Rogers: Where Free Costs $935 @rogershelps

I have wireless, TV and internet services with Rogers. It's been three years since I got a mobile phone from Rogers, and under "Upgrade Your Phone" in My Rogers, I found this good news regarding my account.

Screen Shot 2014-09-25 at 1.47.58 PM

That's right, my device balance is $0.00 and I was told I could go to a Rogers store and upgrade my phone without penalty!

As it turns out, "without penalty" doesn't mean "free" like I thought it did. If you want a current phone, like the LG G3 (my preference) or the Samsung Galaxy S5 (my second choice), you have to buy the phone. Rogers wanted $90 for the LG G3 if I signed a two year contract.

Then, there's a "Connection Fee" of $15. I have no idea what this is for as I'm already a customer, I'm just taking my sim card out of one phone and into the other. Is an expensive two year contract and $80 not enough?

All of the above was disappointing, but what truly upset me was when they told me they would no longer honour my current wireless plan and I'd have to switch to one of their new "Share Everything" plans. You choose a device, data and value pack and pay that, regardless of what you were paying before. Matching my current plan would increase my current monthly payment by $35 before taxes.

To summarize, I have three expensive services with Rogers, and have been a loyal Rogers customer for many, many years. In order to upgrade my phone after three years, I'd have to pay $80 + $15 and an additional $35 a month over the next two years. That's $935 + tax!

I left the Rogers store having done nothing and feeling incredibly frustrated and angry. Toronto, what's my best option?

Alvin

I would tell you to switch but not sure there are any better options. Can we please open up the market to foreign investors so we can get competition?

One of the CSRs at Rogers told me that prices are set by the big three essentially as a group. Can't remember the exact words.

Would love to hear options as my wife is in the same position (contract up, wanting an upgrade.)

September 25, 2014 @ 2:17 PM

Argie

Try Bell. I know they're a ripoff as well but they might not be as bad.

September 25, 2014 @ 2:20 PM

Lyle Lanley

Smart adding the @rogershelp in there. Hopefully they see this and make things right.

Forcing a customer onto a new plan isn't right.

September 25, 2014 @ 2:33 PM

Al Reda

Rogers should honour your current plan. And that $15 connection fee is bs.

September 25, 2014 @ 2:39 PM

@rogershelp is now following me on Twitter.

@rogershelp just DM'd me and asked me for my mobile number.

Stay tuned...

September 25, 2014 @ 2:45 PM

Rob

With Rogers you got to call and threatened to leave.

My parents were paying over $200 for just television and internet. I called Bell got them to offer me a deal for home phone/internet/cable. Went back to Rogers and they upgraded our internet, kept the cable the same and added home phone for much for around $160.

Bell is calling them now wanting our business. Be interested to hear if they would give us even a lower price.

September 25, 2014 @ 3:06 PM

Icarus

Rogers business plan can be paraphrased as 'gouging Canadians'.

Rogers plans start at $80. In the US unlimited data, calling and texting start at $40.

Their customer service is rated as lowest in comparison to all other Canadian carriers. (consumerreports.org).

I am in a similar situation with an ended contract. I'm going to swop SIM cards and keep going with my month to month bill. There is nothing better out there - don't even bother trying, its a waste of time.

September 25, 2014 @ 3:16 PM

Al The Royal Pain

Wind mobile offers unlimited voice and data for $40/month. The network isn't great outside the city, but it does extend up here where I live. Rumour has it that once you hit 5gb usage in a month your speed gets throttled, but I've never gotten any confirmation on that one. You can't beat the price and the fact that I'm not with Bell or Rogers makes up for the occasional slow data.

We're getting raped by telecom in this country it's a crime! We need more options!

September 25, 2014 @ 3:23 PM

Steve T

Your best bet is to call in and say you're leaving. They will route you to customer relations (retentions) which they should be able to offer you a better deal. Be warned whatever they offer you at that moment you won't be able to call back to accept it. Take it on the spot if it's a decent deal.

