Does Anyone Else Like Mike Wilner?

Mike WilnerI like Mike Wilner. I follow him on Twitter and always enjoy his appearances on The FAN 590. He knows his baseball, particularly Blue Jays baseball, and I appreciate his lack of tolerance for ignorance and nonsense.

Some people find this attitude disrespectful and rude. I had some Twitter conversations yesterday with people who outright dislike him.

Does anyone else like Mike Wilner? What do you think of him as a Blue Jays analyst?

519 Rob (aka soundinmymemory)

Ugh...first thing I see there is my twitter error (should read THE not HE).

If you take a look at Wilners Twitter feed last night, he was getting it pretty good over apparently losing it on a caller who asked if he thoughts the Jays would send Romero down (they did). And instead of admitting he was wrong, he continued on the offensive.
I am wrong (very) often, its the perils of having a strong opinion (I know EVERYTHING about music, just ask anyone that knows me).
But sometimes you have to be able to admit when you are wrong. I don't believe Wilner can do that. He continues to spends his energy attacking people who disagree with him.
I would not miss him if, say, The Astros came calling.

March 27, 2013 @ 9:38 AM

CC

Wilner definitely comes across like an arrogant tool.

But he does know his shit.

March 27, 2013 @ 9:43 AM

Mike Kic

He knows baseball and the Jays but I could care less about him.

I feel that he defends the Jays way too much when people call on to voice their opinions, I get it that he works for the Jays, but saying X player has been horrible this year for example is okay to say.

We as fans have the right to voice our displeasure with the team.

I liked him better on Rogers Channel 10.....that was an awesome show!

March 27, 2013 @ 9:49 AM

It's worth mentioning that Mike Wilner works for Rogers and Rogers owns the Blue Jays.

Wilner's already had his wrist slapped for going against the mothership: http://www.torontomike.com/2010/06/mike_wilner_fan_590_suspension.html

Is it possible that message was received and he's more likely to tow the company line now?

March 27, 2013 @ 9:53 AM

S

Wilner is a condescending prick

March 27, 2013 @ 9:56 AM

Gary

Another way to look at this is....what would you do if you were on the radio and people continuously phoned in with stupid comments??

March 27, 2013 @ 9:59 AM

elvis

I like Wilner because he's better than us.

March 27, 2013 @ 10:00 AM

Kevin

Mike Wilner has always been a condescending, know it all who struggles to deal with opinions not in-line with his own.

March 27, 2013 @ 10:08 AM

Argie

I'm tired of the Jays and the season hasn't even started yet. I can't stand Rogers and now I hate 590 and Sportsnet with their Jays-centric content.

They might as well change the name of SN to JaysTV.

March 27, 2013 @ 10:26 AM

Steve

I think Wilner is very knowledgeable about baseball, and not as trapped in hoary, outdated, cliched ways of analyzing the game as other TV/radio people are. Also, the online only radio broadcasts he and Dirk Hayhurst have been doing this spring have been a breath of fresh air.
He also deserves a lot of credit for his indefatigable efforts to get Tom Cheek in the Hall of Fame.
He can be arrogant and defensive, and does not suffer fools gladly. But listening to the callers he so often gets, I don't blame him.

March 27, 2013 @ 10:32 AM

519 Rob

From the times I have listened, I don't blame him for his attitude with some. Like the folks that suggest 'Lets trade Jay player X for these 2 superstars from Y, plus a draft pick.'
But his poor attitude shows through not just on air, but VERY much on twitter.

March 27, 2013 @ 10:37 AM

Frankie from Etobicoke

He is both an arrogant fool and a company man and he's well-qualified for both jobs.

His employer (Rogers) is regarded with disdain and Wilner does nothing to dissuade you from that opinion.

An over-the-top play-by-play guy...those of us old enough can remember the same kind of homerism being practiced by the Toronto Toros of the WHA.

March 27, 2013 @ 10:54 AM

Al

He is very knowledgeable, which makes him a great analyst or colour buy, but his condescending personality makes him a horrible on-air personality.

I think he's found his place as part of the play-by-play team on the radio...I even don't mind it when he calls some of the game...although he's nowhere near as poetic as some of the master play-by-play guys.

They should get someone with actual personality to host the post-game show.

As far as fielding stupid questions by dumb callers is concerned...it's part of the job...if you don't like it...don't do it.

It's not like people are calling in for the privilege of being berated by him...that might be a show...but he's not that good where being a condescending c*nt can become a persona that people might grow to like.

