Calling Bullshit on Meridith Valiando's 1000 Emails a Day

Meridith Valiando's 1000 Emails a DayI've been watching a lot of playoff hockey lately, and that means I've seen the Meridith Valiando DigiTour Blackberry Bold ad about one million times.

Of course, I haven't seen it a million times. I'm exaggerating. And that must be what Meridith Valiando is doing in the ad. She claims she's replying to 1000 emails a day on her Blackberry.

I'm calling bullshit on that claim. She's not writing 1000 emails a day on her phone. Do the math...

And here's a fun fact about social media ninja Meridith Valiando courtesy of Down Goes Brown. She only has about 400 followers on Twitter. Okay, I just checked... the one million times her Blackberry ad has aired has got her to 621 followers, but it's still incredibly underwhelming considering her claims.

Oh... and that voice saying "Be Bold" at the end? That's definitely Lt. Cedric Daniels from The Wire.

And finally, let me just say my move from Blackberry to the Samsung Galaxy S II running Android has been fantastic. It's as if a light's been turned on and I've been given the gift of true mobility. But then again, I'm not writing 1000 emails a day.

Mike

No, no, no. It's IMPOSSIBLE for her to get close to that with a Bold because the battery is unbridled garbage.

As a Bold owner, I've taken great offense to that commercial because it's based in a complete untruth.

Whether or not Miss Valiando actually receives 1000 e-mails is a moot point, as her device can't handle that.

April 30, 2012 @ 11:02 PM

Keith

Yeah, but she's hot though.

May 1, 2012 @ 8:01 AM

Rob

So, should someone sue her, or BlackBerry for these false claims, a la Nutella?

May 1, 2012 @ 8:46 AM

@Rob

I'm way ahead of you. Lawsuit: initiated.

May 1, 2012 @ 8:55 AM

Pete McPhedran

Yeah,

I saw that and called BS too. Thats like a message every 1.4 minutes all day, 24x7.

It's interesting that she says she gets around 1000 emails a day, she then says "try that on a touch screen". I have a touch screen device, I could easily "get" 1000 messages a day. It's a clever trick that implies she types 1000 messages a day.

Of course aftewr that commercial, RIM goes and does this: http://dvice.com/archives/2012/05/rim-unveils-bla.php

The physical keyboard is dead. Apparently. Just like RIM.

--Pete

May 1, 2012 @ 1:29 PM

Lorne

Of the three times she's using the device in the commercial:

- Two times are with her ear
- Once is in slow motion

So it seems she can do 1000 emails a day, since she has a cybernetic email-writing ear implant-- and has the ability to slow down space-time around herself, thus granting her more hours per day.

It makes perfect sense.

May 1, 2012 @ 1:32 PM

Tim

Who cares it is a commercial....they exagerate people. Thats like saying I am going to sue axe cuz I wore it and no chicks wanted to do me

May 1, 2012 @ 3:55 PM

McNulty

No chicks wanted to do Tim because he had a Blackberry.

May 1, 2012 @ 4:21 PM

David

And he smells like axe cologne. Talk about a double whammy.

May 1, 2012 @ 6:04 PM

Danny

yes just what the courts need another frivolous lawsuit. It's a commercial lighten up.

May 1, 2012 @ 9:14 PM

@Danny

Too late... I filed this morning.

May 1, 2012 @ 9:19 PM

Daniel

I love this article. There is just something about this broad that I don't like; she has an arrogance about her that just doesn't sit well with me. An over inflated sense of self worth because she runs this digitour BS and writes 1000 emails a day. What a joke.

"Try doing THAT on a touch screen". give me a break, I have an iPhone and absolutely love the functionality of the touch screen; how could you possibly bash the touch screen? Commercials like this just make RIM look like even more of a joke than they already are.

May 2, 2012 @ 12:29 AM

Phil

You are the number one search result for Meridith, unless of course it's google witchcraft and only I see that.

May 2, 2012 @ 12:31 AM

@Phil

So I've noticed. I'm #1 for the social media ninja's name. I am now the social media ninja.

Meridith Vallando, bow before your new Google master.

May 2, 2012 @ 9:46 AM

Sammy

Too funny. Meridith Vallando, who's your daddy now?

