Another Emissions Test Pass

Emissions Test PassMy birthday is this month, so it was time to renew my vehicle's license plate. I drive a 1999 car, so it was also time for a vehicle emissions inspection report.

I've been driving this car for 13 years, putting 250,000 kms on it, but it passed the emissions inspection with ease.

If my shitbox is passing with ease, who's failing? If you've ever failed the Drive Clean emissions test, I need to hear from you in the comments.

Anon&on

When I did mine (at a quick lube joint), I passed, of course. I asked the guy if anyone ever fails, he said 'yes, but you can tell which ones are going to fail just by looking at them'.

June 6, 2012 @ 6:28 PM

@Anon&on

You'd think we'd have weeded out the cars that look like they're going to fail long ago.

June 6, 2012 @ 6:31 PM

dale

My 2008 car lease is up next month & because I want to buy it out I need a safety & emissions test to transfer ownership.

A joke - the car is 4 years old & have to spend $.

June 6, 2012 @ 6:48 PM

felix

I live in Alberta, what's emissions testing?

June 6, 2012 @ 9:24 PM

Anon&on

The other thing- when you look at the test results, you're allowed a high of 1004 megamili-whatevers to pass , and you're reading is 4.
From my own standards, I thought my car should have been towards the high end of the scale- I could have used new plugs and wires/fuel filter about the time I had my test.
Complete joke.

June 6, 2012 @ 9:52 PM

MrFascination

Cars do fail... I was a critic at first, but I think it's actually working. Taking a lot of those old smoke spewing cars off the road.

I work in the auto industry, So i see my share.

June 7, 2012 @ 8:17 AM

Ryan

I almost failed with my 1999 Suburban that I got from my mom(before I downsized to a car)...my Hydrocarbons were at the limit.

The truck needed a tune up really bad...had 225,000km on it, and it was on the original spark plugs still. Thanks Mom :P

My 98 Mercury Mystique sat at a buddy's house for 5 months, uncovered. When I put it back on the road, it passed. It was tested about 20 minutes after I pulled it out of his place...that car owes me nothing.

June 7, 2012 @ 11:00 AM

Rick C in Oakville

There are many ways to get a pass on vehicles that fail, from pulling back the timing or putting a gallon or 2 of Methyl Hydrate in the tank, to using lower grade gas if you run a high performance car.
My old Diesel Pickup test was the biggest joke, only a visual test at idle as it was non commercial. Emissions form had all N/A in all the boxes.
My daughters Honda CRV with 300K on it passes with flying colors as it has only been driven on the highway and reaches operating temperature for at least a half hour a day. I haven't had a friend or an acquaintance fail that I can recall with a stock maintained car.

June 7, 2012 @ 8:32 PM

John Ernest

I thought I was the only one left driving a 1999 car. Most of the people here in our city are already driving the newest models. Anyways, I also passed the emissions test easily. It wasn't even needed if I may say.

June 8, 2012 @ 9:48 AM

Wayner

My muffler was damaged when I took it in for the inspection...they wouldn’t even test until I had it repaired...so I guess that counts as a fail?

After the repair it did pass.

June 8, 2012 @ 10:59 AM