March 27, 2013 @ 10:56 AM

Fun Facts: TV critic Norm Wilner is Mike Wilner's brother.

March 27, 2013 @ 12:54 PM

Kawartha Highlands

What are all the Jay's fans going to do when they come stumbling out of the gate and end up in the middle of the pack. Mr. Frost , with all the goofy calls he gets, he still treats Leaf nation with some respect.

March 27, 2013 @ 2:23 PM

elvis

Fun fact: Toronto Mike on Google+ is not Toronto Mike.

March 27, 2013 @ 3:29 PM

@elvis

My lawyers are already on the case...

March 27, 2013 @ 3:29 PM

Derrick

@Kawartha, we'll do the same thing any other sane sports fan will do. Shrug our shoulders and move on. It's just sports.

And if you're willing to call in to a radio show and put forth an opinion then be prepared to defend your opinion. I enjoy Wilner and he forces people to support their opinions with actual facts.

He is a bit of a homer though.

March 27, 2013 @ 3:59 PM

Cheryl

Who cares. I hate baseball. If he is a baseball guy, then I don't like him.

March 27, 2013 @ 6:09 PM

JP

I think Wilner's great.

SO many people call in with completely uninformed opinions, and it's a riot to hear him break them apart.

He's rude sometimes, but it IS just radio.

March 28, 2013 @ 1:54 AM

JP

I think every time there's been a baseball post on this blog, Cheryl has commented on it about how she doesn't care and doesn't like baseball.

If you don't care, then why read and comment on every single post about it then?

March 28, 2013 @ 1:57 AM

Steve

I like him. It took some time for him to grow on me, but over the years he has and I enjoy his take on things and his breaking down of people's stupidity even if I don't always agree. He's good at what he does, which is proven by not only his knowledge of the game, but by the fact that he draws a reaction positive or negative from the audience. He'll also forever be cool with me based on the work he did to get Tom Cheek the recognition he deserves.

March 28, 2013 @ 8:54 AM

Derrick

I don't think Cheryl is real. I think she's Argie's alter ego.

March 28, 2013 @ 11:41 AM

Argie

Derrick,

I'm not that funny. Apparently she is real.

March 28, 2013 @ 1:27 PM

Ron

I cant stand Wilner, he is an arrogant fat slob who cant admit when he is wrong. I love Sportsnet and really hope they get rid of him. I was excited that most of the Spring Training games were on the Fan but extremely disappointed to hear Wilner Broadcasting.

April 15, 2013 @ 12:35 PM

Robert Moses

With Wilner, you get what you get. A homer with some baseball acuity and smugness.

I do not find him interesting at all, for he is not non-partial for fans who are angry against the team for being out of the playoffs for 20 years.

April 18, 2013 @ 3:52 PM

Balamurugan

It's still early rite! After 60 games u will b saying the same thing .Now we hope other teams lose n ur Roger team win LOL. Pls get a another job

April 26, 2013 @ 9:23 PM

Balamurugan

Jerry Howard
Jack morris n then this looser .god help the world

April 27, 2013 @ 12:08 PM

Lisa sweeting

Like him a lot
Pat Tabler drives me nuts

May 4, 2013 @ 6:43 PM

Gary carr

Mike Wilner is a jerk. He criticizes fans for criticizing the Jays. He should worry more than they're indifferent like the Cayote fans in Arizona. Than he supports the Ahole Lawrey for telling fans if they haven't played professional baseball they should shut up. Can you imagine Harper or Ford using that argument. "If you've never been Mayor of Toronto you should shut up".
Wilner is a jerk.

June 15, 2013 @ 8:13 PM

Gary

Furthermore:
Wilner doesn't believe that Blue Jay fans should boo their team. Hello??? If anything Toronto sports fans have been criticized for sitting on their hands. Look around the world and every professional sports team aside from curling has been cheered and booed. That's the one priviledge of being a fan. We should tell him to remove his ear plugs the next time he's in NY at a Yankees game when they make an error.
Wilner doesn't believe Gibbons should be fired when it's obviously the player's fault. Hello???? The old saying is coaches are hired to be fired. The best coaches and managers have been fired in all professional sports when the team underachieves. No-one says that's right but it happens. All the time and it will for eternity. And the one simple reason is you can't fire the team unless you live in Miami. Now I wouldn't have had an issue if Wilner said it was too soon to fire him but that's not what he said.

June 16, 2013 @ 9:19 AM

Mike

I do not like him . When he is calling the game on the radio he likes to be heard and throw out all his stats that only the geek he is knows. Just listen to Jerry and learn how to call a great game.

