My 10 Favourite Episodes of Toronto Mike'd in 2014

You've seen the 10 most downloaded episodes of Toronto Mike'd in 2014, but here are my favourites. This was tough, as I thoroughly enjoyed recording far more than 10 episodes, and I excluded all episodes with my buddy Elvis, but here's my 10 favourite episodes of Toronto Mike'd in 2014, in no particular order.

Jonathan Torrens

Hear it here: https://www.torontomike.com/2014/01/toronto_miked_podcast_episode_65.html

Why it's a personal favourite: In early 2014, I wasn't certain what I wanted my podcast to become. Then, out of the blue, I received an email from Jonathan Torrens.

Jonathan was interested in renting my podcast studio to record the first episode of his podcast with Jeremy Taggart, but I was more interested in him coming on my podcast and answering my many questions about Street Cents, Jonovision, Trailer Park Boys and the Degrassi movie.

Jonathan took a very expensive cab ride to and from my place during a very short visit to Toronto and when he left I knew exactly what I wanted my podcast to be.

Ed the Sock

Hear it here: https://www.torontomike.com/2014/10/toronto_miked_podcast_episode_94.html

Why it's a personal favourite: I was a big fan of Ed the Sock growing up, and it was a thrill to not only chat with Ed's creator but also Ed himself. Yes, Ed is a sock, but he still succinctly and hilariously says what I'm thinking.

Jeff Marek

Hear it here: https://www.torontomike.com/2014/04/toronto_miked_podcast_episode_74.html

Why it's a personal favourite: To this day, no podcast has run as long as this one. The report was natural, the conversation fun and interesting and by the end of the first hour I forgot we were recording. I loved chatting with Jeffy.

Maddog

Hear it here: https://www.torontomike.com/2014/10/toronto_miked_podcast_episode_92.html

Why it's a personal favourite: Maddog was a listener of the podcast, and if he was going to guest he wasn't going to hold back. The brutal and refreshing honesty from him made for compelling audio. With every episode I record now, I aim to recapture that rawness I heard from Maddog.

Mike Wilner

Hear it here: https://www.torontomike.com/2014/11/toronto_miked_podcast_episode_96.html

Why it's a personal favourite: Mike is a divisive personality amongst Jays fans. An ongoing joke in my circle when someone comes off arrogant or condescending is to call him or her "Wilner".

Mike came over intending to be as honest as possible and I believe he was. Afterwards, as people heard his hour with me, I kept hearing the same thing. I had humanized the beast. Those who disliked him immensely were willing to admit they simply misunderstood the man.

Strombo

Hear it here: https://www.torontomike.com/2014/12/toronto_miked_podcast_episode_103.html

Why it's a personal favourite: I could record another 1000 episodes and not recreate this perfect storm. George was generous with both his time and his honesty, and we truly hit it off. We were two pals having a deep and interesting convo and to this day I can't quite remember what was said during the recording and what was said afterwards. It was pure magic.

Mark Hebscher

Hear it here: https://www.torontomike.com/2014/08/toronto_miked_podcast_episode_89.html

Why it's a personal favourite: Much like with Ed the Sock, I grew up a big Hebsy fan. Sportsline was my show and Mark was the star. The conversation was so awesome, I've asked him to come back on to share more stories in late February.

Erin Davis

Hear it here: https://www.torontomike.com/2014/07/toronto_miked_podcast_episode_84.html

Why it's a personal favourite: I had never met Erin Davis and wasn't sure what to expect. I suppose I thought she might play it ultra safe because of her prominent role on such a G-rated show.

Instead, she was completely down to earth and honest and completely engaging. Today, we exchange emails and Twitter DMs regularly and just last week I made my debut on CHFI during Erin's show.

Ashley Buchholz from USS

Hear it here: https://www.torontomike.com/2014/11/toronto_miked_podcast_episode_95.html

Why it's a personal favourite: Ashley is like nobody else I've interviewed. He just seemed to see things differently, and think in this creative manner that made it crazy fun to have a conversation with him.

It helped immensely that I was a legit fan of his band, making this a special thrill.

Tribute to Martin Streek

Hear it here: https://www.torontomike.com/2014/07/toronto_miked_podcast_episode_82.html

Why it's a personal favourite: No episode took longer to produce, and as episodes go, this one was definitely the greatest risk. Based on the positive response, it worked. I was extremely pleased.

Although some of the guests were clips from previous episodes (Alan Cross, Todd Shapiro, Fred Patterson, Bingo Bob, etc.) I made fresh calls to some very interesting people, including Brother Bill and David Marsden. I like to think Martin's memory was fairly and justly honoured.