September 25, 2014 @ 3:29 PM

Irv

Mike

Buy an unlocked phone. Call the carrier. They will immediately try to sell you a multi-year contract (which you don't need because you own your phone). Pick a higher end contract then shave $15 bucks off the price. When the CSR balks, tell them that you own the phone therefore the cost of the plan should reflect that fact. They will likely give in.

You'll also find your carrier will be much less likely to harass you. A simple reminder that you can cancel at any time & switch services won't get you better service. But they sure lay off on the harassment.

I've an open contract on an Android phone complete with bells & whistles. Less than $70 a month, tax in.

FYI for all you iPhone types. If you have a model 5 or newer you can put it on Wind. It will work just fine but iMessage will not work. I'm guessing that because they aren't an approved carrier so it doesn't work.

September 25, 2014 @ 3:31 PM

BJ

Wind mobile. Make the switch.

September 25, 2014 @ 4:01 PM

@rogershelp will give me 50% my current GB for $99, which is exactly $16 more than I'm paying right now.

So it's half the GB for a good chunk more money a month.

I'm still not biting....

September 25, 2014 @ 4:02 PM

McNulty

The connection fee is bogus. If you get a new phone and don't require a new sim card then there isn't a thing Rogers does that costs them money. The $15 is pure profit for them.

Rogers recently sent my contract information and other personal info to someone who was not me and did not have my permission. They did it twice. What did they do when I complained? Nothing. They said they'd look into the error and get back to me. They never did.

They violate my privacy and their response is to blame "glitches". When my phone contract expires they will never have my business again.

September 25, 2014 @ 4:10 PM

Cheryl

Get Primus. Forget Rogers, forget Bell. Get Primus. You won't be sorry you did. They have cell phones, but again I don't have a cellphone so I don't know much about their cellphone plan, but get Primus. Call their customer service. They are great. They keep winning awards for being the best customer service. I only pay $71.00 for internet and phone combined. You won't be sorry you got Primus if you do. I don't think they have TV, but do you really really need TV.

September 25, 2014 @ 4:48 PM

Gump

The best ROI is to buy Rogers (or BCE) stock. You'll get yield on both dividends and stock appreciation.
At least then you share in the profits from your fellow gouged customers of the telecom oligopoly.

September 25, 2014 @ 5:47 PM

Jason from Sudbury

@Toronto Mike: I thought you had tecSavvy for internet?

September 25, 2014 @ 5:50 PM

@Jason from Sudbury

I did have Teksavvy until I moved into my new home last September. At that time, Rogers found a "Teksavvy killer" plan that I couldn't resist.

Update: @Rogershelps has made me a new offer and quite different from what I was pitched earlier today. Once the deal is done, I'll share the details.

September 25, 2014 @ 6:48 PM

CQ

Someone called me last month claiming to be from Bell Canada. That man (clear voice / no background call centre noises) tried to offer me a completely free year of internet service. I called back Bell's headquarters asking if a) this was not their's and thus a scam, and b) if they could trace the call. They didn't know about any full year free deals for long-time customers and acted like tracing my number was a benefit - for me.
The same alleged crook called me again a couple of days later. I did, however, receive a bunch of other, regular Bell offer calls offering various 3 month introductory 'deals. Usually Bell selling agents never call me.
Bell could have placed a phone trace on my number and get the fraud division police to nab this scammer. (I only get about 10 calls per month. Today's scammer call claimed to be from Switzerland, yah, and asked about skincare - before I hanged up the phone.)

p.s. Rogers Cable is still carrying Russia Today as its lead news feed upon the digital six in one newschannel (179). Months after I first wrote about this.

September 25, 2014 @ 7:03 PM

elvis

I love when people advocate leaving Rogers for Bell or Bell for Rogers. Hilarious.

September 25, 2014 @ 7:05 PM

I just updated this entry. Looks like I'm staying with Rogers.

September 25, 2014 @ 7:40 PM

McNulty

Not all of us have blogs.

Rogers doesn't care about my business.

September 25, 2014 @ 7:51 PM

Little Ted

Mike,

Wind Mobile, everything unlimited for $50 a month. Never anything more.

