My Daily Hallelujah Ritual

emailBack in June I wrote about Sophie's response to my Hallelujah hunt. I finally had an MP3 of this elusive Gord Downie cover of Leonard Cohen's classic that was heard during the sweet Canadian flick "Saint Ralph". I had the MP3 and I wanted to share it with other Hallelujah hunters.

My offer was simple. Leave a comment requesting the MP3 and I'll email it to you. As of this moment, 108 people have taken me up on that offer and many others defied my orders and wrote me directly requesting the file. Replying to these requests has become a daily ritual of mine.

At 108 comments, that's my second most commented on entry next to "Humble Howard, Are You Okay?" which currently tips the scales at 393 comments. Had I not set Humble up with his own blog that figure could have easily doubled by now.

Reading the comments on the Homemade Hallelujah page reassures me that I wasn't alone in being haunted by that song. There are many on a hunt similar to mine. Paul wrote a comment that shed a little light on why we're all so frustrated by this.

My story is similar to yours looking for a copy of the song (not as exhaustive), a friend of mine works for Alliance Atlantis and I asked him about a soundtrack. He said (last summer) that they were trying to put it together but were having licensing issues and then interest kind of died out.

When was the last time a movie was released with great tunes but no soundtrack. Only in Canada...

Stephanie

Well, it's not The Hip and it's not a Canadian movie, but I remember when A League of Their Own came out (the Geena Davis/Madonna movie) and Madonna's song, This Used to Be my Playground, was not on the soundtrack. I was flabergasted then and still am...

December 6, 2006 @ 8:30 PM

Mike Boon

But at least there was a Soundtrack... and that Madonna tune was available on her album.

In addition to this Downie song Saint Ralph had great tunes from Blue Rodeo, Sarah McLachlan, Joel Plaskett Emergency, Ron Sexsmith and Will Kimbrough. It would have been a great soundtrack, dammit!

December 6, 2006 @ 8:40 PM

Leslie

Hi Mike. . .is it too late to become a part of your daily Hallelujah ritual? 109 seems like a nice number :D I would love to get a copy of Gord’s cover of Hallelujah. It might help make me less cranky about not being able to listen to Humble Howard with or without Fred this holiday season. H & F had become quite a favourite Holiday tradition for me (admit it was mostly to hear BNL). Thanks for posting the Seasonal Soundbites. . .lots of fun. If you are interested, I can send you up an mp3 from H & F w/ Barenaked Ladies, vintage 1994 CFNY. I don’t live in Canada, I have followed Humble & Fred over the years thru live streams I was lucky enough to catch down here in Maine/USA. Thanks for keeping a bit of Canadian culture alive for us “merk’ns” ! Now, can you bring back Moxy Frü?

Cheers,

Leslie

December 7, 2006 @ 9:41 PM

Mike Boon

Leslie, your request belongs on the Homemade Hallelujah page. No MP3 for you!

Just kidding. It's been sent. Send the H & F w/ BNL clip, fer sure!

December 8, 2006 @ 9:35 AM

Jody Wildman

I'm following your instructions for gord's version of Cohen's "Hallelujah". I haven't seen the movie butof course know the song and think Gord's feeling and voice would sound great. Please send me the MP3 if you can.

January 24, 2007 @ 3:42 PM

Shaun McLean

I would love to hear Gordons version of that song. It and he are classic

February 8, 2007 @ 11:57 AM

Shelley Olson

I've been haunted by the melody and the words from a TV show I watched. I have the Leonard Cohen versions but every version by another artist brings out more to the song. Please send me the MP3 of Gordon's. Another beautiful version.

February 22, 2007 @ 1:39 AM

Don Allen

For years I have been fascinated by Leaonard Cohen's song "Hallelujah." I am always looking for new covers of the song and Gordon Downie's version has just gone to the top of my wish list. Please send my the MP3 if it is still available. Thanks.

March 5, 2007 @ 2:56 PM

Robert MacRoberts

My father-in-law recently saw the Saint Ralph movie and is looking for a copy of Gord Downie's version of Hallelujah. My wife thought it would be a great father's day gift so I have been doing some searching for her. Please send me a copy of the song if it is still available. Thanks.

May 25, 2007 @ 1:34 PM

Toronto Mike

Robert, I tried to send you the file but got this in response:

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

rgmacrobert@hotmail.com

Technical details of permanent failure:
PERM_FAILURE: SMTP Error (state 13): 550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable

May 25, 2007 @ 1:47 PM

Robert A. Woodruff, D.O.

Saw Saint Ralph on starz and went looking for Gordon Downie rendition of Hallelujah unsuccessfully. Great song. Thanks

August 26, 2007 @ 4:38 PM

Dave Trudeau

Hi Mike,

A friend of mine is desperately looking for a copy of Hallelujah for his wedding song. Can you help?

September 28, 2007 @ 2:44 PM

Gloria Sevilla

Hello...I recently saw the movie Saint Ralph with my boyfriend. We are both high school runners in New Mexico. He is really inspired by that song when he hears it and I was wondering if you could PLEASE send me a copy. It truely is a great inspiring song! I would greatly appreciate it...Thank YOU! =)

October 16, 2007 @ 8:07 AM

Kelly Clark

Hi,
I just saw the movie Saint Ralph and was looking for the song Hallelujah. I was so pleased to hear your passion for the song. When I hear a song that sings in me, I want to listen to it over and over. Please send me a copy. And thank you so much for letting the artist know how much his work is appreciated.

Kelly

February 25, 2012 @ 10:01 PM

Graham

A friend told me about Gord's version of Hallelujah last week. I've heard the movie version, would love to hear the clean version. Hope you're still sending it out. Thanks,

g