Toronto Mike

In Theory, Communism Works


Last month I wrote about how Radiohead was leaving it up to us.  Buyers could name their own price when downloading "In Rainbows".  At the time I wrote "As I understand it, there's no minimum, but by treating their loyal fans so nicely you can bet this will pay off."

The fact is, 62% of downloaders in a four-week period last month opted not to pay a cent.  When asked to name their price, they went with 0. The remaining 38% voluntarily paid an average of $6.

I must admit, I'm surprised that many people refused to pay a dime.  I'm guessing many of those 62% were casual fans or weren't fans at all and were just checking out some "free" music.

Author image
About Toronto Mike
I own TMDS and host Toronto MIke'd. Become a Patron.