Why Do I Watch the Oscars?

I always watch the Academy Awards. I've done so since I was a teenager. Last night, I did it again.

Every single year, I regret it. 90% of the show is a snoozefest. Most of the musical performances are boring, mediocre songs, and when it's all done at midnight, I remember that I really don't care who wins.

I have this post-Oscar regret every single year, but I always come back. Why do I continue to watch a long, pretentious, boring television program?

There are a few reasons:

1. I run the family Oscar pool. This means updating the tallies online in real-time. I take this responsibility very seriously, even though I never win.
  2. It's live, and you never know what's going to happen. Sure, 99% of what happens is rather bland, but when it happens, you'll be glad you saw it live.
  3. I enjoy watching something I know I'm sharing with millions and millions of fellow humans. This communal viewing is pretty cool, and Twitter adds this extra dimension I truly dig. In fact, watching the Oscars is no longer the primary entertainment, it's my Twitter feed and interactions that keep the spark lit until midnight. I have no idea how I watched the Oscars before Twitter.

So ends another 3.5 hour circle jerk with so few laughs and memorable moments I can't recall any right now as I type, but I'll be back next year. Will you? Why do you watch?

McNulty

Like you Mike, I regret watching every year. This year is no exception. It was really boring. One or two speeches that had some life to them and the rest was entirely forgettable. John Legend and Common did nicely and Lady Gaga sang the hell out of the Sound of Music.

As for winners I thought it was Hollywood loving Hollywood way too much. Birdman wasn’t worth all the praise heaped upon it. It was a story that Hollywood insiders would love but doesn’t resonate with the public as much.

I think Jimmy Kimmel would be a better host. I think NPH is a great Tony host or Emmys but not for the Oscars. I would rather see a little more biting humour than a series of bad puns.

I still say Boyhood was robbed

February 23, 2015 @ 11:00 AM

@McNulty

The highlight of NPH's hosting might have been Jack Black's contribution to the opening segment. It was the most honest diatribe I've ever heard on the Oscars... I have to find a transcript.

I'm with you, I thought Boyhood should have won. Birdman was okay and I enjoyed the way it was shot, but I didn't think it was Best Picture-worthy.

I have never seen The Sound of Music.

February 23, 2015 @ 11:04 AM

faunie

Only watched about 30 minutes; so glad I didn't miss anything! Ha!
Who won the pool?

February 23, 2015 @ 11:13 AM

@faunie

Monica won. She guessed 17 of 24 correctly.

February 23, 2015 @ 11:15 AM

Ben V

I'm sorry, but Boyhood shouldn't have won anything. It was so boring that much like it being filmed over 12 years, I felt I had aged 12 years. Arquette wasn't bad, but Streep was much better in Into the Woods. Overall Boyhood was uninspiring, despite an interesting concept.

With all that said I don't think Birdman should have won it. Like Toronto Mike said it was shot well, but the movie itself was just meh. Give me Michael Keaton as Batman any day.

When it comes to best picture I don't think Imitation Game or Whiplash got their fair shake.

Anyone rooting for Grand Budapest hotel, clearly hasn't seen all the other Wes Anderson movies.

I do agree with both McNulty and Toronto Mike about how bad the show was last night. Perhaps the worst I've seen in the last 10.

February 23, 2015 @ 11:27 AM

McNulty

@ Ben

I could argue you to death about Boyhood but I don't see the point. I'll argue that Arquette's final scene in the movie is what won her the Oscar alone. It's real, it's raw and it is well written.

I really didn't like Grand Budapest. I have liked Anderson's other work but this was didn't connect with me.

I will argue one thing about Boyhood. In most coming of age type movies the main character is always shown as either smarter than his elders or has some great skill or trait. This movie was about a regular person with regular parents who was stumbling his way through life. Each year was a brilliant vignette of growing up and the crap you have to deal with.

February 23, 2015 @ 12:21 PM

Jason from Sudbury

I'm probably in the minority but I could care less about the Oscars and already I'm sick and tired of hearing about it lol. But seriously, I never bother. If I missed something cool I can usually find it online the next day.

February 23, 2015 @ 12:25 PM

@robdaily

I stopped watching for a long time. I didn't care about the movies getting nominated or who won.
This year I watched it because the movies looked a lot more interesting and I also follow a lot more comedians on twitter. It's help to have some side commentary while you wait for Neil Patrick Harris to finish his lines.

February 23, 2015 @ 12:45 PM

Ben V

@McNulty: I too don't want to argue. I see a lot of movies, in fact it's a passion for me. I just couldn't get into Boyhood or for that matter enjoy what I was seeing. I think that's the main point. I understand it being about the moments and how that was all tied in at the end. I just wasn't captivated by it. Perhaps the brilliance of it was too subtle for me. I don't know. I know movies are subjective, but normally I can see what the hype is about or where the critical acclaim is coming from. Boyhood left me stumped as if I missed something. If I had enjoyed it even remotely I would have watched again to see. As you can tell from my adamant feelings towards this was not the case.

Unto each their own I guess. I'm glad you got something out of it and enjoyed it as much as you did.

February 23, 2015 @ 1:39 PM

Eekan Boo

Anyone watch "Nebraska"? I was dragged in to it, ended up loving it.

February 23, 2015 @ 1:48 PM

@Eekan Boo

I loved it, too. But you're a year behind. :)

February 23, 2015 @ 1:49 PM

this guest

There is nothing like a red carpet.

February 23, 2015 @ 2:59 PM

James Edgar

I might have watched 105 of one Oscar show. And that would have been because my parents had it on when i was a kid. I can't stand awards shows . Any of them .

My wife says she used to watch the oscars religiously. Lucky for me she stopped not long before we met.

February 23, 2015 @ 3:35 PM

Speysidephil

@this guest

Sounds like maybe you have been on one or two in your career??
Me, I think they had one rolled out at WalMart one day as I walked up to the cash register.

February 23, 2015 @ 4:06 PM

this guest

@Speysidephil.

oh god no. I didn't mean to sound like that. I was just trying to
say something about the Oscars. All I know is there was a
red carpet!

February 23, 2015 @ 5:00 PM

this guest

@Speysidephil

lol @ Wallmart cash register! :- )

February 23, 2015 @ 5:02 PM

Cambo

The Oscars/Academy Awards/Whatever else are nothing but a huge marketing strategy by the motion picture associations. I'm quite sure the people winning couldn't care less that they get a measely little award, when their films are already making millions.

February 24, 2015 @ 8:21 AM