Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 470: Geets Romo

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 470In this 470th episode, Mike chats with David Haydu, better known as Geets Romo, about his career in radio, especially his years with Pete Griffin co-hosting the Pete N' Geets show on CHUM-FM and CFNY. This episode is exactly 1:36:15.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Geets Romo and Me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Palma Pasta, Fast Time Watch & Jewellery Repair, Property in the 6ix, StickerYou, Camp Tournesol and Kapadia LLP.

Palma Pasta   glb   StickerYou   Camp Tournesol

Fast Time Watch & Jewellery Repair   Kapadia LLP   propertyinthesix

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

H.o.E.

No Lardette?
I had no idea he had just kept working off-air as engineer.
I remember I was listening to Richards and Romanuk on The Team 1050 on the morning Sept. 11, 2001, and when they first mentioned something flying into the World Trade Centre, my first thought (until a minute or two later after I had turned on the TV) was that some copycat idiot with a paraglider must have gotten himself caught on the antenna spire, like the one a couple of weeks earlier had done on the torch of the Statue Of Liberty.

May 28, 2019 @ 2:46 PM

Doug Thompson

Ironically, David "Geets" was the engineer who built and wired the Team 1050 studios in 2001. He later was named Director of Engineering for CHUM Ltd. We've been friends since 1967 when he first came to CHUM. Looking forward to hearing this one.

May 28, 2019 @ 5:10 PM

There's definitely Team 1050 talk in this ep, and Doug Thompson talk.

May 28, 2019 @ 8:58 PM

Doug Thompson

Oh oh.

May 28, 2019 @ 9:42 PM

Doug Thompson

An excellent show Mike. Geets has a plethora of stories that could have gone on for hours and hours. Happy you got him on the show.

May 28, 2019 @ 10:18 PM

Rob J

'TEAM 1050 talk' reminds me of all the times it was brought up in previous TM episodes and a pall seemed to descend over the studio until the next topic was brought up. Even 18 years later I wish it had survived as a Canadian option similar to ESPN Radio, but clearly sports-talk-radio needs to be local in order to survive in the Great White North.

May 28, 2019 @ 10:22 PM

Javed Jafri

I first discovered that the name Geets Romo originated with Del Close via the Beach Boys. Brain Wilson referenced Del Close on one recording session:

I personal;y recorded some Pete and Geets on CHUM FM in 1975 and it's on my site. Unfortunately has very little Geets and is mostly Pete. I think Geets only appears as Warren Downs for a short bit. I have two longer shows from them on CFNY.

Re Reiner Schwarz on CHUM FM. He was actually there before David Marsden. He left CHUM FM and ended up at CHOM FM in Montreal and Marden came to CHUM FM from CHOM.

Reiner actually had two stints at CFNY. He was there on the day they increased their power and could finally be heard in the GTA in 1977. I recorded him and David Pritchard that day and you can hear that on the site as well in addition to more vintage air checks of him on CHUM FM.

May 29, 2019 @ 12:03 AM

Javed Jafri

Here's the link to Pete and Geets on CHUM FM from my site. They can be heard on the first clip but it's mostly Pete:

and here's David Pritchard and Reiner on CFNY on the first day of it being a Toronto station from 1977:

There's lots of radio clips in this section of the web site including two of Pete and Geets on CFNY and one also has Fred Patterson and Mike Stafford:

Finally I remember calling up CHUM FM maybe in 1972 or 73 when I was hearing a gurgling sound on the stereo signal and they put me through to engineering and I spoke to Geets and he made a quip and I knew he was putting me on. I was just a kid and did not realize that the problem was not with their signal. I don't remember the exact joke he made though but it was Geets.

May 29, 2019 @ 6:45 AM

wade

Good morning Javed.

Thank you for the links to Reiner and David Pritchard. 2 of my daily listen to guys back when. I never missed Reiner on TVO Nightmusic either if I could help it.

May 29, 2019 @ 8:08 AM

Anonymous

@Wade.
Night Music was a pioneering show and predated MTV by many years. I seem to recall Reiner playing the video to Crackerbox Palace by George Harrison and Bruce Cockburns' Joy Will Find a Way on the show. He was keeping the flame of creativity alive for music on TV when things were going downhill on the radio.

Geets is right what is lacking these days is the freedom. Pete and Geets, Reiner, David Pritchard and David Marsden all had that to a certain extent and that's why we still remember their prime work.

May 29, 2019 @ 6:08 PM

dale

A great podcast for memories.
Bought my 1st sound system at Fairwiew Electronics in the 70's. Technics receiver, Dual turntable, Optonica cassette recorder & 2 Avanti speakers on a Fri. night & who was there was Pete & Geets promoting the store as they did on their broadcast. I got my stuff & was given a "discount" card when I talked to both of them earlier. 50% off & I saved a lot of $.
Pete & Geets were pioneers in radio as a team.
@Mike
a simple critique on your periscope. Not to be negative. You constantly keep moving your hands to the mic & keep nodding your head. I haven't seen any guests move their mics as much as you do.
Overall great Mike & keep up the great blog.

