Toronto Radio DJs: Where Are They Now?

toronto radio: where are they now?I got an email from a reader wondering where former CFNY personalities were now. I pointed him to The Spirit of Radio Fan Page, but he deemed that too out of date.

So I asked him for his list and I promised to take a crack at it myself and open it up to all of you to help me fill in the cracks.

Where are these former Toronto radio folks today?

• Maie Pauts
  • Kneale Mann
  • Kim Hughes
  • Brother Bill
  • Pete Fowler
  • Visjna
  • Alan Cross
  • Humble and Fred
  • DJ Dingra
  • Producer of Live in Toronto, Chris Pack
  • John Jones - Music Director
  • Marla West
  • Mary Ellen Benninger

Here's the ones I know:

• Maie Pauts - currently on Boom 97.3 (hear my chat with her here)
  • Kneale Mann - met him recently, currently consulting
  • Kim Hughes - heard her on CBC Radio One recently, not sure what she's currently doing
  • Brother Bill - changed his name back to Neil Morrison, was on 99.3 The FOX in Vancouver
  • Pete Fowler - OPP officer (hear my chat with him here)
  • Visjna - not sure
  • Alan Cross - currently hosting The Secret History of Rock on Astral stations
  • Humble and Fred - podcasting daily at www.humbleandfredradio.com
  • DJ Dingra - not sure
  • Producer of Live in Toronto, Chris Pack - not sure
  • John Jones - Music Director - not sure
  • Marla West - not sure
  • Mary Ellen Benninger - currently doing news at CHFI and 680News

Leave a comment letting me know about the rest or if I got something wrong.

@Try

I did. That's where I got Kneale Mann's current info.

September 6, 2012 @ 2:30 PM

Jeff

Maie Pauts is on 97.3 daytime.

September 6, 2012 @ 2:53 PM

Gary

I think Chris Pack is a general contractor or something similar.

September 6, 2012 @ 3:08 PM

Is it possible out of all these names the only one on the air in Toronto is Maie Pauts?

September 6, 2012 @ 3:11 PM

Other than when Boom or another Astral station airs an episode of Alan Cross's show, of course.

September 6, 2012 @ 3:12 PM

Ryan G

and what of Chris Sheppard?

I've heard Don Berns voicing radio spots..and i think i saw video of him in drag in a community production of Hairspray. Seriously.

There's also Live Earl Jive and Beverly Hills, James Scott and Skot Turner, to name a few.

September 6, 2012 @ 4:09 PM

@Ryan G

Let's do this... if anyone reading has knowledge of what any former CFNYer is up to now, please post it here in the comments.

September 6, 2012 @ 4:11 PM

Woody

Sorry I didn't list every single cfny Dj. I grew up in the 1990's and not the 80's.

September 6, 2012 @ 5:28 PM

Cheryl

I never heard of any of these DJ's, not a one, but I never listened to CFNY. When I listened to Pete Griffin, I listened to him on CHUM FM.

September 6, 2012 @ 5:54 PM

Andrew

Chris owns his own reno company - 808 Reno in Mississauga and Visjna has a family and does mostly voiceover work - at least she was the last time I ran into her at Costco!

Cheers,
Andrew

September 6, 2012 @ 8:08 PM

felix

The only Pete Griffin I know is on Fox.

September 6, 2012 @ 8:38 PM

LEW

James Baby Scott?

September 6, 2012 @ 8:55 PM

LEW

James Baby Scott?

September 6, 2012 @ 8:55 PM

Googler

"As for Chris Sheppard, he now has a “Doctor” in front of his name. Canada’s rave pioneer and the producer behind projects including hugely popular Love Inc. has earned three PhDs in the field of Neuroscience. He continues to buy vinyl, DJ select shows, and releases music under a pseudonym that I have not yet been able to crack. I’m told he created remixes in the past year for both Björk and Booka Shade, and may just make his presence felt in 2013."

"Worked as a writer/editor and broadcaster with some of the most prestigious media properties on the planet including NOW Magazine, the Globe & Mail, the Toronto Star, the National Post, XM Satellite Radio, 102.1 the Edge, Standard Broadcasting, CBC Newsworld, Amazon.com, thestar.ca, Lavalife.com and Sympatico.ca and has appeared as a commentator on Global TV, CTV, CityTV, ETalk, CP24 and others. Since 2004, Kim has served as Lavalife’s Dating and Relationship expert in addition to a freelance writing and consulting career with both web and print media."

"

John Jones is fortyninegroup’s CEO and Chief Connector. Mr. Jones has spent more than two decades in the businesses of content and technology, focused on the growth of business-to-consumer and business-to-business companies through strategic business development, strategic marketing. development, optimization and analysis of social and traditional media campaigns, technological advances through application and platform development, and content development, in sports, media and technology enterprises."

Fowler became a cop.

September 6, 2012 @ 9:00 PM

Googler

"James Baby Scott" is on Facebook under his real name which happens to be basically the same name as his brother.

You'd also find Live Earl Jive and David Marsden on FB and through them probably just about anyone who is still alive.

September 6, 2012 @ 9:44 PM

Googler

Marla is on FB under her real name and probably long gone from the radio biz.

