Everything is For Sale

I was listening to the Jays game this afternoon. I'm struggling with Buck and Pat on the TV lately, so the radio has become my preferred method of following my Jays.

Ryan Goins hit a ground ball and quickly crumpled to the ground, writhing in pain. At the time, we didn't know if he had torn his Achilles tendon or what. All we knew was that our shortstop was on the turf hurt. That's when Mike Wilner broke in to tell us the injury was brought to us by some injury lawyer firm. That's right, even active on-field injuries are now sponsored events.

It's possible this has been the case for a while and I only noticed it today, but it felt rather inappropriate. It's one thing to have a pitching change brought to you by this company or an inning brought to you by that company, but an injury as-it-happens before we know the extent? That just feels wrong.

Today, everything in the media is for sale. If there's a potential buyer, they'll sell it. You can take it to the bank.

Andrew

Standard practise for all broadcasts... hockey's been doing it for a while and every US broadcaster I work for has them.

Sorry you don't like my audio ;)

Andrew

May 23, 2015 @ 3:09 PM

@Andrew

Actually, your audio is the best part. I wish there was a secondary audio channel where I could just hear your crowd noise.

May 23, 2015 @ 3:10 PM

Lorne

So is the short stop now going to sue the leauge, the team, the field, the other players, for "justice" for his injury? That's what the scummy vultures are for. That's what they're advertising. Go for it!

May 23, 2015 @ 3:47 PM

Anon&on

If you're going to have ads, why not clever connections? Personal injury lawyer for an injury is pretty obvious/clever- great if a fan is hit by a foul ball. Lawyer for a bad or disputed call, chiro for a collision, dry cleaner for a slide ... Strangely, I can think of a lot of lawyer connections for baseball.

May 23, 2015 @ 6:36 PM

Drunk Johnny Fever

@ Mike " I'm struggling with Buck and Pat on the TV lately"
What a pleasant way to say they are Shitt !!
Welcome to the club.

May 23, 2015 @ 7:28 PM

amos

wow. and people think more important i.e. heavier realities aren't scripted well in advance. If this was a political event it would be pooh poohed as a 'conspiracy theory' but really everything is a fucking conspiracy i.e. minds conspiring together to create reality. Yes Bush and Cheney conspired. The Liberals and Conservatives conspired to bring down Ford. It's endless.

May 23, 2015 @ 8:01 PM

@Anon&on

I find it pretty tacky... tying a sponsor mention to a player who could very well have severed his Achilles tendon and potentially ended his career.

May 23, 2015 @ 8:24 PM

Andrew

I know I'm connected to the show more than anyone else on this site or for that matter a lot of places, someone please tell me what is wrong with Buck and Pat?

And please don't say blah, blah, blah... give me actual TV reasons, because I can give you a list of names that are worse.

Andrew

May 23, 2015 @ 8:34 PM

Lynne

I can't put my finger on it, but they do get on our nerves after a few innings. Maybe they say the obvious a wee bit too much, or maybe they just talk too much. We watch with the volume turned down a lot of the time. They are both really nice guys though, and from time to time they have a funny anecdote.

May 24, 2015 @ 7:32 AM

Lynne

@ Mike

You are right on! There are some things that just shouldn't be commercialized and a player's injury is definitely one of them. That's horrible.

May 24, 2015 @ 7:36 AM

For me it just too much.

Buck get excited over routine fly balls.

Buck fawns over opposing stars like they're all Willy Mays.

Buck never lets the game breathe... never knows when to shut up.

And Pat likes to play Captain Obvious all the time, ensuring there really isn't a moment of silence.

I don't hate them, and might tolerate them more if we had a better team and were winning, but lately they've irritated me. I'm sure there are worse, I just wish we had better.

May 24, 2015 @ 7:37 AM

Andrew

@ Lynne

Listen to any hometown broadcast and you'll get the same feeling. It's the job of the home show. I could say that about any US side broadcast I've ever worked on. Listen to the White Sox home broadcast and let me know what you think of that. Check our the Texas Rangers show and get back to me after a few listens.

@ Toronto Mike

Who would you like in there? They broadcast 162 games... I agree, it can get repetitive, but what the hell else are they supposed to talk about ;) As a fan of audio, I'd like for some breathing room, but alas, in the this day and age of TV, that probably won't happen anymore. I get to see all the work the two of them do everyday, our production meeting before each show is astounding to me. Listen to the LAA broadcast tell me how it goes... listen to the Yankeees or Red Sox. If you think we are bad and sell a lot of shit, tune into the Tampa Rays broadcast.

I get it - I see all the comments on twitter and Facebook about the two. Someone just needs to give me who'd they like to have in there and please don't say Dan Schulman. Dan isn't coming back :)

Cheers,
Andrew

May 24, 2015 @ 10:06 AM

4x4 Time

Radio is fine until Wilner is on, and when he is on with Duane Ward, yikes...