July 13, 2013 @ 5:13 PM

DealMeIn

Wilner's opinion is always correct - just ask him and he'll tell you so himself. I recall his berating a caller about Romero and the fifth starter position. Turns out, Wilner was dead wrong, but he never admitted it or even apologized for what was uncomfortable to listen to even by Wilner's standards.

Sure, he knows something about baseball, but he knows far less than he thinks he knows (listen to him long enough from show to show and you'll hear his dumb ass comments and contradictory remarks).

I quit listening to him a month or so ago, so maybe he's changed. Nah...

Massive difference between arrogance and confidence; normally a lack in the latter results in the first.

July 22, 2013 @ 10:12 PM

Nate

Tom Cheek gets inducted into the baseball HOF today, and go figure, we get the great displeasure of hearing Mike Wilner call a whole game.
Wilner's long passed his best before date. I don't care how many stupid callers he has to put up with, it's no excuse for being a smug, know-it-all, ass.
Hearing him today refer to himself as a play-by-play announcer made me laugh out loud. He did admit he had a long way to go.
I hope he doesn't get the chance, cuz really, if this guy is the future of the booth, I'll stop listening to radio broadcasts for good.

July 27, 2013 @ 1:16 PM

Steve

Arrogant, charmless, uncivil except to cowed callers who agree with his opinions -- that's one part of Mike Wilner. Then there is the tireless, tone-deaf self promoter-blogger who has used his Tom Cheek Hall of Fame campaign to nakedly promote his own career. Harsh, unkind words? Here are the first two paragraphs of Wilner's blog this morning; note how much horn-tooting he manages to squeeze into a story that is ostensibly about his hero:

– I thought about not writing anything all weekend and just leaving the Tom Cheek-broadcaster column up so as many people as possible would see it, but because this was his weekend and it has been the pinnacle of my professional life to see Tom take his rightful place among the game’s immortals and know that I had even the slightest hand in making it happen, I had to write just one more Tom column.
I was overwhelmed to be personally thanked by Tom’s widow, Shirley Cheek, for my "tireless efforts" to keep Tom’s memory alive and get him the honour he so richly deserved. That one, to be mentioned in someone’s Hall of Fame speech, was far too outlandish to even be placed on a bucket list. I mean, seriously.

The sad part is he's a pretty smart, insightful guy who,if he ever got out of his own way, could be a good broadcaster.

July 30, 2013 @ 12:43 PM

Gary

I would have to say the Blue Jays have found their second baseman and I don't need what's his name to tell me it's way to early to tell.

August 26, 2013 @ 8:21 PM

adolf

Milner is an ignorant jerk who went to Humber College. He couldn't even get a university education. He is a big fat *** who knows nothing. No offence.

September 4, 2013 @ 3:19 PM

Roy

Net shows Wilner went to U of T, someone says Humber College, did he graduate? I like most say he is arrogant and in fact have heard other radio persons say he is a homer., Rogers time to replace?

March 4, 2014 @ 12:49 PM

Chas

Wilner thinks he's the smartest baseball guy in the room .. at all times .
We saw this in his dispute with Cito , who did win 2 World Series I recall .
But Mike no doubt feels he could have managed those teams juist as well .

On his blog " A Bunch of Stuff title Feb 3 2009, he questions the resigning of Jose Bautista at $2.8 million . Imagine if Jays had lost him to a better offer ?
He calls Jose "a decent bat vs lefties "

Plus for yrs he's been saying Jays are far better than Orioles , who keep winning more games than Jays .

His signature pet phrase on post-game " That's not true " is arrogant. condescending comment .

April 2, 2014 @ 1:00 PM

Dennis

The post-game shows on Leafs and Raptors are so pleasant .
Fans can vent and express diverse opinions .

They are such a contrast to the Jays postgame show.
Wilner must think he's the Pope of MLB.

Why do the Jays try to jam him down our throats ?

There must be all sorts of staff there that could do a far better job and be listener-friendly than this egomaniac.

April 2, 2014 @ 7:54 PM

Russ

Tried to listen to Wilner after game last night

Same old pontificating know-it-all.Correcting callers, extraneous stats to demonstrate his wisdom.

Don't know why Jays don't try someone else on postgame .

On a positive note, the new guy , Joe Siddall, imo is a real find .. Interesting, knowledgable ex-player , but not full of himself.

April 3, 2014 @ 10:25 AM

Buck

Now Wilner's trying to tell Gibbons how he should arrange his batting order .
Wilner , who felt Jays overpaid to sign Bautista in 2009, wants to move him into a spot that Bautista is not comfortable with .
In others words, move your best hitter over last several seasons into a spot Wilner prefers he hit in.