Acanac for you internet, $50 a month for unlimited and get an HD antenna any $0 for TV ever.

September 25, 2014 @ 8:07 PM

Rick2

Glad that they came through for you. I have been a customer of Rogers for ever - Cell, cable, home phone, internet. My wife had an old blackberry pearl that she has been using since about 2006. We got that on our own. As far as I can remember, we did not utilize any hardware upgrade. So, this August, my wife wanted to move out of the dark ages with her cell phone.. for her birthday, I got her the iphone 5s (her choice). I asked for pricing, and got their best offer.. I said I wanted to shop around, they said fine... no better pricing out there. I called them back. After paying $200 for the device (they said the manufacturer sets the price), they gave me $5 off the monthly rate of $85 for the next 12 months... After spending countless thousands with Rogers, they value loyalty at $60. Thanks alot .. I'm not bitter, just have my opinion :

ROGERS SUCKS ... from a long time customer.

September 25, 2014 @ 8:29 PM

Philly-Bob

I uprgraded my phone in March '13. As a "values customer" they knocked $10 a month off my bill. Except, that this past march, (1 year into a 3 year plan) they tell me my plan is no longer valid and bump me up to a plan that is $15 than the original price of my plan, so I had $25 just added to my bill....they can change thr deal, but i cant just quit.

Rogers Sucks!!!! - from at 15 year customer

September 25, 2014 @ 8:36 PM

@Little Ted

I've heard some terrible things about the Wind network, particularly once you leave the city.

@Cheryl

I looked at the Primus plans, and they're rather light and for older phones. Their biggest plan was a 1GB bundle.

@McNulty

I really don't know what kind of deal I would have got without this blog entry.

September 25, 2014 @ 9:24 PM

Liz

Fucking A. Way to leverage, Mike. xo

September 25, 2014 @ 9:57 PM

Dawn Keibals

@ Mike

"Update: I've got to give credit to @RogersHelps for making things right here. I'm actually now on a better plan for a little less money and they're going to courier to me a new LG G3 at no charge."

The ONLY and i mean ONLY reason you got a better deal is that you took the time to bitch & complain.

NO credit should go to Robbers at all!!!

I have a feeling rogers is fairly happy with giving 5 customers out of 100 "a better deal"
And then soaking the shit out of the other 95 whom don't complain and just pay their bill.
Hummm I wonder if they had EVER thought of this strategy Hummm.

September 26, 2014 @ 4:21 AM

Cheryl

Well, my phone is my internet. I don't have a land line. I don't know what you mean by older phones. You should call them and talk to someone. Anyway, trust me. If you ever want to try Primus, you won't be disappointed. I will never go back to Bell and I will never get Rogers.

September 26, 2014 @ 6:38 AM

Sammi

Koodoo has been great for me. Rogers or Bell could not even come close to the deal I got.

September 26, 2014 @ 7:33 AM

Jason from Sudbury

I've heard lots of good things about Koodo.

September 26, 2014 @ 8:44 AM

Argie

Rogers and Bell know that not everyone needs a LAN line or cable TV but everyone needs internet - and that's where the soak you. Whether its home internet or internet through your phone, they'll get you. Its a fact of life because of demand from consumers.

In case anyone forget, Bell and Rogers are businesses - thus, their soul purpose is making money. Being fair or reasonable to consumers is not part of their business plan.

September 26, 2014 @ 8:48 AM

Anonymous

@Dawn

You're exactly right. You only get a decent price if you can get a corporate plan or take the time to really complain.

I suppose it's the fact that we're all just one-offs when it comes to plans. I wonder if you could organize a group-renewal to get some leverage.

September 26, 2014 @ 9:49 AM

RogersMichaelT

Hey Mike, so glad to hear that the issue has been taken care of by our @RogersHelps team. Enjoy the phone once you get it, and if you ever have any issues, please don't hesitate to reach out.

@McNulty - I'd like to review the situation. We truly care about your business, and we would never want to lose you as a customer. Could you kindly reach out to me on Twitter @RogersMichaelT? We can discuss there.

