Tuesday Open Mike

Welcome to this week's Tuesday Open Mike. I'm Mike and I'll be your master of ceremonies for the day.

Open Mike on Toronto Mike

Ryan G / hobogauntlet.blogspot.ca

Justin Bieber's original fanbase is now in their late 50's so he'll likely never be at the top of his pop music game again, but the self deprecation route is definitely his best strategy. Shatner, Hasselhoff and Van Damme have done it, leading to a resurgence in their own careers. Can't beat 'em? Join 'em.

During last night's roast, the hilight had to be Martha Stewart's bit - it was absolutely perfect, where she was actually making fun more of herself and those pristine lily white sensibilities. Surrounded by black comedians, hip hop megastars and celebrities, Stewart was given a giant golden Wonka ticket by guys like Snoop Dogg , Hannibal Buress, Kevin Hart and Shaq, where she was essentially allowed to use the N-word in a joke..and it worked.

This guy was huge in '83. Now he's District Manager at Denny's

March 31, 2015 @ 9:16 AM

Al The Royal Pain

Love me a good roast. I haven't seen the Bieber roast yet, but it seems to me to be a bit cruel. Like shooting ducks in a barrel. This duck doesn't strike me as either:

a) Being ready for the onslaught that someone like Jeff Ross could unleash on him, or
b) Able to strike back in any meaningful way.

However, I did think the same of the Pamela Anderson roast and in the end, she took all the insults well (at least on the surface) and when given her opportunity to strike back, she did a decent job. I'm sure a lot of her material was written for her, but still she came out of it relatively poised.

Bieber has just never shown me he could have that same poise.

March 31, 2015 @ 9:24 AM

I have not yet seen Bieber's roast, but I did finish The Jinx last night. Wow.

If you can catch this six-part HBO documentary series, I highly recommend it. It's too good to be true, except it is.

March 31, 2015 @ 9:33 AM

Lynne

@Mike
Agree completely about The Jinx. It cost me a few hours sleep because I couldn't stop watching.

March 31, 2015 @ 9:44 AM

Ryan G / hobogauntlet.blogspot.ca

The Jinx is next on my list, and I will try Transparent too. I just finished watching season 1 of The Strain, the Toronto shot vampire'esque horror series from Guillermo Del Toro who was responsible for Pany's Labryinth. It's funny how they try to disguise our landmarks, including a goth vampire dude who lives in Massey Hall.

The problem now however is that it'll likely be a year or so before season 2 is on Shomi, as it only begins it's first run somewhere this summer.

March 31, 2015 @ 9:48 AM

I banged off The Jinx over two nights. It was absolutely compelling.

March 31, 2015 @ 9:52 AM

Cheryl

Not a good night. My Habs and Coyotes both lost and the Suns lost and the Raptors won. My Orioles tied. My Diamondbacks lost. Not a good night. More bad news. Scott Howard is going to be on a team with Glenn Howard so he won't be with Kean either. Kean was probably just a flash in the pan. They're all splitting up. Well, I will still cheer for my trainer's team. Problem is they don't play that often. Of course, I'm still going to cheer for them though.

March 31, 2015 @ 9:52 AM

Tim

So is anyone excited about the summer concert scene this year? I am attending two extremes. The bloated rock excess of a band barely relevant (U2) with a great back catalogue at the ACC and an 80s retro- indie- band still making great music, at the intimate Danforth Music hall called, The Manic Street Preachers. Both will great in their own way. Other than that it is only Gordon Lightfoot at Rama.

March 31, 2015 @ 10:41 AM

Tdotter

Where's a good list of Toronto concerts this summer? I feel like catching a show or two.

March 31, 2015 @ 10:54 AM

10 seconds of Googling reveals this handy list of concerts in Toronto: http://concertsto.com/

March 31, 2015 @ 10:59 AM

Ryan G / hobogauntlet.blogspot.ca

@Mike

Often at work, someone will come up to me and ask me a question. I'm always happy to help, so I frequently say "oh you know what , there's this fantastic site you can go to to find that out..here write this down...", and then they'll proceed to get pen/paper. Then I slowly spell it out... "g....o....o....g..."

Usually by that second g they've caught on.

March 31, 2015 @ 11:35 AM

James Edgar

So far No shows for me this summer :( We were (are) having a family crisis and i missed the onsale dates for Both Rush and AC/DC ( I know AC/DC? but I've been a fan since 1976-7 ) Both are probably doing there last tours and both shows sold out quickly. And I'm watching my pennies so i'm reluctant to go the secondary ticket route...

I will of course support local music and see some bands in clubs

There are a few other big shows i wouldn't mind seeing Like Dave Matthews and Foo Fighters ,

Looking at Mike link there are a Lot of smaller shows at Danforth Music Hall or the phoenix etc that look great.
Melvins , Bad Religion and the buzcocks are all in Town this summer. I'd like to see all three of those.