May 2, 2012 @ 9:52 AM

Another thing worth mentioning is that Blackberry just unveiled their new touch screen phone and will acknowledge they're moving to touch screen because that's what everybody wants.

One day, Meridith Vallando will be using a touch screen and liking it, mark my words...

May 2, 2012 @ 9:53 AM

Roshan

Touch screen - smuch screen. I love Blackberry and am a fan forever. A couple of us did a test for emails, Twitter & Facebook on Bold 9780, an Iphone3G and Samsung (I forgot the model number) while in a cafe a few days ago. Bold won hands down.

May 2, 2012 @ 10:00 AM

@Roshan

But did you send 1000 a day? :)

May 2, 2012 @ 10:01 AM

Roshan

Also if you haven't read this yet, a pro footballer wrote his memoirs on a Blackberry Bold.

May 2, 2012 @ 10:22 AM

Roshan

@TorontoMike I'm not that popular :) I've sent close to a 100 during a weekend only because my broadband was down.

May 2, 2012 @ 10:23 AM

Roshan

Funny - it's always arrogant when someone states a fact that does not gel with the things that you like.

May 2, 2012 @ 10:25 AM

McNulty

"I love Blackberry and am a fan forever. A couple of us did a test for emails, Twitter & Facebook on Bold 9780, an Iphone3G and Samsung (I forgot the model number) while in a cafe a few days ago. Bold won hands down.
"
Phew! I am glad that obviously extensive and unbiased research has finally proved which smartphone is the best. Screw what millions of critics say!

And the Bold sends e-mails fast! What a concept.

May 2, 2012 @ 2:58 PM

It's true, as a phone and email machine, the Blackberry is alright... it's the rest of the webby app life hacking stuff where it fails miserably.

May 2, 2012 @ 3:02 PM

Steve

I'd put it in her bum.

May 2, 2012 @ 8:05 PM

Taylor

Hahaha too funny Roshan. The first thing you say is that you love Blackberry and will be a fan forever. Credibility gone. The fact of the matter is that Blackberry's only true asset is their strong encryption codes. That and the ability to receive 1000 emails a day. I'm actually able to type faster on my touch screen then I ever could on a BB due to a little thing called autocorrect. Maybe RIM will implement that by 2016. It blows my mind that anybody would ever buy one of those outdated pieces of plastic.

May 2, 2012 @ 8:12 PM

PeterTour

Wow, you guys must have done well in school. Nowhere does she say she *types* a 1000 emails a day. She says she *gets* a 1000, then repeats "a 1000 emails a day. Try typing a 1000 emails on a touchscreen." She may as well have said "try jumping to the moon". *She* never made the logical connection, *you* did. *That's* advertising in a nutshell. But whatever, I'd do her too!

May 2, 2012 @ 8:29 PM

When Meridith Valiando says "try typing 1000 mails on a touchscreen", she's implying that she can write 1000 emails on her Blackberry. It's definitely inferred.

May 2, 2012 @ 8:49 PM

Gump

Mike, I'm inferring that you implied that it's definitely implied not inferred, correct?

And yes, hot women and say shit and no one cares. But then again, Seal is fed up with Heidi's shit.

May 2, 2012 @ 9:12 PM

At some point, Billy Joel had enough of Christie Brinkley.

May 2, 2012 @ 9:19 PM

Ryan P

Full disclosure: I work for RIM...I am proud of what I do, and proud of BlackBerry 10.

1. The are 2 capital B's in BlackBerry, Mike.(pet peeve)

2. RIM didn't announce a new touch screen phone. They gave away thousands of prototypes to developers to test and build their apps for BlackBerry 10. A comercialized product is gonna look much better.

3. I get the RIM bashing...but when are you guys gonna give it up? And Mike, while your not contributing, I know this article is a little dig at RIM.

The death of RIM is more than just bad for Canada...even with the troubles, they were still the number one Canadian company in revenue last year. The tax dollars RIM puts into our government's coffers puts food on many less fortunate people's tables and they employ over 10,000 skilled people here. Not to mention, RIM STILL has a philanthropy department. Apple and Samsung? No.

4. I've typed well over 1000 emails on my BlackBerry before - although all were not novels and I don't do it everyday.

5. Check out this glorious misrepresentation of IE9 that Microsoft put out. How about a post on that?

Sent proudly from my BlackBerry PlayBook.

