl jive, Beverly Hills and Pete and Geets were some prominent past dj's on cfny.

September 12, 2016 @ 10:36 AM

@mike

Yes. Pete Griffin actually passed away a few years ago.

September 12, 2016 @ 10:37 AM

Barry

The Marsden episode is easily my favourite Toronto Miked podcast. I think I'll listen to it again.

September 12, 2016 @ 12:52 PM

Ryan G

I remember listening to Earl and Beverly one time, when halfway through a song Earl literally took the needle off the record because he didn't want to hear it anymore. You won't get that anymore.

I also remember the jocks often taking call after call live on air, which had a distinct rawness to it compared to the pre recorded, perfectly polished and edited phone calls they try to pass off as live nowadays.

And with any song accessible to anyone on a smartphone nowadays, do people actually call radio stations to make requests anymore? I suppose people in a work environment with a radio station on do this, but with strict curated playlists, I wonder if jocks just take the requests as lip service since the CRTC mandates it.

September 13, 2016 @ 10:35 AM

Andrew

Earl and Bev are the reasons I'm in this industry. They gave a then 17 year old kid a chance to work with them in the music department and fall in love with an industry.

I sat on the floor of their house for three days in January of 1990 tallying up all the votes for the Top 102 of of the decade. I helped them move their house and Earl's massive record collection, and I do mean massive!

The last I saw them, they were professional house sitters and doing a bunch of other things.

I will always be grateful to them for giving me a chance.

Cheers,