May 29, 2019 @ 9:18 PM

@dale

That critique is a little insane. Who cares if I move my hands to the mic and nod my head?

It's a podcast.

May 29, 2019 @ 9:45 PM

dale

If others & you see your periscope podcasts MAY agree. Just watch Mike.
Just my thoughts.
BTW thrown under the bus again like my son Andrew 2 months ago tweeting to everyone.

May 29, 2019 @ 10:11 PM

@dale

I guess I'm wondering why anyone would give a fuck if I nod and handle the mic. It's a podcast.

May 29, 2019 @ 10:16 PM

dale

Just watch yourself on these podcasts.
BTW SO LONG as you can't take any criticism from anyone.

May 29, 2019 @ 10:27 PM

@dale

I'm sorry if I snapped at you. It's just that you write me emails regularly and perhaps this sort of critique is better suited for a private email.

You see, the guest sits at one spot and just talks... so they can always face the same way. I have five different angles I need to cover. I need to look at the guest, look down at my notes, record and play audio from the laptop, adjust levels and play audio from the board, and I glance at the camera once in a while to make sure it's running. That's five different moves I need to make with my head, and the only way I can make sure the mic is still in front of my mouth is to grab the shockmount. This is what Robin Williams did as Adrian Cronauer in Good Morning, Vietnam. It feels cool doing it, so I'm going to keep doing it.

As for he nodding... I nod to show the guest I'm listening and understanding what he or she is saying, I guess. Who the fuck knows. And again, who the fuck cares? It's a podcast... I don't play to the camera, I record the podcast as I have for eight years and I let some people watch the cake being baked. Or not. It's completely optional.

Again, I'm sorry for snapping, but that criticism coming from you on this page shocked me. It really did.

May 30, 2019 @ 7:47 AM

wade

@ anonymous
I couldn't agree with you more . The days of these pioneers and the freedom are gone sadly. I still remember Reiner interviewing Frank Zappa on Nightmusic. And I'm sure I wouldn't remember it if it wasn't for Reiner and his skill at hosting that show,

May 30, 2019 @ 8:14 AM

Reiner got a lot of love from Dani Elwell during her ep.

May 30, 2019 @ 8:18 AM

Mark

Long over due, an in-depth interview with Geets. Thanks for including so many clips. This podcast brought back a lot of great memories. But much more than that. There was tremendous creativity in radio, which has largely dissipated, due to bean counters, consultants, and group ownership.... but that's another rant.....

May 30, 2019 @ 8:48 AM

FU

@TorontoMike ..

It's a shame you felt the need to delete my comment on your response to feedback. It's telling.

May 30, 2019 @ 8:48 AM

@FU

Dale's comment stays, because he uses his real name and has been contributing for years.

Send me an email if you'd like to discuss my nodding in further detail. Thanks, FU.

May 30, 2019 @ 9:10 AM

FU

@TorontoMike ..

The "nodding" is merely an observation. No biggie.

Your response to the OPs critique was the matter of interest.

There was nothing wrong with my now deleted comment on your reaction to feedback. Heck, it was 100 times less contentious than some of your past exchanges with Irv.

May 30, 2019 @ 9:26 AM

S.H.

Such great memories of an era gone by. Great job Mike and Geets!

May 30, 2019 @ 7:32 PM

Doug Fox

I was a huge Pete 'n Geets fan through their CHUM-FM and CFNY days. I recall one reviewer at the time describing their dialogue as "screwball patter," and that's exactly what it was, and it never failed to make my morning. Thanks for bringing Geets on.

June 3, 2019 @ 8:33 AM

JR

Geets came to my Oakville high school in the spring of 1977, part of our first and last "Enrichment Day". Outside people came to share their expertise. He was a friend of a friend of a math teacher; as I recall it was a bust. Not his fault.

June 3, 2019 @ 1:31 PM

JR

June 3, 2019 @ 1:31 PM

JR

Since David Pritchard was mentioned I think his last act at CHUM-FM was a Beatles documentary over a period of many days, where he played every song from every album. He was nice enough to send me a full typed discography in the mail. That's how I really discovered the Beatles.

June 3, 2019 @ 1:40 PM

Cyril

Hi TM
I am so glad you got Geets to be on your podcast. I hope you actually do have him on again. To me, he and Pete were even better than H+F. The many different characters he voiced made me roll out of bed laughing. Even hearing some of their skits brings me back to those days. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

June 3, 2019 @ 6:09 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Another great interview. Forgot how funny they were and not totally scripted! The bit with Stafford being the BBC 1 of 2 best was hilarious. Shows how radio years ago allowed their talent to spread their talented wings.

June 7, 2019 @ 7:10 PM

Michael Greenblatt

Hey Geets, remember Ontario Place?

June 20, 2019 @ 12:23 PM