May 2, 2012 @ 9:22 PM

@Ryan P

Like I said, I watch a lot of playoff hockey. I'm spending 2.5-3 hours a night watching CBC hockey coverage and this Meridith Valiando BlackBerry (how's that?) ad airs approximately 12 times during that period. It's just too much, hence this entry after hearing that statement for the 100th time in April.

It honestly wasn't RIM bashing, it was "try writing 1000 emails a day on your touchscreen" bullshit bashing. That's the line that gets me, even more than the "we want digital tours and more social media... how about a social media digital tour?".

All things being equal, I'd buy RIM b/c they're Canadian, but all things are far from equal and it's too much money and too important a device for me to accept that much less because it's Canadian.

And as far as Microsoft bashing is concerned, I'm certain there's more Microsoft bashing on this blog than RIM bashing. I can only bash IE so many times! Here's something from 2010: http://www.torontomike.com/2010/02/what_your_web_browser_says_abo.html

And Ryan, thanks for disclosing your employment at RIM. I'm glad you're one of the skilled 10,000 people working on BlackBerry 10. I'm rooting for ya!

May 2, 2012 @ 9:51 PM

Roshan

Dear Taylor - I'm so glad to see how you gauge credibility in people, through biased methods. If people are a fan of something you hate, they lose credibility? Anything that you say is devalued to me because of that.
And autocorrect? Yeah right. Check out all those embarrassing stuff that happens due to autocorrect.

May 2, 2012 @ 11:37 PM

Roshan

McNulty - I only stated what me & my friends tested on the gadgets we were able to get our hands on. Never said that it was universally true. However for every critic of BB there is a fan. And obviously you are biased against RIM (for reasons best known to you) and nothing they do will ever change your mind. Maybe you should check out your own biased reasons.

May 2, 2012 @ 11:41 PM

brad

the ad is bullshit but meridith is hot

May 3, 2012 @ 12:24 AM

Ryan P

@Mike

BB10 will level the field. Thanks for the 2 capitals :)

Roshan - you rule. Its people like you that keep our morale up.

May 3, 2012 @ 10:10 AM

Zach

@Ryan

3- If RIM can't innovate it isn't a tragedy the free market works as it should. We've been over this

5 - IE sucks, this is not news, has nothing to do with the topic at hand, and is bragging about the same strides you were a few months back when you were defending RIM (HEY LOOK WE ABIDE TO WEB STANDARDS NOW!!)

May 3, 2012 @ 10:13 AM

Roshan

@Ryan - thanks dude.
To everyone, I guess everyone has their own taste and preferences but don't rule out RIM. BB10 looks awesome and I'm excited about it. Cheers!

May 3, 2012 @ 11:23 AM

Ryan P

@Zach

You confuse bad business decisions with Innovation. RIM placed in the top 40 patent submitters for the US Patent Office.

I saw that stupid IE commercial 3 times last night, thats why I brought it to light. RIM has always abided by Web Standards - Webkit is not a web standard...its a rendering engine. Try a BB7 device and compare its browser to your iOS or Android device. Its faster or equal. That is what I brought to light - and that is all. I didn't say BlackBerry OS 5 had a stellar browser, in fact, it sucks ass(5 is what you are comparing your current phones to). I was simply trying to level the field in that prior thread to say compare apples to apples, not a 3+ year old OS to a current gen.

Whatever - haters gonna hate and your fruitless attempts to hate do not phase me.

May 3, 2012 @ 12:30 PM

Pete McPhedran

@Ryan P

Being in the top 40 patent submitters in the US, does not unequivocally mean your company is innovative.

I submitted 2 patents in a single day to the US patent office in 1994, I do not equate that with me being innovative.

Also, if you wnat to compare apples to blackberries, let's be current. BB10 does not exist. The currently available smartphone products from RIM do not even compare to Apple or Android. The Playbook is actually a nice product, but I have only ever used an iPad for 10 minutes and have zero experience on an Android Tablet.

Oh, yeah, I loved that "haters gonna hate and your fruitless attempts to hate do not phase me.", I got it, fruitless attempts. That was rich.

Lastly, I don't get that anyone hates you, you seem like a nice guy, you are defending your hurting company tooth and nail, I give that 100% credit. But to throw out the 'our company employees 10K people and pays taxes...' is BS, just like you sent 1000 messages in a single day on any device.

