Mind the Mess

constructionYes, I blew up the site and rebuilt it. In Firefox, things look pretty good, although I have a little fine tuning to do here and there. In IE, things are quite wonky, as you might have noticed.

When I get a few minutes, I'm going to repair the damage for you IE lovers, because I know how damn many of you are out there. Can someone with IE7 please tell me if the left sidebar is at the top of the page or way down at the bottom?

Update: I need an IE7 and an IE6 user to email me a screen cap of this home page. There's a width issue I can't reproduce with my flavour of IE6 but with your help I'll know if it persists. My addy is on my contact page.

Anonymous

There is no LINKS access. A site I use frequently.

November 4, 2007 @ 6:45 PM

Toronto Mike

Link are at http://www.torontomike.com/links.html - I have to add it to the menu.

This is a work in progress still... it's too early for y'all to tell me how much you hate it.

November 4, 2007 @ 6:57 PM

Ajax Mike

And the sidebar is in fact down at the bottom. I have to use IE at work. *sigh*

November 4, 2007 @ 7:14 PM

Toronto Mike

Yikes, this one is trickier than I thought... and it's interfering with my Sunday night cartoons.

Tomorrow is another day. I'll worry about this then.

November 4, 2007 @ 8:10 PM

Annemarie

Ahhh!

November 4, 2007 @ 10:03 PM

Geoff from Vegas

The menu bar is at the top for me, using IE7

November 5, 2007 @ 1:00 AM

Toronto Mike

Yeah, it's the permalink entry pages that are giving me trouble. I think I've got the home page figured out.

Again, in FF, everything is fine.

November 5, 2007 @ 8:38 AM

Toronto Mike

Ok, it's stabilized. Let me know if the sidebar menu isn't at the top of the page.

I see it okay in IE6 and Firefox.

The next step will be making things prettier. When I'm done that I'll let you all know and you can start telling me how much you miss the previous look and feel.

November 5, 2007 @ 10:17 AM

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

It looks fine. I'm surprised this did not spark an argumant about IE VS FF which is a stupid argument because I like a few things about each, meaning at the end of the day I don't think one is better.

November 5, 2007 @ 10:55 AM

Toronto Mike

I've given up fighting that fight. The fact is, everyone I've shown Firefox to has made the switch and never looked back.

For me, the plugins are the deal breakers. I can no longer work without 'em.

November 5, 2007 @ 11:06 AM

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

I use both at home depending on the website I'm going to. Feel free to explain to me the plug-ins. What plug-ins? FF asks me to restart a lot and doesn't open new tabs as well. I am genuinely interested in what makes FF better. I'm not fan of IE but to me it's like Coke and Pepsi - I'm not a fan of either one really.

November 5, 2007 @ 1:06 PM

Toronto Mike

Actually, they're not plug-ins, they're Add-Ons, formerly known as extensions. I use many. Here's my favourites: http://www.torontomike.com/2007/04/10_firefox_addons_i_cant_live.html

CTRL+T opens new tabs. There's a great add-on for tab preferences that I use. Middle click a link with your mouse wheel and watch it load in a new tab. Very slick.

Admittedly, I've never used IE7, but there's really no comparison between Firefox and IE6. At least I hear IE7 has tabs, but they lack the passionate user community and the awesome add-ons. With Adblock, for example, you'll never see an online ad again.

November 5, 2007 @ 1:18 PM

Toronto Mike

And FF shouldn't be asking you to restart. Make sure you have the latest version in case that one was buggy. FF never crashes on me and I never see pop-ups.

November 5, 2007 @ 1:20 PM