Hammy Hamster's Adventures on the Riverbank

Twelve years ago, I sang the praises of Hammy Hamster.

I remember fondly being mesmerized by Hammy Hamster. Hammy Hamster was the lead character in a television show entitled Hammy Hamster and he was indeed a hamster. Not a cartoon hamster, but an actual hamster. His best friend was G.P. who was a guinea pig and there were others. These riverbank creatures had calming adventures and I was just psyched to see actual rodents performing. It was very cool.

Now, thanks to Retrontario, we have a full episode of Hammy Hamster's Adventures on the Riverbank as it aired on Global TV back in 1982. It even has the original commercials.

That's my jam right there... sweet, sweet nostalgia.

Jody Thornton

Hey JP ...lol

March 8, 2016 @ 9:13 AM

Al The Royal Pain

Wow! there there is a blast from the past. Is it wrong though that I found the commercials to be more nostalgic?

March 8, 2016 @ 9:32 AM

Ryan G / hobogauntlet.blogspot.ca

Man, filming that show must have been a nightmare. Likewise, I saw The Witch recently which, although not scary, was atmospherically superb. Anyway, the director was interviewed about the pain in the ass goat in the film known as Black Phillip. There wasn't much about it in the press however...you know...#BlackGoatsMatter and all.

Wasn't it HG Wells..or Dawn Wells..or maybe Don Knotts...who famously said never work with satanic goats, Canadian hamsters or giraffe puppets like the one who always stuck his head in the castle window in Friendly Giant? Speaking of which, a few years back I was clearly out of things to do one Sunday afternoon and went to the CBC museum on Front st, and the set of the Friendly Giant was on display. The illusion of course was shattered, particularly since on the back of one of those flimsy castle walls someone wrote "Mr. Dressup is a Pussy", clearly a sign of some inter CBC jealousy.

March 8, 2016 @ 9:55 AM

Rob J

A second appearance by retrOntario on TM would be appreciated at some point. People who say ads don't work are dead-wrong. I was humming along to those commercials i hadn't seen since gr 6

March 8, 2016 @ 12:07 PM

Rick C in Oakville

My son was mesmerized by Hammy Hamster. Wasn't it filmed at the Toronto Zoo? Was always surprised that Hammy never jumped out of his boat for a good swim.

March 8, 2016 @ 12:22 PM

Tim

I remember the circus episode where they had hamsters jumping on trampolines attached to wires. No animal welfare groups complaining back then. I also heard that they went through a lot of rodents during the course of the show. I loved Matty with his tail in the water on his boat and the crooked Herb gerbil boat salesman

March 8, 2016 @ 12:36 PM

@Rob J

I was thinking the same thing.

March 8, 2016 @ 1:14 PM