I own a small company and employe people and pay taxes and there are hundreds of thousands more like that, all combined we make RIM look like a tax evading pig. I am not saying RIM is evading taxes, but with the tax credits they get as compared to the hundreds of thousands of small business that get zero tax credits, that is a BS argument and an insult to me and all small business owners in Canada.

I still think you are probably a nice guy though.

--Pete

May 4, 2012 @ 10:18 AM

Ryan P

@Pete

Thanks Pete. Glad you like PlayBook.

The comparison I was referring to was one of BlackBerry 7 to iOS 5 and Android 2.3 on another post of Mike's.

Oh...I wasn't kidding about the 1000 emails in a day thing. Probably 3 times, the bovine excriment has hit the fan so hard that I've had to do it all from my BlackBerry. I was travelling at those times as well and didn't have a laptop.

Any patents employees submit go through quite a review process before being considered for drafting, let alone being sent to the PO. Out of 100's of idea that I thought were awesome, only 4 have made the desk of a lawyer for drafting, and only 1 has actually been submitted to the US patent office. I competely see your arguement though..but just figured I'd thow some insight into how many ideas there are, and how many get to be considered for filing.

I also hear you on the taxes. My father is a small business owner. Its all fun and games saying "RIM is dead" until the people saying that see the faces of those loosing their jobs and even though there are many R&D tax credits they RIM receives, there still a lot of tax that gets collected by Canada. I just wanted to bring to light that its not so funny if a major element of Canada's economy goes belly up.

May 6, 2012 @ 6:31 PM

bcbrad

But omg you can't to that on a touchscreen! I didnt read all the comments but -- if you listen closely...she's really annoying; she's the kind of person that makes me throw up in my mouth...1000 times a day. just enough to know I did. Try doing that if you are on a diet.

May 6, 2012 @ 8:08 PM

bcbrad-again

And ya, "getting" 1000 emails is one thing, try doing it on a touch screen? she's just offering you a challenge really. It's carefully worded, and anyone with half a brain knows RIM is grasping. I have had a BB since 2002, have the 9900, but I still say they are grasping.

May 6, 2012 @ 8:10 PM

Petertour

Yup, that she types 1,000 emails a day is not stated, only implied - *you* inferred it. The ad did exactly what it intended to do, namely enabled (even forced or required) you to make a connection it never stated. Advertising/marketing in a nutshell dude. Maybe you should read more and write less.

May 6, 2012 @ 8:17 PM

@Petertour

"The ad did exactly what it intended to do".

Tick us off? Cause us to call bullshit?

I doubt that was the intent.

May 6, 2012 @ 8:20 PM

cheamo

I like this article and I absolutely despise this comercial and this stupid arrogant girl. I don't think Blackberry is in a position where they can be telling such a huge portion of the mobile market that we made the wrong input choice. I personally love the touch screen keyboard on my phone and despise those tiny-buttoned BB keyboards.

May 6, 2012 @ 9:19 PM

thedude

I'm starting an online petition so that she will have an "ungreased backdoor HammerTime lovemaking session" with me. Please sign it.

May 7, 2012 @ 12:29 AM

Touchscreen is bunk

Touchscreen is so weak sauce, I can not wait for Apple to not come out with a new model each quarter for you to upgrade too, so you can really see how cheap of a phone it is, Use your phone for more than 2 months, and real eyes realize real lies

May 8, 2012 @ 4:47 PM

Sammy

My friends and I call her the 1000 emails a day girl.

Hi 1000 emails a day girl!

May 8, 2012 @ 5:21 PM

T.O. Mike

1103 e-mails yesterday for Meridith!!! A touchscreen couldn't handle that!!

May 9, 2012 @ 8:57 AM

@T.O. Mike

You wrote and sent 1103 emails yesterday on your BlackBerry?

(p.s. My lawyer will be in touch with you about that handle.)

May 9, 2012 @ 8:59 AM

LOL

A lawyer should sue you for slander of Blackberry and it's products. I am tired of your page, have a good life Mike.

May 9, 2012 @ 10:29 AM

If anyone is curious, "LOL", "T.O. Mike" and "Touchscreen is bunk" are all three the same commenter. The IP addresses match.

Knowing that, I no longer believe "T.O. Mike" wrote those 1000+ emails yesterday for Meridith.