September 26, 2014 @ 10:30 AM

Zach

Typical Rogers scam artists. I always purchase unlocked phones and was on Rogers 6 GB super plan for a good many years. The plan was about 80 dollars after taxes and add ons (5 dollar caller id and voicemail.... how do they even charge for caller id - that data is sent in the transmission that makes the goddamn call - the bandwidth is used wether i have access to the ID or not!!)

I called retentions to try and get 15 dollars knocked off since I too owned my phone. The only thing they could offer me was to pay exactly what I was paying with the same plan features but only get 2 GB instead of 6. I would gain nothing from this and they didn't care. Went to WIND the next day and couldn't be happier, my bill is 50% cheaper each month, and even though the coverage doesn't extend as far as Rogers - when I'm at the cottage I don't need my phone.

September 26, 2014 @ 10:43 AM

Zach

Though it is cute to watch how quickly customer service actually gives a shit when someone calls them out on a popular public forum. It's shameful RogersMichael had to come here and save face, you guys need to clean up your act. Why did Mike have to write this post when clearly a better deal was available for him? This should have been handled by the first CSR he spoke with.

Mike, I hope you're really satisfied with Rogers, I find they treat their customers like a battered spouse.

September 26, 2014 @ 10:46 AM

Brian

Mike, you said that you would share the details of your plan?

September 26, 2014 @ 12:39 PM

Philly-Bob

@ RogersMichaelT - you have a lot of pissed off Rogers customers here. I might suggest you read all the posts, you've been jerking around a lot of long time customers. Not a good business model my friend.

September 26, 2014 @ 1:38 PM

Philly-Bob

This is not a dig at TO Mike, but I guess we all need to start blogs to get proper customer service.

September 26, 2014 @ 1:46 PM

Ryan P

Poor Mike! I hope your next bill doesn't contain surprises...

When I left BlackBerry I added a phone to my fiancee's plan - got their retentions department and told them the plan Koodo had - $45 a month for 400 min, 1GB data and texts etc. I was given a $80/month for 3GB shared data, unlimited minutes Canada wide, texts and all that jazz. And not locking me into a contract - I should also mention my fiancee had been with Rogers for 7 years. My first months bill (prorated for 1.5 months) was going to be like $140 with activation fees. I didn't get a new phone from them either - had a Nexus 4 so just needed the sim.

I got my bill - $435.

I called in to try and resolve it and got no where (3 hrs on phone). I went to Koodo that night and have not looked back since. Perfectly happy with the plan we have with them.

It then took me 2 weeks of work with Rogers to resolve the account. From mistakenly putting us both into a 3 yr contract (for no reason) to simply getting them to charge the proper amount for what they offered it was a royal pain. I probably spent about 10 hours on the phone/IM with them.

My time is worth money too. Based on a conservative $60/hr (my usual rate is $92), that's $780 I lost in billable labour I could have been making instead of talking to them.

Beware!

September 26, 2014 @ 3:22 PM

@Brian

Just got back from a ride to the Beaches. Will share details in a bit.

September 26, 2014 @ 3:43 PM

Ok, here are the details.

My old plan was $84.99. That included 6 GB of data plus free weekend and evening Canadian calling. I had a limited number of daytime minutes and a list of 10 Canadian numbers I could call unlimited at anytime. I never exceeded my daytime minutes, and I rarely exceeded 2 GB of data.

My new plan is a shareable 4 GB of data plus anytime calling from within Canada to Canada. I actually prefer this to my old plan. They also gave me some value pack that includes voice mail, call display, voicemail to text and stuff like that. This new plan is $84.99.

They're also couriering to me a new LG G3 at no cost. Yesterday morning, they wanted $80 + $15 for this phone. Today it's free.

So I have a better plan and a free phone for the same monthly cost. I don't know if it's the blog entry that got their attention or the tweets or what, but I'm pleased with the result.

Lesson to you: start a blog today, work on it every day, and in 15 years it might get you a better deal on your mobile phone.

