Hammy Hamster

Hammy HamsterI remember fondly being mesmerized by Hammy Hamster. Hammy Hamster was the lead character in a television show entitled Hammy Hamster and he was indeed a hamster. Not a cartoon hamster, but an actual hamster. His best friend was G.P. who was a guinea pig and there were others. These riverbank creatures had calming adventures and I was just psyched to see actual rodents performing. It was very cool.

The creator of Hammy Hamster and the soothing voice who narrated the show was Paul Sutherland. Paul passed away on May 15 at age 73.

I'd like to thank Paul Sutherland for a creation that entertained me immensely in my formative years. I hope one day James and I can sit down and enjoy the adventures of Hammy Hamster and G.P. on the riverbank. I'd like that very much.

ophelia chong

do you know were i can get a video of Hammy?

:O)
ophelia

ps watched it as a kid in toronto, i now live in los angeles

October 17, 2007 @ 4:52 PM

Toronto Mike

Sorry, I don't know where you'd score a video. I think this show was a Canadian thing - did it air on CHCH?

October 17, 2007 @ 6:07 PM

G.P.

The show was actually called "Tales from the Riverbank", but our faitful TV guides in The Star or The Sun always referred to it as "Hammy Hamster".

Here's a youtube link!

Enjoy!

July 7, 2008 @ 10:15 PM

G.P.

Ooops.

Forgot the link, for some reason.

But... that's another story!

:o)

July 7, 2008 @ 10:16 PM

zhu zhu hamsters

I dont know about the series but using hamster on a such series film, that makes a lot of effort to teach him

December 14, 2009 @ 11:03 PM

Rick

I grew up across the river from Sarnia in the 70's and 80's. All we got was Canadian TV back then. I think Hammy was on Global channel 29 or I believe CKCO TV 42? The link on this site is to the BBC version. Does anyone know where to get the CBC version? It has a better narrator than the UK version. Thanks for the fond childhood memories Canada! Friendly giant, Mr. Dressup, Hammy -- Rush, April Wine-- Canada rocks eh!

August 3, 2010 @ 10:01 PM

Matt

Actually the pilot for the show was done for the CBC but they passed on it. It was done for the BBC as "Tales from the Riverbank" but the one I remember as a child had Hammy's mouse friend called Matty Mouse. The BBC "Tales" version had Roderick the Mouse. There was also an Australian version doen called "Adventures on the Riverbank" that had Matty the Mouse. Could that have been the one I remember? I grew up in Canada?

December 19, 2011 @ 3:26 PM

nicole

I am from Toronto and only remember Matty Mouse. I really want to see one again, but can only find the BBC version....I don't really like the sound of the British narrator. Are there any Canadian versions around?

May 19, 2013 @ 11:35 PM