How Kobe Got Squeezed by Mike and LeBron

Guys my age grew up in the Jordan era. We really, really liked Mike. To most of us, Michael Jordan is the greatest NBA basketball player of all-time.

Kobe Bryant's NBA career began in 1996-97. That season, Michael Jordan led the Bulls to the NBA title. With Jordan's career fresh in our minds, nothing Kobe did would ever measure up.

Then, in 2003-04, LeBron James debuted for the Cavaliers. Now, at 30 years of age, after his fifth NBA finals appearance in a row, real debates can be had. Is LeBron as good, or better, than Jordan? Maybe!

Kobe has been squeezed. He's the lynch pin between Jordan and LeBron, and as stellar as he was, he wasn't as good as either.

Kobe has announced this season will be his last, and he did it with a poem. It ends like this:

My heart can take the pounding
My mind can handle the grind
But my body knows it's time to say goodbye.

And that's OK.
I'm ready to let you go.
I want you to know now
So we both can savor every moment we have left together.
The good and the bad.
We have given each other
All that we have.

And we both know, no matter what I do next
I'll always be that kid
With the rolled up socks
Garbage can in the corner
:05 seconds on the clock
Ball in my hands.
5 ... 4 ... 3 ... 2 ... 1

Love you always,
Kobe

mrmojorisinca

Not better then Michael..but I think him and James fight it out for second until the next Phnom comes along.

November 30, 2015 @ 11:31 AM

@mrmojorisinca

Subjective, of course, but in my humble opinion LeBron is greater than Kobe... and LeBron still has a lot left in the tank.

But it's a fun debate... sports talk radio will do it to death!

November 30, 2015 @ 11:33 AM

mrmojorisinca

I think LeBron is amazing..if he can pull off at least one more title I think it might cement him as number 2..he get a fourth or fifth then he ends up eclipsing MJ..MAybe :)

November 30, 2015 @ 1:11 PM

andrew

Could Andrew Wiggins be the next Phenom??
2nd year in NBA & doing great & everyone in NBA has noticed.

November 30, 2015 @ 1:12 PM

mrmojorisinca

I think Wiggins needs to add about 50 pounds of mussel and then he will become great!
but not sure MJ great :)

November 30, 2015 @ 3:44 PM

Brian Gerstein

Totally agree about the Kobe squeeze. While LeBron physically is stronger than MJ, he is not even close in being the super competitive freak that MJ was, where he made everything personal on the court, and his leaping abilities in his prime are unmatched. MJ will always be the best for me, and no way that LeBron will be able to match his titles. Cool link here: http://www.landofbasketball.com/player_comparison/j/lebron_james_vs_michael_jordan.htm

December 2, 2015 @ 11:23 AM