Q107's Birth was 40 Years Ago Today

Q107 is 40 years old today. The station signed on with Deodato's "Also sprach Zarathustra" back on May 22, 1977 and the first song played was "Hard Rock Town" by Murray McLauchlan. The first voice you heard belonged to John Rode.

A tweet by @arc185 led me to this page that has a soundcheck of Q107's debut, but I didn't like the dead air at the beginning, so I edited the audio and am pleased to share it with you here.

Just before grunge broke in the early 90s (thereby keeping me tuned to CFNY 102.1 constantly to hear as much Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden as possible), I would try not to miss Q107's Top Ten at Ten. That's where I discovered Guns N' Roses and The Tragically Hip, after all.

Happy 40th to the Mighty Q!

Q107 personalities who have appeared on Toronto Mike'd:

Blind Dave

Wow! Al Stewart's "Year Of The cat"! Al is my all-time favourite artist since the mid-70's.

Thanks, Mike. Great find!

May 22, 2017 @ 3:54 PM

rockgolf

That's not Deodato. His version was a soft jazz style.

May 22, 2017 @ 4:20 PM

@rockgolf

You're right. Wikipedia is wrong!

May 22, 2017 @ 5:59 PM

Javed Jafri

There is a new upload. Almost 1 hour here on Q's launch. I think it was just uploaded:

May 22, 2017 @ 8:55 PM

Javed Jafri

Well I just heard the entire clip and save for the Steve Miller, Jethro Tull and Dan Hill tracks every thing else is probably on the current Q or Boom rotation. The SM and Dan Hill tracks are also mainstream and that's what the initial Q was about and that's why I gravitated more to the new CFNY.

I was happy when John Rode said he was going to feature some Steve Miller, was hoping it was something like Quicksilver Girl from one of his early albums. Also re that phone call from John Rode's mother and her hoped for longevity at Q. I think he had at least three stints at CHUM and that's where he spent the most radio time.

Throughout the years Q did have it's moments and early on the best show was Bob Mackowycz's Sunday afternoon show which concentrated on Punk/New Wave, 60's garage and psychedelia.

May 22, 2017 @ 9:44 PM

@Javed Jafri

Coincidentally, Bob Mackowycz Jr. visits me soon for an episode of the podcast.

May 22, 2017 @ 10:01 PM

Javed Jafri

Mike tell Bob Jr that when I first heard him on CBC Radio 2, I thought he sounded so much like his dad. I enjoyed that show as well. Also ask him if there's any way to hear air checks of his Dad's Sunday aft show on Q. That was must listening for me. Had some tape of it but have not been able to locate it. In fact someone I knew sat in just as a fan on a Sunday aft and took some records along that Bob played and at least two were mine. That sort of thing does not happen any more.

May 22, 2017 @ 10:47 PM

Jason from Sudbury

The Mighty Q isn't mighty anymore. Hasn't been for years actually.

May 23, 2017 @ 1:33 AM

James Edgar

I remember when it started. I wasn't listening to much radio at that time never having really gotten into top 40 AM after about age 9. It was awesome at the start and i heard a lot of new music including the Sex Pistols for the first time on Q. probably on Bob Mackowycz's show.

In the early 80's (?) Bob Mackowycz had a show called the Rock report. I think. that was must listen for a while at least.

CFNY's signal in the early days was weak compared to Q and Q was heavier so i listened to Q more often but by the mid 80's I pretty much gave up and stopped listening regularly.

May 23, 2017 @ 10:15 AM

Javed Jafri

@James Edgar. The Six o clock Rock Report was an excellent show even after Bob left. Great interviews and news. Steve Warden, Joey Vendetta and Rory O'Shea were latter day hosts.

I have a low quality clip of it here:

An interview with Universal Honey is included. There's a lot of sound clips on this "page" and so you have to look for the right clip. The sound clips I have uploaded as "posts" are a lot easier to narrow and find.

May 23, 2017 @ 1:57 PM

markosaar

Oh awesome. I loved Universal Honey. Thanks Javed!

May 23, 2017 @ 2:30 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Q was my high school (RH king collegiate) station for the guys taking Technical Arts( Shop Class).
Led Zeppelin, the Who, The doors etc.

