Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 105: Maie Pauts

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 105In this 105th episode, Mike chats with CFNY 102.1, CHUM FM and Boom 97.3 host Maie Pauts about her career in radio. This episode is exactly 56:50.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd at https://www.torontomike.com/podcast/.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Rick C in Oakville

Going to give this a listen Wednesday, heading to the east coast for 16 days of work. Always loved Maie's voice.

January 13, 2015 @ 9:38 PM

Andrew

Great podcast Mike. Her voice floods back so many great memories. I was amazed at the first clip you played. I forgot what it was like for 'dj's' to be able to talk and connect with their listeners. It can be such a powerful medium when used in the right way and that was a perfect example. I've said it before and I still say it, with streaming music coming into play, radio stations are going to need a reason for people to tune in. Talent, people who can connect with their audience will be that reason.

FM radio has a big problem on their hands and Eric Alper tweeted out a great article from Billboard about what stations will need to do in the era of streaming music.

Cheers,
Andrew

January 14, 2015 @ 8:44 AM

Thanks!

I enjoyed this one.

By the way, I've updated all the episode players to the HTML5 standard, so they should work on your Android devices and iPhones now.

January 14, 2015 @ 3:06 PM

Lyle Lanley

Great episode! I love her voice.

January 14, 2015 @ 4:16 PM

markosaar

Loved the episode, so damn nostalgic. I haven't heard her since being a kid listening to 102.1 in the 90s.

And yes, The Verve are so damn good. Urban Hymns is great, but I tend to listen to A Storm In Heaven more often these days for its psychedelic shoegazery sound.

January 14, 2015 @ 5:30 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Hard to believe Maie's career almost spans 30 years. You had some excellent clips of her on air, all the clubs that are no more in Toronto were interesting to hear again, along with the bands.

January 14, 2015 @ 8:41 PM

Liz

@Toronto Mike

Sat down late this afternoon to listen to this incredibly nostalgic, soothing interview. Grabbed a towel, headed down to the pool and plugged in. I was immediately transported back to my high school/university days and I felt really, really happy about that. Maie's voice is magical - and easily one of my favourites. If not favourite. I'm pretty sure I nodded off a little bit as my mind started to wonder - because Maie's voice puts me back into places and stages of life where I knew pure happiness. I'll listen again on the flight home on Friday.

Congratulations to you, Mike. I could tell you were smiling throughout this interview. Loved it.

January 14, 2015 @ 8:43 PM

Anon&on

Excellent. The Marek episode is my favourite ending segment, I think this is my favourite opening segment.
Agree with you and everyone else about Maie's voice. It isn't really a nostalgic feeling for me because I felt that way listening to her back in those days too. I think Maie always sounds like she's talking to you and with you, not at you or about you. She sounds very aware and caring of her audience.

January 16, 2015 @ 5:21 PM