September 26, 2014 @ 4:12 PM

Cambo

@Mike

With due respect, the reason you got that deal was because you bitched on this very blog. The vast majority of us don't have that kind of reach. If RoBellus gave a shit about their customers, they'd offer it to you- without you complaining- and without charging the most obscene prices in the world. Literally. Telecom services for both Bell and Rogers is a license to print money. And we are the sheep that have no choice. And thanks to your

September 26, 2014 @ 4:26 PM

Cambo

((thou shalt fully read before clicking "Post"))

...and thanks to OUR money, Rogers can afford to spend 12... BILLION on the NHL Broadcast rights. And buy Skydome. And buy 50% in MLSE, and buy other cableco's out. Yet they have the nerve to charge us out the arse for a measely 4GB of data.

September 26, 2014 @ 4:30 PM

@Cambo

I wrote this a few years ago, but it still rings true. Canada is a digital ghetto.

September 26, 2014 @ 4:35 PM

mrmojorisinca

Funny global news did a story about wireless plans this evening. Seems you have someone's ear Mike

September 26, 2014 @ 8:07 PM

RogersMichaelT

Seems there are a few misconceptions here. Our @RogersHelps team is more than happy to assist every customer - all of our customers are treated equally, whether you have a blog or not. For those who haven't spoken with us online, try it! Reach out to us on Twitter or on facebook.com/rogers - our team is ready and eager to help.

September 27, 2014 @ 8:42 AM

Douglas

Reading through this thread, and having procrastinated for a couple of months since I should have, I called Rogers yesterday while I was waiting for the umpteen updates, etc. to get two new notebook computers configured and ready for use in my office.

I had a year's worth of Rogers bills in .pdf form for reference. My "five to eight minute" wait turned out to be 30 seconds. My luck continued by getting a representative in Vancouver who simply dug down into every service and wireless phone on my account. Thanks to the efforts of a Rogers store in Richmond Hill about a year or so ago, I already had "some pretty good deals" on my various services.

The bottom line going forward with what I chose to do now is saving about 20% on my bill before extra use costs, some of which are no longer relevant, as all three mobile phones now have unlimited Canada-wide calling. A bit more in savings are available if/when I decide to get rid of my 128-pound 32" CRT TV upstairs and replace it with an HDTV, something I'm not in any kind of hurry to do. Thanks, Mike, for prompting me to get off my arse and save some money.

September 27, 2014 @ 1:26 PM

Dan

You should've just purchased the phone unlocked/outright. Gives you the ability to stay on your old plan as well as switch the SIM when travelling.

September 27, 2014 @ 4:29 PM

Argie

God I hate it when people use that catch phrase "reach out."

The proper word is "contact" OK? Why are we suddenly changing it? That is all.

September 27, 2014 @ 7:19 PM

Skeptic

I wonder if Rogers would have been so gracious if Mike did not have a blog?

September 29, 2014 @ 9:38 AM

@Skeptic

They were fair once I engaged @rogeshelps on Twitter. I'm not sure it's the blog that got their attention or the tweet, but if it's the tweet, we're all on the same level playing field.

September 29, 2014 @ 9:39 AM

Mario

I'm looking for a reliable network that should have 150 minutes and 5-6 Gb of data at a decent price (not obscene like Rogers and Bell).
Been with Wind, happy with the price, but their coverage doesn't serve me well.
Anybody has any recommendation?
Did anybody tried an US company using some travel plan or out of the country usage?

Any other fresh idea?

Thanks in advance.

PS:Does anybody knows how we can complain (and protest) to CRT about the prohibitive and ridiculous prices the big 3 have?

October 5, 2014 @ 7:28 PM

Edmontonoli

Fuck Rogers.

October 7, 2014 @ 9:42 PM

Brendon Ross

I hate all these "hidden" fees that companies try to make you pay by misleading you right from the get go. I think consumers would much prefer to just be told upfront what something is going to cost instead of tricking us into a purchase (which will only hurt your brand image).

December 15, 2014 @ 3:01 PM