So I''m writing this guest entry to solicit some of your best..and worst..jobs when you were growing up. A guy I went to university with was so broke he participated in those pharmaceuitcal testing weekends. He was paid handsomely, but sprouted a tail about 2 years later. Good for balance, bad for meeting girls.
Here are some of my early gigs with some positives and negatives.
+ Free hot dog and coke at 9th hole
- Lining up along a wall at 6am to get selected by old white guys...you know..like a slave auction
+ Little kid allowed to swing axe at stuff - what's not to like?
- The pay was an ice cream cone
Newspaper delivery boy
- 5am wake up to start prepping papers / collecting - some pricks would dodge paying by saying they didn't receive their paper
McDonald's - Quarter Pounder grill
+ Made my own (free) big macs with 4 or 5 patties and a hundred pickles on it
- You are coated by grease and smell like meat... all the time.
Bonus fact! I once had to dress up as The Professor character and along with others like Grimace and Mayor McCheese, I was sent outside to greet kids, none of whom had ever heard of The Professor character
Coat check at Royal York Hotel
+ Easiest fucking money ever
- 8am Saturday morning shifts after Friday night fraternity parties
Bonus fact! One older guy who worked there wanted to watch me have sex with his wife
+ Look tough in uniform
- Was told once to go look for a crazy hobo who was somewhere on the 10th floor of a darkened office building...who was armed with an 8 inch screwdriver
+Lived at a hotel in Ottawa for a summer, fantastic dough, killed many
- If people knew who I really was, could have been killed...by many
+Met lots of chicks
- Standing all the time, pretending to give a shit about the product
-Giant risk of being shanked delivering to rathole apartment buildings
+Working outside in the summer
- Hard bloody work...outside..in the summer
Hobo Gauntlet Radio Episode 6 is now online for streaming or download. These 1 hour shows include a bit of commentary, but I mainly spin some of my favourite alternative tunes that span the decades. Episode 6 features Tones on Tail, Lemon Jelly, The Pogues, James, The Propellerheads and more. Get the link at my blog at hobogauntlet.blogspot.ca or directly at GirthRadio.com
Only 15 comments? C'mon, we can do better... Leave a comment above and let's keep this conversation going!