May 24, 2015 @ 12:00 PM

dale

@ Andrew

I've listened to many other broadcasters from other teams & compared to Buck & Pat even though at times repetitive & talk too much, others are complete homers. Buck & Pat give credit to other players on other teams which many others don't even acknowledge their history or season.

Curt Gowdy & Joe Garagiola were best for me growing up.
Schulman is the best & has the best job in baseball.

P.S. Dans Dad was my wifes dentist when we lived in Toronto & she remembers seeing little Dan at his office at times.

May 24, 2015 @ 3:19 PM

Monty

I have just discovered your site and quite enjoy it - I must take my hat off to you as I notice you have an audio of an hour plus with Mike Wilner - Wow anybody that can put up with that jerk for over an hour certainly deserves at the very least a large cup of coffee!

May 24, 2015 @ 6:34 PM

@Monty

You should listen to my chat with Wilner. I'll bet you like him better afterwards.

May 24, 2015 @ 7:22 PM

Lynne

@ Andrew

Thanks for your answer. I don't think I suggested that Buck and Pat are especially bad at what they do. If I did, please accept my apologies. There is no doubt in my mind that they do a lot of preparation, and I do appreciate some (but not all) of the information that flows during a game. It was especially helpful to me when I was new to the game. Buck is an outstanding supporter of our Jays, and he knows a lot about Canada and Canadians. They are both great men who undoubtedly mean well. What I will say, and I don't have to listen to other home games to say this, is: they need to know when to shut up sometimes. When it's two out, two on, and EE is at the plate with a full count, I don't want any chitchat about his record with that particular pitcher or what he did on his last at-bat. Please let us just anticipate the next pitch. All the info we need is right in front of us at that moment.

May 25, 2015 @ 7:58 AM

Andrew

@ Lynne,

I don't take it personally, Mike knows that. What I do find is that people will complain about a certain broadcaster and then not give me reasons as to why they aren't liked, mannerism's, etc.

Baseball is all about numbers. It's a mathematics dream game. Everything is a stat and if someone finds some way to create one, then they do it. Look at WAR and FIB. Buck and Tabby talked about FIB the other night on the broadcast and the baseball nerds had a giant nerdgasm on twitter and Facebook :)

All broadcast people need to know when to cut back on the mic. Most, not all, are guilty of over talking and it really depends on the sport. Golf, for all it's azaleas and footbridges is a barrage of non-stop chatter. Have you watched figure skating? No one pauses... it's maddening!!

It's why I love doing world feeds, i.e.: olympics, world cups, etc. No announcers! :) In saying that, these people are my friends and I get to see a different side than anyone else out there. I don't mind critics... I love when other mixers I know give me suggestions or offer insight to my product because I'm surrounded by it day in and day out - same as an announcer.

I had someone on twitter just going on and on and on to me on DM about how bad they were and I finally just said - you should try it. The replied they couldn't do that... I said then shut the hell up :)

Anyway, please keep watching and listening - whether you have Buck and Tabby or Jerry and Joe as the sounds you listen too... if you keep that channel on, it still counts for ratings and I get to keep on working!! :)

Cheers,
Andrew

May 25, 2015 @ 11:31 AM

Argie

Growing up I loved listening to Tony Kubek. Like most I knew baseball but Kubek explained everything so well and frequently went into detail - which I liked at the time because I was a huge baseball fan/freak.

Scully and Shulman are the best play-by-play guys in the business.

May 25, 2015 @ 12:55 PM

Irv

Let's hope this doesn't expand to shit like Nascar.

May 25, 2015 @ 1:28 PM

Lynne

@ Andrew

We are tuned in to over 90% of the televised Jays games - with or without sound, so you've got our contribution to ratings, no worries. As Mike said earlier, Buck and Tabby are much easier to listen to when the Jays are winning :-) And then, of course, we watch all the October ball games to the bitter end, regardless of who is playing. But, with the exception of some winter Olympic sports, that's all we watch.

May 25, 2015 @ 6:22 PM

this guest

@ Argie,
I remember Tony Kubek. Very enjoyable listening.
@ Irv,
omg. Nascar! good grief Charlie Brown.

May 25, 2015 @ 9:03 PM

this guest

PAN AM GAMES.
AND THE FRENCH HURDLER IS DOWN.
THIS MOMENT BROUGHT TO YOU BY DR. BEN KISWELL BONE CLINIC AT STEELES
AND SMIRCH DRIVE.
'24/7 FRACTURE SERVICE AVAILABLE.'

May 25, 2015 @ 9:07 PM

Anonymous

DR. BEN KISWELL BONE CLINIC NOW SERVING LUNCH AND DINNEER IN THE WAITING ROOM.

May 25, 2015 @ 9:08 PM