Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 118: Dani Stover

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 118In this 118th episode, Mike chats with Dani Stover about her years producing the Dean Blundell Show on Edge 102, why she was fired, her battle with depression and her life on the air in Peterborough. This episode is exactly 1:18:07.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd at https://www.torontomike.com/podcast/.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Jason from Sudbury

Ooh, looking forward to this one! Gonna check it out this afternoon.

April 13, 2015 @ 8:16 AM

Derek

Great interview! BTW - Newcap owns Boom 973 and Flow 935.... and we're doing AWESOME right now!

April 13, 2015 @ 10:24 AM

@Derek

When are you and Kelly dropping by?

April 13, 2015 @ 10:30 AM

Derek

We will work on coming on a Saturday if that's cool. (is it normal to message on a comment board?) :-)

April 13, 2015 @ 10:31 AM

@Derek

That'll work! Dani dropped by on a Saturday.

And yes, this is the new normal.

April 13, 2015 @ 10:32 AM

Matt

It speaks volumes how guests respond to the dean blundell question. Pausing and trying to carefully choose their words.

April 13, 2015 @ 1:10 PM

Handsome Rob

@Matt. Indeed, it's always interesting to listen to the little details on those answers. I imagine it's because the radio industry is so small, and the odds of working again with someone large. Better to not burn a bridge.

Would really love to hear someone just blast him one day though.

Great interview Mike.

April 13, 2015 @ 4:12 PM

mike

really looking forward to this one, thanks Mike!. Have you reached out to Bookie?

April 13, 2015 @ 9:11 PM

Jason from Sudbury

Nice work Mike. Great interview.

April 14, 2015 @ 8:21 AM

McNulty

A few points:

1) The DBS questions is always interesting. I would love to talk to co-workers/employees of the show. It sounds like I worked for someone with the exact same personality traits. A complete bully at the office but had moments of humanity that never made up for all the bad.
2) Dani did come across as entitled when she was on the show. It turned me off. However, this interview shows that she seems like a really good person and I would have listened to her on the show she tried to get but didn't get. I have an idea which show that was.
3) You should have gone to the dance, Mike.
4) I would love to hear more discussions on mental health. As someone who struggles with it and had the person closest to me treat it like it was all just a bad headache, I think it does need to be discussed a lot more. Many people still dismiss it and things like the Bell campaign are just window dressing.
5) A great interview and Dani's honesty and experience offers a great perspective.

April 14, 2015 @ 9:59 AM

@McNulty

Often what someone will say on a hot mic and off the record one-on-one is rather different. I've heard both over the last couple of years, but can only speak about what's been said on the record.

What dance is this I should have gone to?

April 14, 2015 @ 10:08 AM

McNulty

Your daughter's dance!

The whole hockey/dance question!

April 14, 2015 @ 10:14 AM

@McNulty

Oh yes... you might be right, but my son's season runs from September to this next Saturday, culminating in this gold medal game. How do I miss that?

It's a no-win situation for me... I can't make both, and should be at both.

April 14, 2015 @ 10:16 AM

McNulty

Cloning.

That's the only answer.

April 14, 2015 @ 10:20 AM

@McNulty

I wish.

I worked it out with her. Her mom takes her to the dance competition Saturday and I'll take my son to his hockey championship. I'll definitely catch my daughter's next competition.

April 14, 2015 @ 10:23 AM

Al The Royal Pain

Great podcast as usual.

I agree with @McNulty, it's always good to hear talk about mental health issues.

In my opinion, by it's very definition, I don't think one can commit suicide without having some kind of mental health issue...at the very least a temporary one. At the very core of our beings, we are all born with a survival instinct (every animal has it). For one to commit an act that goes against that core instinct, some sort of mental collapse would have to happen. Again, just my opinion.

To me, the only exception to that is someone facing their own imminent death (due to some kind of awful terminal condition) deciding to avoid the pain and suffering by ending their life early.

April 14, 2015 @ 4:12 PM

An opinion

Great interview. I seem to enjoy the non industry related personal stories the most. Having said that, if you really want more forthcoming answers to industry related questions, you should reach out to people that are not in the radio industry anymore and are not worried about burning bridges.

April 21, 2015 @ 4:13 PM

@An opinion

Do you have anyone specific in mind?

April 21, 2015 @ 4:21 PM