The Key to a Good Crossover is Subtlety

The Key to a Good Crossover is SubtletyI watched The Simpsons / Family Guy crossover episode yesterday. It was okay, but not nearly as clever and funny as any episode during the first six seasons of The Simpsons. It was a full throttle crossover with the entire Griffin family ending up in Springfield and will likely result in a ratings spike.

The key to a good crossover is subtlety, and The Simpsons / Family Guy crossover was as subtle as a sledge hammer. I far prefer how The Wire and Homicide: Life on the Street crossed over with an appearance by Richard Belzer's John Munch.

Here's 30 seconds of Detective John Munch on Homicide followed by 30 seconds of Detective John Munch on The Wire. I have no idea why this footage is so dark.

John Munch, by the way, has appeared on 10 different shows, which is surely a record.

McNulty

I have no choice but to comment....

This wasn't a crossover with Homicide! It was a cameo appearance with a character from Law and Order: SVU to be techincal.

But any excuse to do a bit on the Wire is good with me.

And that footage was terrible.

September 29, 2014 @ 10:41 AM

McNulty

And yes, I am aware Munch was on Homicde first but the show was long cancelled.

September 29, 2014 @ 10:41 AM

Argie

I liked Munch on SVU but I recently heard an interview with him on the radio - the dude is nuts. He's a conspiracy nutter.

September 29, 2014 @ 10:44 AM

@McNulty

Yes, the footage is awful.

In my opinion, a crossover is any time characters from one show appear on another show.

September 29, 2014 @ 10:45 AM

@Argie

Obligatory Richard Belzer clip:

September 29, 2014 @ 10:48 AM

Lorne

In the category of "The internet has way too much time", how about a little bit of mind blowing this Monday morning?

St. Elsewhere ends with Tommy Westphall, an autistic child, had dreamed the entire show. It was all in his imagination.

So what, you say? Well, there was this one episode that was a crossover with Homicide. So, by the logic of the show, not only is all of St. Elsewhere a Tommy dream-- but so is all of Homicide.

And so are all the other shows John Munch crossed over from Homicide to.

And so are all the shows that crossed over with those.

And so are all the shows that made mention of those supposedly "in Tommy's head shows".

This encompasses hundreds of fictional universes, all which can only exist in Tommy's head, because they're related to a universe that only exists in his head.

It gets so deep that Newhart is a Tommy show-- even though the last episode of Newhart ends with Bob Newhart waking up on his previous show (The Bob Newhart show) and declaring that the entire run of Newhart was just a bad dream-- a moment that itself is parodying St. Elsewhere.

*mindpoof*

The full list (up to 2013) and a bunch of other things you can waste your Monday away with are right here:

September 29, 2014 @ 12:00 PM

Lorne

My wife, when I told her of the theory, just said "What if Tommy was a fan of the show Homicide, and dreamed one of his favorite characters-- like a fanfic?"

Theory: shattered. =)

September 29, 2014 @ 12:02 PM

Dawn Keibals

@ Mike Just see a comment on your twitter..

Loving my new LG G3 thus far, but it's worth noting it did not come with headphones. You'd think headphones would be standard with a phone.

You dealt with ROBBERS...and they got you for another 2-3 years.$$..Exactly what did you expect?

September 29, 2014 @ 4:32 PM

@Dawn Keibals

You could have at least put this in the relevant entry: http://www.torontomike.com/2014/09/rogers_where_free_costs_935_roger.html

Apparently when Rogers ships the LG G3, there are no headphones included in the box. Weird.

September 29, 2014 @ 4:38 PM

Marie

@Mike
I don't know but I thought the crossover show was funny. Neither of these two shows are known for their subtlety. I laughed.

September 29, 2014 @ 9:14 PM

@Marie

My expectations might have been too high. I'm going to give it a second chance.

September 29, 2014 @ 10:06 PM

Philly-Bob

I thought the use off Duff/Pawtucket Patriot Beer was a brilliant metaphor for The Simpsons/Family Guy. And hat's off to Seth McFarline for taking as many shots at himself as at the Simpsons.

I think you need to re-watch it Mike...it's funny man. Not everything is going to be Oscar gold...sometimes you just need to laugh...

September 30, 2014 @ 8:59 AM

519 Rob

I watched this episode last night.
I think I enjoyed some of the sideline jokes more than the 'main' story.
The court scene where they had all of the similar characters sitting together was gold (especially Carl and Cleveland).

I hated Homer in this episode.
I've always thought Homer was supposed to be a sympathetic character. But he was obviously written by the Family Guy team.

The big win was Brian, Chris, and Santa's Little Helper.

September 30, 2014 @ 9:47 AM