Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 94: Ed the Sock

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 94In this 94th episode, Mike chats with Ed the Sock about Jian Ghomeshi and Ford Nation, and Steven Kerzner about the storied career of Ed the Sock on Canadian television. And yes, I asked him about Triumph the Insult Comic Dog. This episode is exactly 1:01:27.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd at https://www.torontomike.com/podcast/.

20141029_151104

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Sam in Pickering

Great episode.

I like how it was structured with Steven and then Ed.

Ed's bit at the end about Jian and Doug Ford was perfect.

October 29, 2014 @ 6:44 PM

Allan Sorensen

best interview ever of the legendary Ed creator.
A pleasure to hear

October 29, 2014 @ 8:13 PM

Bing

I agree with Allan.

This is the definitive Ed the Sock interview.

Great stuff!

October 29, 2014 @ 8:45 PM

Lynne

As a 61 year old woman, way outside the demographic for Ed the Sock (and this excellent blog most, but not all, of the time), I have to say that the sentiments expressed by Ed concerning JG and the Fords exactly mirrored my own...except our sock friend said it so much better. Well done, you three!

October 30, 2014 @ 12:17 PM

Thanks, Lynne!

I've always been an Ed the Sock fan, so this was a big thrill for me.

And I also agree with what Ed had to say about Jian Ghomeshi and Ford Nation. He nailed both!

October 30, 2014 @ 1:42 PM

Mike from Lowville

@ T.O. Mike.....is Howard still talking to you?

October 31, 2014 @ 7:46 AM

Lynne

@Mike - You are most welcome! But I have to admit it shook me up a bit to realize I think like a sock. You are never too old to learn something new about yourself.

October 31, 2014 @ 7:56 AM

@Mike from Lowville

Humble? Yep.

He called me last week and we chatted.

I'll be seeing him on November 5.

October 31, 2014 @ 9:05 AM

Anon&on

Excellent! Ed is the Howard Stern of the animated clothing world (actually I prefer choose Ed to Stern).
That's a pretty remarkable career to date. I can't think of another character or persona in (canadian) media that has endured in so many different situations over such an extended length of time. And certainly that resume would spell tropical island early retirement paradise in the US.
Bang on with the CTV/Rogers thing.

The questions I'm left wondering about-
Did you ask if you could put your hand up Ed's ass? Did he let you?
How many 'stand-ins' or body doubles does Ed have (or has he had over the years)?
Is that still the original Ed or has Ed had so much cosmetic surgery over the years, he's barely a thread of his youthful self?

And most pressing, WTF is that mug in the background of the picture?

October 31, 2014 @ 7:38 PM

@Anon&on

No, I never put my hand up Ed's ass. And I forgot to ask how many Ed's there have been, but maybe i will now via email.

That mug is my Andre the Giant mug from the mid-80s. I once wrote about it here: http://www.torontomike.com/2009/05/andre_the_giant_mug.html

November 1, 2014 @ 9:14 AM

I spoke to Steven Kerzner today.

He tells me he's on his 11th Ed.

November 1, 2014 @ 12:43 PM

Rob

Great interview with Steve K and Ed.
People should check out Ed and Red's (Liana K) Podcast on Soundcloud.
Liana K goes off on a passionate rant on that former CBC Radio Host.
I think that H & F might want to book her as a Guest on their Panel of Women Segment.
Hell maybe you should just get Liana K (sans the sock) on your podcast first.

November 2, 2014 @ 9:31 AM

@Rob

I'd be happy to have Liana K on, but I'm not much of a gaming or comic books guy. I'd have to fake it, and I'm not sure that's what I want this podcast to be.

I proudly haven't faked it yet!

November 2, 2014 @ 9:34 AM

rob

@TorontoMike
Come on, Use that big Giant Brain of yours, What I listen to Liana K is much more than "gaming or Comic books".
OK
Here is a start, how about "looks and perception in the media"
plus you can also include "gaming or Comic books", you might just learn something as well as your listener.
Isn't that what your podcast is all about?
or can I assume that you know everything about Erin Davis or Mad Dog, before you started the interview.

November 2, 2014 @ 2:42 PM

@rob

Yeah, yeah.

Like I said, I'd be happy to interview her, but considering I just learned she existed, I'm not exactly in hot pursuit.

November 2, 2014 @ 6:02 PM

markosaar

He got some traction/attention with this post:

Bit too long to cut & paste here, but worth reading. He focuses on the institutional acceptance of divas like Jian shitting all over their subordinates in the workplace.

November 5, 2014 @ 12:35 AM

HellNO

Ed the Sock and his wife have no place speaking against Ghomeshi: http://theralphretort.com/liana-k-husband-accused-psychological-abuse/

Liana has taken to using Tumblr to slander a survivor of domestic abuse, and Steven (Ed) supported her in their lies and harassment. http://liana-k-truth.tumblr.com/

January 23, 2015 @ 4:41 AM