Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 182: David Shoalts

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 182In this 182nd episode, Mike chats with Globe and Mail journalist David Shoalts about the changes at Rogers Hockey and what went wrong. This episode is exactly 1:55:06.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

20160706_110831

Become a Patron

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

mcloki

So far this is a Great podcast. Fascinating subject. Goes to my theory that SN always knew what they didn't want to be but never what they actually decided what they wanted to be. Everything was the opposite reaction.

July 6, 2016 @ 12:42 PM

GUNTer

@mike
what's with the selfie duckface? haha

July 6, 2016 @ 3:24 PM

@GUNTer

My wife just asked me the same question. I was aiming for a silly face, just trying to mix it up a bit. Any resemblance to a duckface is completely coincidental.

July 6, 2016 @ 3:26 PM

Technical note:

I have uploaded a new audio file here, with more compression. Thank you Rob Johnston. It should be louder now.

July 6, 2016 @ 3:27 PM

Anthony

Great comments on overall.

Even better comments on Marty York. Why you keep giving him a platform Mike is beyond me, but its your twitter feed/podcast.

July 6, 2016 @ 3:47 PM

Anthony

I should also add, I never really liked Shoalts on Prime Time, but he's really found his niche here and is excellent and bringing reasonable and rational comments on sports media. He doesn't play favourites, doesn't pull punches, very smart and articulate.

He doesn't outright dismiss your question about Rogers/Blue Jays, but at the same time doesn't just give the easy 'homer' answer, he gives due credit to the broadcasters who still do a good job and offer honest critique.

Would listen to him on this topic again. Well done

July 6, 2016 @ 3:53 PM

Pete

This was excellent.

July 6, 2016 @ 5:15 PM

Ken

Excellent conversation, I very much enjoyed the listen. Thank you

July 6, 2016 @ 7:29 PM

Sam in Pickering

Wow... you should have Shoalts on more often. He's fantastic.

July 6, 2016 @ 7:54 PM

chris

2 year old Molars. Must be the reason for your pic with Shoalts.

July 6, 2016 @ 8:48 PM

Sid_V

About 3/4 through, and really enjoying this interview! Thanks, TM!

July 6, 2016 @ 9:43 PM

David Shoalts was nice enough to model one of his Hawaiian shirts for me afterwards.

July 6, 2016 @ 10:44 PM

Pete

I enjoy listening and reading Shoalts's takes on the Rogers/NHL deal, so I really liked this one. I found he pretty much nailed the entire situation. Two things he said regarding Strombo that I took away that piqued my attention:

1. He believes Strombo's ultimate dream is to host a Fallon-like late night show in the U.S. I guess it's great to dream big, but I would never have thought as a landing spot for him in his career. Would there even be an appetite for him? If his CNN ratings were any indication...

2. Strombo is the sensitive type. In reference to the criticism generated towards him as host. I always pegged him as a confident type who couldn't give two shits what anyone would say about him. Although he was probably taken aback by the amount of negativity towards him.

Good on Shoalts for calling a former colleague in York a Twitter troll. Refreshing to hear someone not holding back.

July 8, 2016 @ 1:38 PM

WuzinDaBiz

Really enjoyed this podcast. Shoalts was bang on re: trickle down effect of 'layoffs' 14 my ass. There were at least 2 jobs at Dome Productions (who provide mobile trucks, crew and transmission for most live events in Canada) that were not filled, most likely due to Rogers not doing local broadcasts next season. Good luck to freelancers in Edmonton, Calgary, Montreal and Vancouver for bringing in coin over the next few years. Ottawa might be OK with the Toronto overflow.
Toronto Mike - I suggest John Shannon as a guest if you haven't already asked. He has a million stories....if he'll tell.

July 8, 2016 @ 2:45 PM