Wilner mentioned a pitcher on Jays who sounded like a "jackass". Look in the mirror.

April 4, 2014 @ 11:59 AM

Justin

Makes post-game show inlistenable .
Only his opinions count.
Don't know why they take calls .
Just let Wilner spout off and dazzle the listeners .

April 5, 2014 @ 2:51 PM

Greg

The good thing is the post-game has been so brief, Wilner only has had time to insult and correct a few callers .

On the Blair show, he gets put in his place by Blair and Siddall , who only tolerate so much of Wilner's egocentric cockiness.

April 6, 2014 @ 3:20 PM

Hugh

Howarth and Siddall do a nice job.
Wilner is more for updates .
He's opinonated in a obnoxious way , so it's best to ignore him.
I agree the postgame show's only value is to hear what fans
think, before Wilner tells them " That's not true " as if he invented baseball.

April 7, 2014 @ 12:12 PM

Homer

Wilner on DL it seems .
Broadcast is so much better .

Roger Lajoie does a nice job on postgamre and pre-game .. Love to see him fulltime replacement for Wilner .

Maybe reassign Wilner to Buffalo for seasoning.

April 13, 2014 @ 1:34 PM

Jeff

I agree Lajoie would be a good replacement fot Wilner . he has a solid baseball background yet doesn't seem to feel he has all the answers as Wilner does.
The postgame show should respect the callers , and not be a bully pulpit for the host imo.
This idea some in media have that fans are inferior beings is insulting. You see it on some blogs, where host thinks it's ALL about him .

April 14, 2014 @ 11:24 AM

Harold

With so many changes in TO sports, maybe replacing Wilner is a possibility .
You'd think the Jays would want someone who shows respect for their fans on the broadcast .
The trouble is many fans like to hear what other fans think after a game , but Wilner is so intrusive , talking over callers, and demeaning them , it's difficult to listen .
Luckily, there's other sports stations on the dial .

April 15, 2014 @ 9:18 AM

Vince

Looked over other opinions, and realise I'm not in a minority.

He is smug, arrogant, condescending know-it-all .

Callers are lectured to , and told opinions are wrong because they're not same as Wilner's.

He's getting worse, not better.
He imo wrecks what could be an intereting post-game show.

Everyone who subs for him is far more caller-friendly .

He's a bit like Colangelo was in BB in attitude.

April 19, 2014 @ 1:10 PM

Ben

Best way to handle media guys is to regard them as having an opinion like any other fan .

April 22, 2014 @ 2:54 PM

Gerrard

Howarth and new guy Joe Siddall are a nice team . Siddall is ex-player who really comes across are authentic .

Wilner is a pompass ass.

The Cito incident kind of branded him , but he still likes to stump and correct callers on what should be fans' chance to vent their opinions .

April 23, 2014 @ 2:03 PM

Harrison

Argumentative, seems to feel he's on post-game to interpret the game for lesser beings .
Has a stat to prove callers wrong on any issue Imo the worst on-air guy at The Fan .

April 25, 2014 @ 3:25 PM

Howard

Like to see Ben Ennis replace Wilner .
Find he's more open to allowing fans express their opinions , and doesn't get into arcane, convoluted nonsense that Wilner uses to prove callers wrong .
There's a chance to make postgame show a vehicle for fans rather than a lecture by professor Wilner.

April 26, 2014 @ 11:12 AM

Reggie

\ Wilner ..worst postgame show in any sport in TO radio .
He's a blend of Cliff Clavin of Cheers and late Howard Cosell , with apologies to both those two, who were at least entertaining.

April 28, 2014 @ 12:47 PM

Leonard

Meltdown by Jays bullpen vs KC .. Tough, disappointing loss .
2 Jay fans who care about team obviously call in to vent a bit ,
only to be mocked and dismissed by Wilner .
This guy is a PR disaster for Jays.

April 30, 2014 @ 12:30 PM

Crowley

Stats guy who uses that as his armour.... projects attitude of snorn for most opposite opinions .. acts as if he's talking to baseball fools ..
Has no class or common touch

May 1, 2014 @ 11:09 AM

Chris

It's a real dilemma because I like to listen to what other fans think, but I can't stand Wilner .

