5 Things I've Learned After 4 Months of Swimming

5 Things I've Learned After 4 Months of SwimmingI've been swimming every weekday for four months. Here's what I've learned after four months of swimming.

If you're swimming in chlorine as I am, get yourself a good pair of goggles. My Nike goggles have saved my eyes.

goggles

Even with a good pair of goggles, a little chlorine is going to get in your eyes and you're going to start resembling a pothead. Bonus tip for potheads: tell your employer and colleagues that you're a swimmer.

pothead

Your hair will never be the same, so you're going to need a good clarifying shampoo.

kramer

Don't swallow the water. It's not nearly as tasty as it looks. Bonus tip: don't chew gum while you swim.

drink-water

Instead of counting lengths, time your swim so you can solve the world's problems. There's no better place to think than in the pool, and you don't want to waste that thinking by keeping track of your lap count.

thinker

Chris

That's great info Mike, I've wanted to swim more for years but pools are hard to come by.

How was your progress since you started? Do you enjoy it? Have you lost weight or slimmed down to look like Michael Phelps? (there's a pot joke to be made tying into your chlorine comment, but I'll hold back).

January 28, 2013 @ 12:07 PM

elvis

What pool do you use?

January 28, 2013 @ 12:36 PM

@Chris

I'm living in a building with a pool, which makes it awfully convenient. I started the daily 60 lengths / 25 minutes swim the day after Thanksgiving.

I lost a lot of weight in 2012 and didn't want to become the 98lb weakling, so I thought swimming would help me tone my upper body. I have noticed a difference with my pecs and shoulders. I haven't actually lost weight, but I look fitter. They say a pound of fat takes up about four times the space of muscle tissue.

tl;dr version:

I enjoy it, I haven't lost weight but I've added upper body strength.

January 28, 2013 @ 12:39 PM

@elvis

It's in my building and almost always empty. C'mon over and swim with me!

January 28, 2013 @ 12:46 PM

Declan

I'm not a very good swimmer. I'm not sure I'd make it 50 laps.

January 28, 2013 @ 12:47 PM

Chris

That's awesome Mike! Thanks for sharing.

January 28, 2013 @ 12:50 PM

@Declan

I never really swam, except for swimming lessons once in a while as a kid. That's it.

I started with 30 lengths the first week, moved to 40 in week 2, then 50 in week 3 and I've been at 60 for a while now.

Like anything else, you get better at it and faster the more you do it. If you can do a basic front crawl, you can do this.

January 28, 2013 @ 12:59 PM

Rob de

Agree with the goggles. But also need ear plugs to keep the water out. There is a guy who swims laps at the rec centre we swim laps at that has an iPod strapped to the back of his head in one of those marine, waterproof bags designed for a cell phone.

January 28, 2013 @ 4:36 PM

Gump

Mike, if you continue to swim I would strongly suggest that you take a stroke improvement course. When I was training for the Ironman, I took one and my swimming became much more efficient, and subsequently, more enjoyable. It is amazing how small changes in your technique will result in major improvements.

January 28, 2013 @ 6:09 PM

Stephanie

Gump, I agree... stroke makes a huge difference and can make it seem more effortless. There are lots of 'swimming for triathlon' courses out there now and will make a huge difference.

January 28, 2013 @ 7:00 PM

Cheryl

I don't swim that much. I find public pools are too cold. I hate the cold water. The pool I like is at the Elmwood Spa, but I don't go there that often as it's expensive to go there. Anyway, I would rather do my workouts to keep fit and play tennis or go skating. With my trainer in the Provincials next week though, a week without workouts. Oh well, I wanted them to make it, but have to miss a week of workouts.

January 29, 2013 @ 4:07 PM

Former Pool Cleaner

For all you public swimming pool fans out there.

Each person in a pool puts a 500ml pop can full of hair-oil-feces-urine-bile-excrement into the pool every time they go swimming.
One in five people urinate in a public pool and 70 percent do not shower before going into a pool...

January 31, 2013 @ 7:37 AM