May 23, 2017 @ 7:02 PM

Jason from Sudbury

Whatever happened to Rory O'Shea?

@Mike: Have you thought about trying to get Joey Vendetta on the podcast? I think he would be a great guest with lots of cool stories.

May 24, 2017 @ 12:21 AM

Javed Jafri

Rory O'Shea went to the Weather Network and may still be there is some capacity.

May 24, 2017 @ 8:12 AM

stephen

Happy to hear Bob Mackowycz Jr., has exited witness protection, hope he's healthy, .... enjoyed listening to him on TSN 1050 with matt cauz.

Q is long, long, long way from where they once were, how far the mighty has fallen.
Stick a fork in'em.
Just another Corus cookie cutter disaster.

Aside from Andy Frost & Al Joynes, not sure what sucks more, current playlist or the rest of the talking heads,

May 24, 2017 @ 5:32 PM

JAI

Having just enrolled in the Humber College Radio Broadcasting
Programme some of us were asked to do a street survey at the
Eatons Centre for the type of music people would like to hear on
this new station ...Q107. Humber Grads who were at Q included
Wayne Webster, Lee Eckley who later went on to CHUM FM and
Bob Saye who did weekend overnights..while still at Humber.
Oh our payment at the time for the street survey a lovely
Blue T shirt...Q 107 THE BEST POSITION ON THE DIAL.
I do have a picture of my self wearing very proudly their very
first T shirt. John Donabie was also at Q...

May 25, 2017 @ 12:48 PM

Javed Jafri

To mark the Q 107 anniversary. I have just uploaded two nice quality clips. One features Al Joynes for a bit and the other has DJ Eric Westin ( I think).

Today is also the 60th anniversary since 1050 CHUM became a top 40 rock station and I have some audio in honor of that. One is a rather unconventional recording I made off the radio on my cell phone and it actually features a bit of David Marsden. Click on my name to listen.

May 27, 2017 @ 7:37 PM

Tom McCartney

Mike
The "dead air" at the beginning of "Also Sprach Zarathustra" was probably the very low C on extended double bass players that open the piece. It is four octaves below middle C (commonly called C1) and has a wave frequency of 32 hertz. Most audio systems have difficulty reproducing that accurately.

June 1, 2017 @ 8:25 AM

@Tom McCartney

That would explain it!

June 1, 2017 @ 8:40 AM

Gary Middleton

Listening to old airchecks of various personalities from various stations, I came to the conclusion that John Rode was the most talented Toronto radio guy of the 70s and 80s.

June 10, 2017 @ 1:13 PM

Meredith

Over the last 25 years, I used to have Q107 locked on pretty much most of the time. However, the Mighty Q is not mighty anymore except for 2 features: Psychedelic Sunday and Records and Rockstars. There is NOTHING that makes this radio station interesting or unique. They play the same music as a myriad of stations. Alanis Morissette, Duran Duran and BNL on Q107? That's the very music they used to make fun of!

As for Jennifer Valentyne... Brings nothing to the Q table. She doesn't contribute anything but a bunch of "Awwws!" or "Ohhhhhs!" to everything Derringer says. To try to spin it that she is the Elaine in a Seinfeld team is really insulting to Julie Louis-Dreyfus, who is genuinely funny and engaging. I listened to Q a lot more in the morning this past week when Jennifer wasn't there.

Bring back interesting features like: The Champ, a day-long Psychedelic Sunday, a local evening DJ, better music!!!!

July 1, 2017 @ 8:49 AM

Javed Jafri

Have further repaired a tape of the 6 O Clock Rock Report on Q 107 posted earlier and now the audio has come alive with much better quality. Clip features Joey Vendetta, Steve Warden and Rory O Shea. Was reminded to fix when I came across a different tape of the Rock Report.

Re-presented now along with short audio clips from Punch Andrews on Mix 99.9, Mike Stafford on CFRB, Russ McLeod on 1050 CHUM, Terry McElligot on CHFI and Prior Smith on CKFM . Audio available on the main page of the web site.

July 31, 2017 @ 8:24 AM