May 1, 2014 @ 2:27 PM

peter

Not sure why this guy is almost by default getting more air time than any other broadcaster on Sportsnet. Arogant condescending, god help us if he moves up to the broadcast booth. Last time I looked it didn't take three guys in the booth to call a game. I tune out for Wilners innings.
Doesn't anyone listen to Vin Scully. There is a standard to measure a broadcaster by. One guy. Tom Cheek was an ok guy. No hall of famer. Voted in because he died of cancer. Sorry, it's the truth.

May 2, 2014 @ 8:01 PM

Karl

I find Wilner a contemptible broadcaster.

Let's be straight about this: there is nothing wrong with confronting listeners with a different opinion, presenting statistics, or even being a touch condescending.

What makes WIlner so bad is how manipulative and hypocritical he is.

He will warn callers against using small sample sizes, but has no problem using them himself if it helps 'win' a point. He tells off callers for daring to ask how he is or their incorrect use of English, but will not censure his colleagues or Blue Jays officials and players for the same transgressions (hint: he sees you people as lesser beings).

His entire M.O is about 'winning' against every caller. If the Blue Jays are on a tough run, he'll say: "Remember that this time last year the Jays were 5 games worse off" or "The Jays are still just 3 games outside of first". If the Blue Jays are on a winning streak, he'll say "Nobody will want to call in today because the Jays are winning." The smugness is intolerable.

I've heard him compared to Cliff Clavin and Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons. Both true. I have a feeling that if a certain player is having a rough patch during a game, Wilner will be spending his time finding some kind of outlier positive stats that he can use to bamboozle callers in the post-game phone-in.

Final thing: a lot of the callers are people with lives. They are up at 7am to ready themselves for work, lucky to be back home by 6pm. They see their friends and family, have dinner. Then maybe at the end of the day they catch the ball game. Sure they aren't super-informed - they don't get to dedicate their lives to baseball or get their tickets for free, as Wilner does. Nor have they been able to enjoy a bit of civic pride as the Jays haven't made the playoffs for 20 years. Kids who were on their fathers' shoulders in '93 may now be 30-something men with grey hair and kids of their own. That's how long it's been.

Wilner needs to understand that base. Instead of acting like a small man who has his dream job and looks down on the rest of the fans from his booth, he needs to act like a professional broadcaster who respects the people who put dinner on his table.

May 10, 2014 @ 4:15 PM

Mike

Wilner often will get a barb in on some caller, just to be right. Listen to a true professional like Howarth who treats callers with respect and compare that to how Wilner treats so many of his callers. I always feel he is just waiting to pounce on callers as soon as they make a mistake. Callers are not used to being live on the radio and are often nervous. Wilner, on the other hand, is seasoned in radio and has any stat he wishes at his finger tips. I think he knowingly just takes advantage of any caller foible. In short, he is smug as hell, arrogant and needs coaching in civility and good manners.

May 16, 2014 @ 11:59 PM

Ben

I stopped listening to postgame show.

Read the posts above and you can see why .

My nightmare scenario is Wilner taking over from Jerry .

July 2, 2014 @ 7:27 PM

Scott

Wow. I was listening to this guy today and was so shocked at his arrogance. He kept telling his own audience they don't know what they are talking about and when someone asked what is up w Morrow the dick said you should have been listening last week, we all talked about it last week. Seriously what a dick. I've listened or watched 75% of the games sing 85 and will never listen to this douchebag again. I listen to 590 from 6-4, PST, and can toll orate or like the different styles of hosts but cutting down your own audience is reason for firing.

July 10, 2014 @ 12:29 AM

519 Rob

I'm pleased to see that I wasn't in the minority on this one. I haven't listened to his post-game call in show once this year. I just can't bring myself to listen.
I will say I like his play by play though, when he isn't patting himself on the back with his knowledge of statistics.

July 10, 2014 @ 8:52 AM

Freddy

Agree with post above : Wilmer is Cliff Claven of Jays' baseball

July 12, 2014 @ 1:35 PM

Gavin

Wilner is an impolite, obnoxious know-it-all.

Don't know why postgame show takes calls .

Just let pompous ass Wilner spout off on HIS opinions and baseball wisdom .

July 23, 2014 @ 3:06 PM

Winston

The Cliff Clavin comparison is on target ,

but I'd add egotistical style of radio conservative Rush Limbaugh .

Wilner was mocking his callers , saying you should hear the ones his

screener doesn't let on air to talk to him, Mike ( That's not

true ) Wilner .

July 28, 2014 @ 8:30 PM

David

I ordered the MLB audio package to listen to the Blue Jays games all season. I can barely keep listening when he is on. His is so rude and condescending. I'm baffled as to how he is on the air. The other radio and tv announcers are such a treat to listen to. I will celebrate when he is no longer affiliated with the Blue Jays. Hopefully that day comes sooner than later.

