How's Josie Doing on Indie88?

When Josie Dye said goodbye on 102.1 the Edge, so began one of the worst kept secrets in Toronto media. Josie Dye was leaving CFNY to host the morning show on rival station Indie88.

Her show debuted last Monday. This neat little video promoted her new show with Matt and Carlin.

Josie had seemingly been on 102.1 forever. We talked about her long career there in episode 132 of Toronto Mike'd. I'm naturally curious how her new show sounds as I've been unable to sample any morning radio.

How's Josie doing on Indie88?

Andrew

Still won't change the sound of the station... I never listened to her on 'NY, there is a strong possibility I won't on Indie. Still upset about the launch after so much promise.

Cheers,
Andrew

March 26, 2017 @ 8:27 PM

Nan

Josie's husband runs a record label, so some favours called in for this video. Still can't make up for the fact Indie has the worst hosts in Toronto.

March 26, 2017 @ 9:00 PM

Anonymous

Josie Dye's husband is Joel Carriere. He owns Dine Alone Records.

Current roster of acts: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dine_Alone_Records#Current_roster

So yes, this explains the video.

March 26, 2017 @ 9:50 PM

Mark H

It's a no brainer hire for Indie 88 no matter what you think of them or Dye. Josie has been integrated into that music scene for decades and her husband has all those acts signed to him.

Honestly though, I haven't listened to terrestrial radio outside of the occasional news update and sports since we picked up a car with SiriusXM and Bluetooth integration.

March 27, 2017 @ 9:33 AM

Smartest Person Here

Dare I say it really doesn't matter. The alternative rock format on radio was stagnant 10 years ago. Instead of looking forward, radio programmers did what they do best. They maintained the status quo. They envisioned they could lie to the audience and tried to convince their audience that their station was the place for new music. Only the audience is reasonably intelligent & they bolted and found other avenues for music. Now, they're not going back.

I suppose one could say that Indie 88 could have attempted to recreate the format & put life into it. They could have hired a music director that could go out and find actual hits. They could have expanded their playlist. But to what end? The music fan isn't coming back to FM radio. They might as well keep their narrow playlist and hope they get 10% on the dollar in the coming fire sale.

I listen extensively to Beats 1 (Apple Music). It's exposed me to Sofi Tukker, Dua Lipa, Chance the Rapper and this song, which was Number 20 or 21 in their year end countdown. The band is from Montreal, they're a Polaris award winning band and the song is the fucking shit. I've heard this song on Beats 1 and Triple J Australia. One would think "indie" radio would be all over this "indie" hit but nope. Instead we're forced to hear another Tokyo Police Club hit.

Friends don't let friends listen to FM radio.

March 27, 2017 @ 11:42 AM

Disappointed

The Chatelaine of radio hosts. Recognizable name over substance. Safe radio doesn't make great radio. I was excited when Indie88 launched, however now they seem to be a copy of what I dislike about the Edge. I'll stick to CBC and college/internet radio. There has to be some talent out there that Indie88 can acquire that can up the bland factor.

March 27, 2017 @ 1:15 PM

Ben V

Was the change in hair color done for the move to 88.1? I'm not saying I agree with the sentiment, but based on comments I've seen about here, people associated the blonde with being ditzy. This is the first time in all my years listening to the edge and seeing photo's of Josie that she's been brunette.

I was never a huge fan of her show on the edge, but at the same time I didn't hate it. the one personality I couldn't stand there was Kid Craig that guy is a douche bag(I thought this long before his shitty podcast with you)

With regards to 88.1, I think anything is better than the current lineup for the morning show. Abysmal is the term I would use when referencing that show. Matt and Carlin have no chemistry and everything sounds incredibly forced. Hopefully she can make the show as successful as her run at the edge.

March 27, 2017 @ 2:18 PM

GDB

A lot of comments on here about various radio stations and new hosts or co-hosts is about the music. Radio stations seem to want to stick to computer generated safe playlists.

It seems completely backwards that we have so many choices for music today, yet radio stations are getting more and more scared to take a bit of a chance. They could keep the revolving door going on DJ's or maybe they can be a little more creative and take even small risks when it comes to music selection.

So I guess what I am saying is...who cares who the DJ is if the programming is so bad??

March 27, 2017 @ 3:20 PM

Rob

Looking at the current batch of morning hosts the stations are moving away from quirky personalities to more traditional choices. Josie experience in radio really shines in the way she speaks. She has a good radio voice and just sounds professional. Compared to Mel and Adam and while their not bad they don't have that same refinement as Josie. So for indie I think it is a great move. Bringing a big radio name that will add some legitimacy to the station where more for the personalities sound like amateurs.

March 28, 2017 @ 6:12 AM

Irvine

As a side note hearkening back to the "all white man sports channel thing".....................

Anyone notice how white and cliche the video is? And for that matter this whole genre is? There is very little external musical influences & it's all "bearded white guy & their girlfriends culture". It's actually cliche beyond the whole "white sports guy". Perhaps the programmers at Indie 88 might take note of that? I suppose the great irony is these type of folks are the "left wing liberals" who espouse open values & inclusion..yet their own music format is exactly the opposite.

Hey Indie. Play Drinkee from Sofi Tukker.

March 28, 2017 @ 2:28 PM

LIz

I was hoping Dani Stover would have gotten the nod for that gig.

March 28, 2017 @ 2:52 PM

Cori

Thoughts? Best of luck to indie. They seem to be missing their stride. Then again, most other radio stations seem to be missing their stride as well. Maybe it's just that people in general aren't interested in terrestrial radio anymore. I've switched to some incredible American podcasts for the most part, though I do miss the Canadian content. I sadly don't think Canada is as interested in podcast development as the US.

As for Josie, I didn't like listening to her on the edge because of the constant sex schtick. Maybe I was too young when I started listening to her though. Later on when she was still on the edge, I know I didn't want to hear even more interesting sex facts, or details about her show on Cosmo every break between songs. I associated her with everything sex.

Maybe like Raina Douris moving from indie to CBC and getting a fresh start, she will find her audience at indie. Maybe she'll get a chance to rebrand herself. Perhaps I'll tune in sometime.

March 28, 2017 @ 7:17 PM

the brother

Has anyone seen the ads for the new CHFI morning show with Darren and Mo? Cringe worthy fo sho...

March 30, 2017 @ 9:51 AM

Smartest Person Here

@Cori

Regarding your comments on Josie and sex, it's a little unfair. While it's easy to label Josie as a "bimbo" she worked at a rock radio station with a male audience. The sex & Cosmo chatter (and the airbrushed photos) are simply her doing her job to appeal to the primary audience. It's no different than a waitress who shows her midriff to get a few extra bucks in tips.

March 30, 2017 @ 1:35 PM

DH

@cori

True story. I went on a couple dates with Josie
in the mid 2000s, when she was at peak C level celebrity status.

Her real life persona is no different. Basically a human peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Which is to say typically bland, but may make the odd person sick.

April 1, 2017 @ 12:06 AM

Anonymous

a little birdy told me that from last spring to this spring, both indie's afternoon and morning shows are down a full share point, and with indie's already low overall share this means almost half their total audience has gone.

July 12, 2017 @ 9:13 AM

Tim

Check out indie, they are crushing edge.

October 26, 2018 @ 6:59 AM