Of course if you grew up hearing these people on the air and thought they were celebrities you didn't know they were often making about $17,000 a year.

September 6, 2012 @ 9:49 PM

Woody

Thanks Googler,

You are much better at Google than I. Had no idea re. John Jones, Pete Fowler etc. Thank You.

September 6, 2012 @ 11:30 PM

Woody

I clicked the link. It was an article on a Ride program. Was that the correct link?

September 7, 2012 @ 1:20 AM

Googler

London OPP Const. Pete Fowler

September 7, 2012 @ 1:50 AM

Mississauga Phil

Hey...whatever happened to Fearless Fred....soryy I'm 2 years early for that question.

Seriously, I find it funny that the Edge fired Barry taylor, and he's onw on 107.9, which is a corus station....what up with that??

September 7, 2012 @ 9:32 AM

Meow

Very funny Phil. Me likey.

September 7, 2012 @ 9:36 AM

Brad

Jason Barr is on 97.7 HTZ FM in St. Catharines and is a Morning Show co-host with Chris Biggs.

September 7, 2012 @ 4:58 PM

Irvine

@Ryan G

Skot Turner is the Program Director of 91.5 The Beat in Kitchener-Waterloo. Truth is Turner has more of a history at Energy 108 than at CFNY.

September 7, 2012 @ 8:45 PM

Petti

What happened to Johhny B from the old Mojo radio. He hosted "Guys Garage" and did lots of fill in work. I believe Guys Garage got picked up by another station, but never heard from him again. Anyone know where he is now?

September 8, 2012 @ 9:07 PM

Chris

Dani Elwell is on 91.1 Jazz Fm.

September 8, 2012 @ 11:07 PM

Irvine

@Chris

Dani has been on Jazz FM for years now. If you remember the Pursuit of Happiness, well the bassist Brad Barker does afternoons on Jazz FM. Great show. Great station. Love Heather B too.

#tenorsax

September 9, 2012 @ 12:21 PM

Liz

@Petti I really enjoyed Johnny B when he was with Ripkin! (exclamation mark was always part of the name).

Would be interested in knowing the whereabouts of these two fellas.

Last I heard, Ripkin! and his wife were adopting a child. But that was back in the Mojo days.

September 9, 2012 @ 12:31 PM

elvis

Ditto on Ripkin and Johnny B...I'd like to know where they are these days.

September 10, 2012 @ 6:53 AM

Buffalo Boy Mike

Pete Fowler posted on my blog a few years back now

September 13, 2012 @ 9:20 PM

Oli

This name isnt on your liat, but Rob Christie is in Edmonton, at Capital FM. I knew him from being on 99.9.

October 1, 2012 @ 2:42 PM

J

Johhny B is working for State Farm: ca.linkedin.com/pub/john-bordignon/6/754/598

January 7, 2013 @ 4:35 PM

Anonymous

paul dingra is an IT guy, married with kids. The Reader didn't ask about Martin. Guess everyone knows what happened to him.

March 21, 2013 @ 5:54 AM

Toronto Tam

The 'king' of them all, Dave Marsden who was program director, amongst other duties when CFNY were broadcasting out of Brampton is now with The Rock in the 'Shwa' 98.4 I think. I used to love listening to The Live Earl Jive when he would phone his mum in California and put her live on the air. That station was THE BEST EVER.

August 14, 2013 @ 8:19 PM

A.ROUNDTREE

What's people,
I can't believe Martin Streek is gone. Life isn't that I just live it one day at a time. As for the Spirit of Radio I love and miss all of you, knowing we never met. Take care and God Bless.

March 26, 2014 @ 2:28 PM

Jay Kaufman

Sadly, former CFNY Program Manager and on-air personality, as well as a founding father (AKA The Godfather of The Toronto Rave Scene) of Toronto's rave scene (despite what Shep may have claimed), Don 'Dr. Trance' Berns passed away on Sunday, May 1st, 2015. I knew Don well and we lost a wonderful human being.

March 5, 2015 @ 10:35 PM

Larry

My favourite of all the CFNY DJ's was the All Night Andre. He was on the air when John Lennon was shot and i was listening as I usually was. Does anyone know where he got to?

July 7, 2016 @ 12:00 PM

Michael DeMutis

Don Berns aka Dr Trance died in 2015. Best set of his was Better Living Center CNE Dec 31, 1999. We partied like it was 1999 til it wasn't 1999 anymore. DR Trance brought in the new millenium.. was awesome. Awesome night, awesome set, awesome tings, awesome DJ. RIP sir, you brought the love to so many.

July 13, 2016 @ 1:00 AM

rob

Hi! Wondering if anyone here knows about Margaret Patchou (last name spelling uncertain. . .) that had a jazz show on CBC during the period 1989-1992. I used to listen in Detroit after returning from the Army. Unfortunately, CBC says 'no known person' or some such. However, I'm *SURE* I listened to her...but again, not sure of spelling of surname (sound: 'Pahtchoo') Any help? Thanks. Have A Healthy, Prosperous Day!! --- rob

April 5, 2018 @ 10:31 AM