August 8, 2014 @ 10:11 PM

Howie

What qualifies this jerk to be such a baseball expert in his own mind,some journalism degree from Humber or wherever? Sidall, Tabler, Martinez have forgotten more baseball than this stat geek will ever know, yet he will say such stupid things like being fundamentally sound and doing the little things that win ballgames are not important. Also sick of him saying the Orioles are a bad team when all you have to do is look at their lineup to see he is wrong. Also he is totally unfit for play by play, a disgrace to guys like Scully, Harwell, Howarth, etc.

August 9, 2014 @ 12:58 AM

Mitchell

Wilner is at his most ridiculous when he goes back in Jays' ancient history to support his sacred opinions , or to rip a caller.

When many fans were calling for AA to make a trade a few weeks back , Wilner said you don't want to get rushed into a bad trade like when Jays got rid of Michael Young .
I don't think the caller was born when Young was traded.

August 9, 2014 @ 1:37 PM

Karl

David said:

"I ordered the MLB audio package to listen to the Blue Jays games all season. I can barely keep listening when he is on."

I agree. For years I listened to Ashby and Howarth on MLB.tv's audio overlay, which was a treat. But now that Wilner's doing much more in the booth I've had to switch to Buck and Pat. I'm no fan of their commentary, but at least they don't irritate in the same way that Wilner does.

The comments on this site have been very one-sided. Few seem to have time for the man. What odds he'd reckon it's because we don't appreciate good broadcasting, rather than him having to learn a thing or two about it?

August 13, 2014 @ 3:35 PM

Dennis

Now the station ran a plug for the postgame show saying if you never believed there were stupid questions,listen in after the Jays' game( paraphrase)
This scorn and mocking of callers is despicable .

Jays have gone 25-34 since their 38-24 start, so some fans are upset about the collapse . and should be free to vent without a Wilner lecture on how they should think.

August 13, 2014 @ 7:28 PM

Walter

Wilner said Jays are only 3 games out of WC so let's not be too upset even though the Jays led the Div by 6 games earlier in the season .Plus they're playing about .400 ball the last 2 months.
The annual injury excuse is getting more Wilner mention too.

He's even admitting he can't figure out how Orioles are playing so well when he has downgraded them forever.
Computers predict Jays have about a 25% chance at a wildcard.

August 14, 2014 @ 2:23 PM

Louis

Rogers is so dominating in this prosperous captive market, they can cram anyone down our throats .. Wilner, AA , Gibbons ..
If Jays slump continues, we'll get more excuses, and talk of future with Norris, Stromin etc. Sell the future
Like Beaston said . " It's a business "

August 18, 2014 @ 2:16 PM

steel

He is IDIOT point blank. Just said on radio jays rotation is pretty decent. What a knob.

August 19, 2014 @ 11:33 PM

Adam

Although Wilner didn't get the Commissioner of MLB job, he could replace Beeston or Leiweke, don't you think ?

August 23, 2014 @ 3:13 PM

Howie

Wilner the ultimate apologist, everything great when Jays led division by 6 games, dissing yankees @ Orioles' After they blow lead it's "they're still i first". After they fall out of first it's "they're still in playoffs right now". Fall out of wild card spot, it's they're still in middle of things". Now they are almost 6 games out, 5 teams between and 2nd wild card, can't wait to hear him say they're still in it, lot's of games left. Oh, and the lousy Orioles and Yankees are leaving us in their dust, partly because of moves they made at deadline, especially the yanks (MCcarthy, prado, headley, drew) all contributing but expert Wilner didn't want them

August 26, 2014 @ 6:26 AM

Dennis

Jays are 28-41 over last 69 games .406 , one of worst records in MLB over that stretch.
Someone suggested Jays could finish season 4-5 games below .500, and Wilner scoffed.
Wilner is starting to sound like" Wil the Shill" with his " it's not over " mantra.
Now he's on a crusade to bring back Goins to rescue the Jays, yet he opposed any trade to help the infield .
After all, Jays traded away Michael Young 14 seasons ago.
Wilner's spinning and constant demeaning of callers' opinions makes the collapse of the Jays worse.
Maybe 590 should call up a Wilner replacement from Buffalo along with Goins.

August 26, 2014 @ 3:07 PM

Morgan

Another brutal Jays' loss and another brutal postgame show .
Wilner continues to bicker with fans when they disagree with his opinions of course.
He even partially blamed JP for AA 's performance as GM the last 5 yrs.
with a caller about who has been worse for 20 yrs, KC or Jays .