And it wouldn't be slander, it would be libel, but it's actually neither.

May 9, 2012 @ 10:47 AM

Fever905

Yeah, personally I like Merideth and she's right. I run a small business and handle all customer service emails through my BB Torch. Today I responded to 50 emails and it took me about 45 minutes. It's true, whenever I get txts or emails from people using touchscreens the messages contain numerous errors or periods and new sentences where there should not be. My BB keyboard is great and allowes me to write emails quickly without issues or auto-correct.

May 16, 2012 @ 8:59 PM

Darren

The voice-over is indeed Lance Reddick a.k.a Cedric Daniels from The Wire.

May 16, 2012 @ 9:52 PM

Juan Hombre

Definitely BS on the email count. Anyone with an ounce of math skills knows it doesn't add up.

And for your enjoyment, I thought I'd mention one other dumb-dumb bad facts ad. Ever see the PokerStars ad where they purposely show a lot of numbers? Like how they have millions of members and games going, and in 225 countries? 225 countries? Really? How does that work when the planet we call home only has 197 countries? Are there poker games going on on Mars or the Moon? Nice one.

May 16, 2012 @ 10:01 PM

Brian Colgate

If I have an address book with 500 names and send a single eMail to my entire address book, is that 500 messages?
Just sayin' ... the ad's claims mean nothing.

May 16, 2012 @ 10:12 PM

yahooserious

fuck her

May 17, 2012 @ 10:40 PM

Merideth BB whore

This girl makes me sick to my stomach every time I see this god damn comercial. BB should just whore her out and see if she can suck 1000 cocks a day to save balsilies company.

May 21, 2012 @ 11:38 AM

Herb Tarkel

I hate these ads immensely. This girl is not hot. She's average. Like a Blackberry. Just average.

RIM is dying to keep any kind of a following, and these kind of sad ads just emphasize how bad the company has become.

A blackberry is like a typewriter with an old tube tv on top of it. They are crap.

May 22, 2012 @ 11:28 PM

Mike

I heard she writes the emails while in the shower, Yodeling and juggling

May 23, 2012 @ 12:05 AM

Paul

Every time I see this commercial I can't believe that they are sticking to this very old line that people don't want touchscreen keypads. I think that theory is long out the window given the sales of android and ios devices. However, if you are only using a blackberry, they are correct: blackberry touchscreen keypads really suck. I have a curve and can't type anything on it. The physcial keyboard is definitely much better. I can type at least ten times faster on my iPhone keypad though.

May 23, 2012 @ 10:20 PM

ValiandoIs2ndComing

you guys are looking at this the wrong way. i think 1000 emails a day is a professional milestone I hope to put on my resume one day. right next to types 6 words per minute and knows 4 ways to pronounce the word "tour" .

here you can send professional congrats: http://greenhouseent.com/index.php/about/meridith-valiando/

May 25, 2012 @ 10:38 PM

putzo

She's smell like Nickelback and looks as smart as McDonalds 100% beef.

Her amazing ability to scout the web and find the next big thing is the true essence of value add life skills and the road to productivity.

f'n toolbit...

May 27, 2012 @ 12:48 AM

R

she didn't say she replies to all of them...just that she gets 1000 emails..marketing is all about wording guys...

May 27, 2012 @ 10:24 PM

Velveteen71

I hate this chick. I too have had my fill of her thanks to the endless plays it gets during hockey.

I dunno...I just hate uppity, arrogant 15 year old girls.

And: fuck your BB keyboard. I can DICTATE to my Android.

Thanks for this article!

May 29, 2012 @ 11:01 AM

Mark Weiss

I work in the music biz and wrote about that commercial as well, or nearly as well. I also wrote her an email but got no response. Or did I write the tour manager?

June 8, 2012 @ 12:20 AM

Nick Dodd

So many people here are so negative, biased, and un informed. Or just idiots. I have a 9900 and I love this phone, battery is great, and when I'm at my desk doing business its super easy to have the phone plugged in or docked and easily burn 100's of emails in only an hour or two. If you're doing business this phone is great and highly capable of 1000 a day. You want to debate? Challenge? BlackBerry's are awesome, and BlackBerry 10 will blow Android and iPhone out of the water. Mark my words.

July 29, 2012 @ 7:11 PM