8,026 Days in the Wilderness #GoJaysGo

Joe Carter took Mitch Williams deep in the ninth inning of game six of the 1993 World Series. It was October 23, 1993.

Today is October 14, 2015, 8,026 days later. It's been 8,026 days since the Jays have won a playoff series. 8,026 days, but today we host the Texas Rangers in a decisive game five with the winner moving on to the ALCS and the loser going home.

Win or lose, this has been a very fun ride. But I'm feeling it today... I think we'll win.

See you on the flip-side.

Al The Royal Pain

*Cringes*

...aaaannnd queue the jinx posts in 3...2...1...

October 14, 2015 @ 9:40 AM

Sam in Pickering

Great, now you jinxed it!

October 14, 2015 @ 9:43 AM

Aaron

Can you jinx a jinx? Somebody should do that.

October 14, 2015 @ 9:44 AM

Nope. I'm not biting today. Sorry Dale!

October 14, 2015 @ 9:54 AM

markosaar

Aww but it's so much fun

October 14, 2015 @ 10:09 AM

@markosaar

Happy belated birthday!

October 14, 2015 @ 10:11 AM

@markosaar

I hereby rescind my belated birthday greeting.

October 14, 2015 @ 10:15 AM

Gump

I'm pumped baby.
Gonna' be sitting at Gabby's, watching on the big screen.
Speaking of which, Mike, you should do what Strombo does. We should post where we are as we watch/listen to (for Cheryl and Blind Dave) the game!

October 14, 2015 @ 10:27 AM

@Gump

Love it!

I'll be watching in my living room surrounded by people I've forced to become fans. :)

October 14, 2015 @ 10:28 AM

Elephant

Fun fact: of all the teams left in the playoffs, the one that has won a World Series most recently is ... the Toronto Blue Jays.

88 for the Dodgers, 86 for the Mets, 85 for the Royals, 08 for the Cubs, eternity for the state of Texas.

October 14, 2015 @ 10:52 AM

Al The Royal Pain

I'll be listening to Tom Cheek in the car in rush hour. :/

Then, depending on how the game is going, I'll either be watching the rest at home, or I'll be spending time with the kids and trying not to think about the game.

October 14, 2015 @ 11:07 AM

@Al The Royal Pain

I wish we could listen to Tom Cheek call this game. :(

October 14, 2015 @ 11:27 AM

Al The Royal Pain

Right...I meant to type Jerry Howarth, but I guess I had Tom on the brain.

October 14, 2015 @ 11:59 AM

Drunk Johnny Fever

Very classy move.

Maybe that other airline could learn something about customer service.

October 14, 2015 @ 12:23 PM

Michael Zanette

Good thing back in 1993 nobody said to me "Hey Mike, just 8026 more sleeps until the next Jays playoff series win!"

October 14, 2015 @ 12:35 PM

dale

Hopefully no jinx Mike, but just thinkin'.

With Price not available today (as per Gibby) it's like going to KFC & not being able to order chicken.

Hopefully Edwin could make up for it with a home run shot - Chicken Wing.

October 14, 2015 @ 12:44 PM

@Al The Royal Pain

The Tulo HR in game 3 was called by Mike Wilner and sounded great.

October 14, 2015 @ 1:09 PM

Argie

So has Loup made it back to the team? If not, Price is the only lefty so he better be available.

October 14, 2015 @ 1:09 PM

Douglas

The experience would certainly be going back many years, but you can always put your AM radio (does anyone still have one) on top of your television set and mute the commentary from Fox Sports 1. If only ESPN had won the contract for the playoff games. Then we would at least have a chance at hearing Dan Shulman, who I am sure would be doing his best to ensure that he was calling those games.

With even not-so-modern technology, it would be nice if Sportsnet could use one of the alternate audio channels ("S.A.P." in analogue-speak) for viewers to get Howarth or Wilner - or even Buck and Pat instead.

October 14, 2015 @ 1:10 PM

@Argie

The whole Aaron Loup disappearance is shrouded in mystery.

All I know is if you have to miss a playoff game(s), it must be a very serious family issue. I hope everyone is okay.

October 14, 2015 @ 1:12 PM

@Douglas

Have you tried that lately?

With the HD receiver I have, the call on 590 happens a solid 7 seconds before I see it on the screen. If only there was some way to delay the AM signal...

October 14, 2015 @ 1:14 PM

Douglas

@Drunk Johnny Fever:
Ah, the differences between Canada's two major airlines.
One: youthful, enthusiastic, empowered personnel, non-unionized, based in Calgary...
The other: old, stone-faced, rigid, rules-based, entitled, unionized, based in Montréal...

Neither is perfect. Both make mistakes, even big ones. One really wants to earn and keep your business. The other? "You're welcome for flying with us", something that my father was saying about them way back in the 1970s, thus proving that not much, really, has changed there.

October 14, 2015 @ 1:18 PM

Al The Royal Pain

@Mike

Wilner's call was alright. He's definitely getting better, but his voice lacks something authoritative, I can't put my finger on it...but I'm sure it will come in time.

At any rate, I've come around on Wilner for the most part...some of that has to do with his appearances on your podcast, but mostly I just think he has evolved as an on-air personality. I still find he can be a little-douchey-know-it-all when he doesn't have to be.

Overall, I find his play-by-play is decent-to-solid.

Listening to PTS yesterday, was the first time I've heard anyone refer to Loup's situation as medical-related. I suppose we all figured it, but it was more or less confirmed by Bob and Arash. I'm glad they're respecting Loup's privacy and not too many are criticizing him for not being here. Some things are more important than games played by millionaires.

October 14, 2015 @ 1:29 PM

@Al The Royal Pain

The Blue Jays are saying Loup is out "tending to a family matter".

Let's face it, if you're missing the playoffs because of a family matter, it's serious.

October 14, 2015 @ 1:42 PM

Douglas

@Mike
Add another 3-5 seconds to the TV image delay if you're watching in SD. I've been on the phone more than once with a friend who is also watching the game and I've said something like "Wow, what a play!" to a "Oh? What?" (wait a second or two more) "Yeah, wow!" reply.

Analogue signals obviously don't get buffered, but I doubt that TV networks/broadcasters are intentionally putting in a delay on our (professional) game announcers.

Perhaps Andrew S can shed some light on this topic.

October 14, 2015 @ 2:41 PM

@Douglas

I just assumed the delay was because of the route it's taking to get to my screen.. going through the receiver.

The radio seems to be truly live. It's very strange to hear a run scoring double only to look at the TV to see the pitcher hasn't started his windup yet.

October 14, 2015 @ 2:50 PM

Elephant

RE: Wilner ... Say what you want about Jays Talk, his Twitter responses, etc., but I think he's outstanding in the booth. To their credit, the radio side of things has always been strong for the Jays (with some notable exceptions). Wilner has turned out to be one of my favourites in that role.

I miss the days when you could turn down the TV volume and turn up the radio. Sadly, they don't sync up anymore.

October 14, 2015 @ 3:09 PM

Dr. Vinny Boomba

Nice to see Rob Ford sitting in the first row behind home plate.Lookin' good

October 14, 2015 @ 4:59 PM

Mike from Lowville

@Dr. Vinny Boomba too bad theres a backstop!

October 14, 2015 @ 6:09 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Gibby is looking like a genius today! Awesome comeback.

October 14, 2015 @ 7:50 PM