March 31, 2015 @ 12:13 PM

Handsome Rob

Speaking of Google: Google your address and click on the maps link (only tried it on desktop) and gives the option to play Pac Man jn your street!!!!!! How cool.

Why did j have to find this while at work? Pac Man 1 - Productivity 0

March 31, 2015 @ 1:02 PM

Al The Royal Pain

@Handsome Rob

That's hilarious. I just did it and not only was I able to play pacman, but I also saw that they've updated the pictures of my street on streetview as of last summer.

March 31, 2015 @ 1:20 PM

Boomer

@Handsome Rob - Way too cool. Thanks for the info!

I know this is starting a war but why would Rob Ford apologize now? What's in it for him? Health related? Hmmm....

March 31, 2015 @ 1:21 PM

markosaar

Re: concerts,

I'm signed up for Ride, Jesus & Mary Chain, AWOLNATION, & ... The Rentals,

March 31, 2015 @ 1:27 PM

Handsome Rob

I know what concert I won't be attending. The stones aren't playing Toronto in their upcoming NA tour. I'm a little surprised by that considering their affection for TO in the past.

@boomer I think the apology is driven by his health. Didn't he get some results back last week which cause another test to be moved up to this week. Maybe it's not the best news?

March 31, 2015 @ 1:43 PM

Perry Mason

Rob's henchman is on trial. The trial is in session. Who knows what is motivating Rob Ford?

March 31, 2015 @ 3:00 PM

Sam in Pickering

Rob Ford's apology was clearly insincere. Before he gave it he was ranting about why he shouldn't have to do it.

Insincere apologies are worthless.

March 31, 2015 @ 3:37 PM

Sam in Pickering

Insincere apologies are worthless.

March 31, 2015 @ 3:37 PM

Argie

@Sam
So obviously Ford shouldn't have bothered. He should have told the integrity commissioner to shove it. Either way, the whiners like you would be bitching about it.

March 31, 2015 @ 3:58 PM

Is anyone here going to the Leafs game tonight? I'm taking my daughter and she's jazzed about it.

March 31, 2015 @ 4:04 PM

poke a wasp nest

Let's see Argie tie himself in rhetorical knots playing down the Wahabbi Islamicist reaction to Margot Wallström, the Swedish foreign minister who criticized our great allies the Saudis & their treatment of women.

March 31, 2015 @ 5:06 PM

headsup

My condolences, Mike.

But in all seriousness I hope you two have a fun night and make some good memories together.

March 31, 2015 @ 5:08 PM

Jason from Sudbury

Watched Trailer Park Boys season 9 yesterday. It was awesome!

March 31, 2015 @ 7:56 PM

markosaar

Guybonds will be guybonds!

March 31, 2015 @ 8:33 PM

Jason from Sudbury

Don't forget to make that Eons payment.

March 31, 2015 @ 9:48 PM

Argie

@poke
Rhetorical knot? hardly. She's my new hero. A politician with courage to speak out on evil. Good for her.

April 1, 2015 @ 9:10 AM

Cheryl

Well, my Nets won last night, but my Orioles and Diamondbacks lost. Oh well, and the Leafs won. Now they're winning. Hopefully my Habs win tonight, but they seem to be slumping lately. Anyway, I can't wait until the baseball season actually starts. That will be a good thing and I'm also looking forward to getting my $100.00. I'm winning the pool because my teams will do the best. Well, most of them will anyway, my Orioles, Diamondbacks, Angels, Cardinals and Nationals will. Hopefully the Royals will as well, but that's iffy. I wanted the Tigers in that division, but I was too late. Next year I want to be sure I get all first picks.

April 1, 2015 @ 10:21 AM

poke a wasp nest

@ Argie.

Right on.

April 1, 2015 @ 10:21 AM

bDot

Cheryl are we going on a date or what?? :)

April 1, 2015 @ 4:47 PM

Stafford

Hey Mike, did you happen to read the reader-submitted obit for Don Berns in the Globe and Mail? We talked about it on the podcast. You can search it on their site. Not a staff article but captures his memory well.

April 1, 2015 @ 6:20 PM

Cheryl

What date? I didn't know we were going on a date. I'm not interested anyway. I like being single. Anyway, my Orioles tied and my Diamondbacks won yesterday and so did my Nets. Unfortunately the Raptors had to win though. Kean found more curlers really fast. I don't know how good the team is going to be though, maybe not great. Who knows. Well, then they can't beat my trainer which is good. Anyway, it's too bad they split up just after they made it to the Brier.

April 2, 2015 @ 4:54 PM

this guest

Wishing Rob Ford all the best health in the world.

April 2, 2015 @ 10:38 PM

Cheryl

Where's today's open Mike. Oh well, we just keep adding to this won. My Habs lost last night. My Orioles lost last night but they just won tonight. Anyway, my Suns lost last night. Anyway, I don't like Rob Ford but I wish him well anyway. Cancer is a terrible disease.

April 3, 2015 @ 8:50 PM

@Cheryl

There is an Open Mike today.

April 3, 2015 @ 9:02 PM