Anon&on

I think Jonathan Torrens would be my #1, Ed the Sock 2nd, everything on your list was excellent. The last 10 minutes or so of the Marek episode was one of my favourite bits ever.

I think the ultimate would be a roundtable with Strombo, Marek, Torrens. It would go on for about 4 hours, you'd break it up into a 4 part serial.
Any thoughts or situations come up where you considered doing a remote?
Your podcast is every bit as good or better than many of the top rated professional podcasts out there.

January 11, 2015 @ 1:44 PM

dale

I listened to most of these & overall your podcasts have been very entertaining & informative. You are a professional. Keep up the good work.

Just a thought - would U consider having many of us long time readers of this blog in a future episode? I'm willing.

January 11, 2015 @ 2:28 PM

Lyle Lanley

I agree 100% with anon&on.

Grade A podcast, Mike.

January 11, 2015 @ 6:39 PM

@Anon&on

I have not yet considered a remote, because I like to get the guest all comfy on my turf so I can charm them into revealing things they wouldn't reveal on Letterman or Ralph Benmergui.

But I totally would do a roundtable... although I currently only have the three microphones.

January 11, 2015 @ 6:51 PM

@dale

I'm open to all such possibilities.

I must disagree with you on the "professional" comment. I'm fairly certain one needs to be paid in order to be a professional. I'm most definitely not a professional, although I aim to sound like one.

January 11, 2015 @ 6:53 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Strombo is my #1, and Marek would be a close 2nd, and Maddog 3rd.

January 11, 2015 @ 7:36 PM

elvis

I don't make this bullshit list?

January 11, 2015 @ 7:57 PM

@elvis

You were ineligible.

January 11, 2015 @ 8:01 PM

dale

You sure are "becoming" a professional much better podcasts with great personalities you have interviewed the last while. You already sound like 1.

Strive to be better & you will accomplish & you can do it Mike.

January 11, 2015 @ 8:12 PM

Rick C in Oakville

I also wanted to add the Erin Davis Episode. She really showed how down to earth she really is, having the same troubles, and life challenges/struggles we all deal with.

January 11, 2015 @ 8:16 PM

Andrew

@ elvis

Join the club ;)

Cheers,
Andrew

January 11, 2015 @ 8:19 PM

@Andrew

Also ineligible.

January 11, 2015 @ 8:22 PM

Handsome Rob

I listened to the Strombo episode twice, back to back while wrapping Christmas presents. There were times through the almost two hour show that I'd realize I wasn't wrapping, just sitting there totally engrossed in the conversation. It didn't seem like an interview, just a couple guys catching up. Fantastic job!

January 11, 2015 @ 9:35 PM

Very kind.... thank you for listening.

January 11, 2015 @ 10:58 PM

Andrew

Damnit!!!
;)

If you ever decide to do a remote Mike, let me know so I can make a sketch so you know where everything has to go!

Cheers,
Andrew

January 12, 2015 @ 9:20 AM

@Andrew

Heck, I'd like to see that sketch anyway!

January 12, 2015 @ 9:24 AM

Broni

A lot of these guests came to play. Erin Davis, Maddog, Strombo, Marek to name some.
In today's media world of 10-second sound-bites, fantastic one-hour commercial-free discussions like this hardly exist.
I finally listened to Barb DiGuilio's last night and went crazy when she couldn't remember details of the early days of The Fan. She thought it was minutae, but the "how I got here and here's who was in my orbit along the way" is usually my favourite part of your podcast!

January 12, 2015 @ 10:40 AM

Honourable mentions go to:

Greg Brady
Humble and Fred
Jeremy Taggart
Alan Cross
Scot Turner

I loved all five of those. It was very, very difficult to arrive at a top 10.

January 12, 2015 @ 5:19 PM

Jason from Sudbury

My favorits...Strombo and Marek being my top 2, the rest is in no particular order
Strombo
Marek
Alan Cross
Mad Dog
Martin Streek tribute
Colleen Rusholme
Jonathan Torrens
Erin Davis
There's a few more, I just cant think right now.

January 12, 2015 @ 6:44 PM

Broni

@ Mike
Speaks to the quality of your podcast when those names don't crack your Top 10.

January 13, 2015 @ 8:16 AM

Monica

Started listening and have gone back to some old episodes.

I was excited when I saw jonothan Torres name. Great episode.

I remember the commercial you mentioned with bill parrott. I believe it was him....lol

You can ask him yourself. He's a real estate agent in Etobicoke.

M