Then he defends himself against being soft on Jays when almost every on-air host on FAN aren't afraid to criticise Jays.
Then he seemed to say he wants Howarth's job. Spare us that .

Luckily Roger Lajoie, both caller friendly and with no "suck-up to Jays" motives, , came on after Wilner and contradicted almost every silly thing Wilner spouted about Jays' and their wildcard chances.

August 27, 2014 @ 2:11 PM

Howie

Please, please, please, don't ever let unqualified Wilner take over play by play, Big difference between actually knowing baseball and spouting off obscure stats between pitches. I doubt he ever even played ball in his life and U of T journalism class probably doesn't have a team, so how does he figure he is even the least bit qualified to talk about anything to do with actual strategy or the ins & outs of the game. It's probably poor Joe Siddall's worst nightmare.

August 28, 2014 @ 4:56 AM

Alex

A caller last night made the mistake of trying to discuss the Jays' lousy play over last 2 months and Wilner almost had a nervous breakdown before he hung up on the guy.
Wilner wanted to celebrate the win over Boston, that had arrived with an 8 game losing streak and had won 1st two games of series.
Wilner maybe was just relieved Jays hadn't slipped under .500 after being 14 games over .500 a few months back .

Then Wilner tried to settle an argument about who was better infielder, Alomar or Lawrie , which is a bit like comparing Halladay to Stroman .
Wilner raved about Lawrie, who may be the most overrated Jays in history, partially because he's Canadian and because he is a "
Charlie Hustle " type who can't seem to stay healthy.

Wilner made the outrageous statement that Lawrie is the best def. 3rd baseman he's ever seen .
Hype and hyperbole know no bounds when Wilner gets rolling.

August 28, 2014 @ 2:11 PM

Richard

Jeff Blair suggested on air Sept 4 Wilner's wildcard chance calculations for Jays might be based on Scientology .
I think he was partially joking.

September 5, 2014 @ 2:00 PM

Anthony

Not sure if I heard Wilner say there is no need for sportsmanship in pro sports where winning and money are paramount.
If you pretend to be hit by a pitch when you weren't , that's ok.
Cheat all you want if it helps you to win.

Yet NHL is trying to get rid of flopping with fines.
It seems to me sportsmanship and ethical play should be a part of pro sports.
But maybe I misunderstood his point.

September 13, 2014 @ 1:01 PM

Dean

AA makes big trade and Jays have gone 151-161 over 2 seasons .
So, if I'm Wilner, I blame the players who AA assembled but not AA .
Then a caller says Jay's Wildcard chances are slim .. 0.6 after loss.. so Wilner says don't talk about that . Only use stats when they support Wilner's nonsense.
" That's not true. The truth of the matter is.. " Wilner's egotistical motto.

Gibby is likable and knowledgable baseball guy , but what MLB team would hire him as manager were he let go. AA seemed to want a manager defendant on him.

Keeping Wilner out of play-by-play has been good . Siddall is good .

September 17, 2014 @ 1:31 PM

Harold

The big issue Wilner is ignoring is that the trade broughtBuehrle and Reyes and their bloated contracts.
Reyes gets $22 mill next year and Burhrle $19 mill .
Cabrera will command big contrct.

What does all this do to Bautista and Eddie E. and their morale . They make half what these other 3 will get and most would think are as valuable .
Why doesn't Wilner discuss these issues?
Maybe because they might involve being critical of AA, who he constantly seems to protects. Ex. no need for trades at deadline

And let's not forget this Wilner gem .. ' Jays aren't out of WC hunt because miracles do happen " .

September 18, 2014 @ 12:27 PM

Bert

Wilner's like Johnnie Cochran with OJ.
He's got a guilty client who is paying him to defend him.
Wilner is in" excuse" and "look to the future" mode now that his phony wildcard race was exposed as pie in the sky pandering.

Using Jays' injuries as excuse in AL East .. that's pure nonsense .Compared to who?
What if Jays had lost their best starters this year like NY ..
or 3 Allstars like Orioles ?
Fortunately, most of the station's experts tell it like it is .Be nice if Wilner tried that
occasionally. .

September 20, 2014 @ 11:11 AM

Leonard

The Sporting News recently rated all 30 MLB GMs.

AA rated 22 out of 30.

