The Los Angeles Kings are Stanley Cup champions for the first time, and then there were two. 12 teams started the 1967-68 NHL season, nine have won the Stanley Cup since, one has folded and for two, the drought continues.
For the record, here are the 12 teams from 1967-68:
- Montreal Canadiens - Last won in 1993
- New York Rangers - Last won in 1994
- Boston Bruins - Last won in 2011
- Chicago Black Hawks (Now Blackhawks) - Last won in 2010
- Toronto Maple Leafs - Still waiting...
- Detroit Red Wings - Last won in 2008
- Philadelphia Flyers - Last won in 1975
- Los Angeles Kings - Won in 2012
- St. Louis Blues - Still waiting...
- Minnesota North Stars (Now Dallas Stars) - Won in 1999
- Pittsburgh Penguins - Last won in 2009
- Oakland Seals (Long Defunct)
Damn, it was depressing writing that list. The Blues finished last season with 109 points, good for 2nd overall. Do you think they're a little closer to the cup than our Leafs? The Leafs had 80 points, good for 13th.... IN THE CONFERENCE.
Congratulations Kings fans... I know how you feel. Back 2 Back in '92/'93!