Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 435: Ted Woloshyn

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 435In this 435th episode, Mike chats with Ted Woloshyn about his years at Q107, CFNY, CKFM and CFRB / Newstalk 1010 and more. This episode is exactly 1:38:40.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Ted Woloshyn and me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Palma Pasta, Fast Time Watch & Jewellery Repair, Property in the 6ix, Paytm Canada and BUKL. Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Palma Pasta   glb   Fast Time Watch & Jewellery Repair

propertyinthesix   BUKL   paytm

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Beatts

Are you guys related? The resemblance is uncanny.

February 26, 2019 @ 4:12 PM

@Beatts

You made the same crack about Dave Hodge and me.

February 26, 2019 @ 4:17 PM

bsmntdwllr73

A very tight show and all packed into a very tight 98 minutes or so, so nice work!! And most
surprisingly, despite my decades of dedication to the often pointless pursuit of the (recorded) rare, the weird, and obscure, I've never managed to come across Ted's comedy album in any former
formats, including 8-Track, if it was even released in that kind of version? A quick online glance at
the album cover reveals it to be a real beaut. Hopefully some kind soul will upload it to the
Intrawebs so that the rest of us uninitiated folks can belatedly be inoculated by its certain to
be hilarious charms?!?

February 26, 2019 @ 7:16 PM

dale

Thanks Mike for asking my question about him at Graham Cable. I also played on their softball team in very early 80's.

February 26, 2019 @ 8:22 PM

DougK

These interviews are interesting. I don't understand why anyone would pursue a career in radio. People are discarded by others for reasons that are opaque. Those who manage to be hired elsewhere must take the high road at all times or risk being permanently run out of their chosen profession. It's a high price to pay for being considered to be a "personality". Ted's story about his departure from CFRB is a case in point.

It appears to me that the number of on-air radio folk who actually accrue power is vanishingly small. Crazy business.

February 26, 2019 @ 11:47 PM

Al The Royal Pain

Great episode! Although it did nothing for my bingo game. I got one square...Real Talk.

February 28, 2019 @ 1:11 PM

Chuck 99

I found it amusing when Ted mentioned Garner Ted Armstrong when discussing his time at CHEX radio in Peterborough. Years ago, Don Daynard mentioned the same program when he appeared as a guest with Ted on his NewsTalk 1010 Saturday show.

Armstrong represented the Worldwide Church of God and preached doom and gloom which was a lousy fit for Top 40 radio. But the church bought the air time and allowed the show to be aired at periods when listeners were few.

Daynard pleaded with CKFH management to remove the show because it aired at 5:30 a.m. and he thought it was a terrible lead-in for his morning program. But the show stayed, because his bosses pleaded financial hardship and the show generated much-needed revenue.

February 28, 2019 @ 3:39 PM

Sully

Back in the halcyon days of CFNY, I loved Woloshyn and Marsden together in the afternoon shift. They were irreverent, original, and had great chemistry, along with the best music of the era. My buddy and I actually drove up to Barrie to see Woloshyn doing his thing as a stand-up comic at some local dive around 1979 or 80. He was absolutely the worst comedian I've ever seen, but that didn't stop him from enjoying a long and successful radio career. He sounded bored and bitter by the end of his morning run on 1010, but maybe he had good reason to be.

February 28, 2019 @ 4:49 PM

@Al The Royal Pain

You'll have more luck with episode 436.

February 28, 2019 @ 7:03 PM

Blair

I've always loved Ted. I saw a taping of It's Only Rock N Roll down at the CBC on Jarvis Street when the guests were Level 42 (lipsynching) and the Razorbacks (live). They also had the Wayne's Power Minute Par-tee/Par-tay episode and a Kill That Tune sketch where they imploded the old Texaco smokestack in Port Credit onto an old stereo playing "Honey" by Bobby Goldsboro. It was lots of fun.

No luck finding it on YouTube but if I dig out my VHS I might have Retrontario share my sweet moves in my Level 42 t-shirt swaying to Lessons In Love.

March 1, 2019 @ 10:39 AM

Alison in Ottawa

Ted's voice brings me back immediately to being in the car with my Dad....when I lived in Toronto up until about 12 years ago CFRB was my go to station. Thanks for bringing back such great memories.

March 1, 2019 @ 11:28 AM