September 29, 2014 @ 11:52 AM

Walter

Wilner repeated the silly logic that since Mitch Williams said the Blue Jays would be lousy and they were mediocre and out of playoffs, that it's wrong to say Jays' season was disappointing .
Jerry Howarth , a man of integrity who does not act as a shill for Jays , called the last 2 seasons " disappointing ".

September 30, 2014 @ 7:34 PM

Ben

Blair asked Beeston key questions, but Beesty is a pro at doubletalk .
Raptors got rid of an ineffective GM , brought in Ujiri who has transformed the Raptors in a hurry . look how he made the brilliant Gay trade, got rid of Barg, signed Lowry .
Compare that to Beeston and AA.
The big trades have been so-so, and Cabrera is still unsigned .
Reyes and Buerle have $40 mill in money for 2015.
Team went 45-55in last 100 games, and 2-8 in crucial chase for wildcard, then finished with 5-6 meaningless wins to make record look respectable.
Beeston used the injuries as excuse, although he "hates to do it " . Look at injuries of other teams in AL East . Spare us the -phony excuses.
I think what's keeping Beeston and AA in place is a solid bottomline .
Wilner is almost the lone media guy that rarely is critical of AA or Beeston .

October 9, 2014 @ 12:35 PM

Gavin

Wilner refused to make a prediction on who gets to WS on Blair's show . even though Blair mocked Wilner's fear about being wrong.
Blair did nice job questioning AA ,making up for Wilner's fear of AA.

AA is starting to morph into Jerry Colangelo. He blames media for looking for reasons for Jays' failures over AA's 5 seasons
.He politely and subtely challenges Davidi's article .
Don't blame yourself, AA.
As someone above stated, Sporting News poll ranlAA 22/30 as GM.

AA has build a team in 5 yrs that went 45-55 over last 100 games, while Orioles went 64-36.
He talks like Jays were almost as good as Orioles.

Beeston pats AA on back, AA pats Gibby on back, and Wilner pats them all on the back .
Let's keep the cheques coming.

October 10, 2014 @ 2:50 PM

John

I agree with a number of the comments above - this guy (Wilner) always tries to correct others and display his 'knowledge' - he is a know-all - as far as play by play he is the worst I have ever heard - I turn the game off when he comes on -

March 18, 2015 @ 2:15 PM

Lawrence

I think he's a know it all stat monkey, basement dwelling douchebag, but it's early.

March 28, 2015 @ 6:22 PM

Jeff

Wilner is a rude idiot.
The jays are a 500 team.
If some of the kids surprise and do well 87 wins. 80-84 wins
21 years wo playoffs
Toronto can't afford to blow this up they must strike while the iron is hot.
Fans shouldn't accept another rebuild

April 26, 2015 @ 11:29 PM

Jayfan

I enjoy him because fans nowadays are idiot. Who is condescending and arrogant, the fry chef at McDonald's who calls in to say that John Gibbons just doesn't have the professionalism to get this team to the next level, or the radio guy who tells that fan he's kind of stupid.

Fans need to learn how to be fans. Shut up - you aren't smarter than John Gibbons. Keep putting them in their place Wilner.

Need something similar for the Raptors. Keep it real with the armchair qbs.

August 16, 2015 @ 3:38 PM

tim reuel

the reason tony lacava is only the interim gm is because wilner is taking over the job !!!!!
i am not a jays fan but live in the gta so there is not much choice on the radio
i cannot understand why anyone would call in to be told they are wrong (if they dare disagree with his opinion ) & to have to listen his condescending & smug manner
why rogers continues to insult there fans by keeping this clown on the air is beyond me

November 6, 2015 @ 1:08 PM

John Smith

MIKE WILNER IS A FAT UGLY PIG. His narcissism and arrogance suggest he grew up with a silver spoon up his butt.

He claims to be a "fiercely proud single father of the two best kids ever." I'm not the least bit surprised that he is single and likely divorced.

April 25, 2016 @ 12:49 PM

Timmy Thompson

Mike Wilner is a cunt.

May 22, 2016 @ 12:56 AM

Howard Shannon

What actually qualifies him to think he's such a baseball expert, a degree in journalism? Anyone can spout stats and be a Jay's apologist but actually know the game? Sure not this arrogant ass, bet he never played, the guy who was always picked last in pick up games

September 28, 2016 @ 10:59 AM

Kevin

Actually he knows nothing about baseball. He looks at stats and thinks he knows everything. I played with him in high school. His nickname was E. Wilner because all he did was make errors. He never played any level of serious baseball, knows nothing of the game, and bases all his info on stats that don;t mean anything.,

September 29, 2016 @ 2:07 PM