Edwin: Bartender

beerThis past weekend, I heard I Mother Earth on the radio. I think it was "Used to be Alright", but it might have been "Another Sunday". It was definitely an Edwin tune, because I immediately wondered what had become of him.

I know Edwin left I Mother Earth in 1997, and I remember Edge 102 playing the shit out of his solo album Another Spin Around the Sun. I even saw him at Edgefest that year at Molson Park in Barrie, but that was over a decade ago. Where's Edwin at?

This morning, while checking out Google+, I found this post by my buddy Marc. Edwin is working as a bartender at Tattoo Rock Parlour, a Queen Street rock bar.

Oh... and in addition to serving drinks, he occasionally sings there.

edwin

Bonus trivia: Edwin Ghazal turns 43 next month. Am I the only one who expected more from Edwin? Between IME and his first solo album, the man amassed no less than 9 Cancon radio hits, by my calculations. All in a 7-year span...

Rob

Don't forget about Crash Karma. They weren't too bad, and had a few hits. I know the answer can't always be, 'why don't you guys get back together', but don't you think that may be a good opportunity for Edwin and the rest of IME? http://www.crashkarma.com/

August 24, 2011 @ 9:59 AM

Mike Kic

43 years old and bartending at Tattoo....ain't it good to be.....alive?!

August 24, 2011 @ 11:40 AM

Digger

I met "Mother" in Hamilton years ago. She was proud of her son and his band. Rightfully so (at the time).

August 24, 2011 @ 1:00 PM

Mississauga Phil

Used to be a Huge IME/Edwin fan. Hoever his 2nd solo disc (Edwin & The Pressure) was a turd...hence his fall from grace. Crash Karma (with Mike...formerly of Our Lady Peace) is still trying to get off the ground. I have their album and it has some good tracks and some bad tracks. I saw them live at the Black Bull in Burlington last summer and the majority of the set was Edwin trying to sing Old Our Lady Peace/I Mother Earth hits (I've never heard Clumsy done worse). I think bartending, and re-living the old days are all that Edwin has left.

Oh, and IME are doing a reunion tour, but its with Brian on vox, not Edwin.

August 24, 2011 @ 2:03 PM

sinnacle

With those hits I'm scared to think what Blue Peter is up to these days.

August 24, 2011 @ 7:13 PM

I got a couple of emails about the 9 Edwin-led Cancon hits I counted. Here's my list, based from the memory of a guy who was listening to CFNY throughout these years.

1. Levitate (IME)
2. So Gently We Go (IME)
3. One More Astronaut (IME)
4. Another Sunday (IME)
5. Used to Be Alright (IME)
6. Trippin (Solo)
7. Hang Ten (Solo)
8. Alive (Solo)
9. And You (Solo)

August 24, 2011 @ 7:26 PM

J9

Good tunes all of them. Glad to hear Edwin is doing OK...he is certainly looking mighty fine.

August 24, 2011 @ 8:26 PM

Romy

There but for the grace of CanCon... like about a zillion other Canadian bands.

August 26, 2011 @ 2:13 AM

Tom

I really liked the first 2 IME albums and Scenery and Fish is one of my all time favourites so I expected a lot out of IME and Edwin once they split. However, I didn't really like what either did after that. I recently learned that Edwin left because he wasn't having much say in the writing of IME's songs. That would explain why I didn't like Edwin's solo stuff, but doesn't explain why I didn't care for IME post-Edwin. It might of been once of those cases where the whole was greater than the sum of the parts.

August 29, 2011 @ 2:52 PM

Support Spy

From what I understand, he has a financial interest in the bar. He actually enjoys bartending there.

Having said that, I think he learned two lessons: Don't argue with the Tannas, and there is a lot less pressure working in a bar. IME could have been much more had they learned to get along.

August 29, 2011 @ 9:28 PM

Raine

"There but for the grace of CanCon... like about a zillion other Canadian bands."

Yes, because all bands from other countries chart on rock radio because of their high quality...

January 17, 2012 @ 12:20 PM

epicollision

a possible great musical leagacy ruined by jealousy and childishness... well we have the memories

April 27, 2012 @ 4:46 PM

Kim

Edwin was born in 1965. I should know- I went out with him for 10 yrs. -the I Mother Earth years. He quit the band because it wasn't what he got into music for in the 1st place & wanted to be happy making music. He left- Jag & Chris didn't kick him out. He actually beat IME for best video w/ his 1st solo effort with the son. "Hang Ten"- I was the girl in that video. Wish IME could've gotten along & made it work- they were damn good! Now I wish him only the best & he seems to like being at Tatoo since he's been there for about 10 yrs. Whatever gets you through the night!!

January 31, 2013 @ 7:16 PM

Lisa

Always loved IME? Saw them live, even better. Edwin was a perfect frontman. Loved the solo music. He was better than the Tanna's temperament. Always be a supporter of all he does.

February 26, 2013 @ 8:03 PM

Lisa

February 26, 2013 @ 8:03 PM

Lisa

February 26, 2013 @ 8:03 PM

Lisa

February 26, 2013 @ 8:03 PM

Lisa

February 26, 2013 @ 8:03 PM

Lisa

Saw IME years ago when they were amazing. The Tanna Temper would make anyone want to leave. Love Edwin's solo music, all of it. Hope that he's happy with anything he does.

February 26, 2013 @ 8:06 PM

Matt

..Let me tell you soomething about Edwin, You all will think differently about the orgins of the name IME ..I once worked with Edwin in a bar downtown for a couple years. He was just singing occasionally here and there. One night he said to me that we was going to form a band called Mother Earth. He said you can run security for me and I laughed. I said that is a lame name for a band.That was 1990.(2 years before the band formed)
So remember Edwin left the band because he had no creative control. hell the guy named the band! This little fact is true and most people will never know the real truth. Really too Bad!
Matt

April 23, 2014 @ 5:32 PM

Bartending Courses

Too bad I missed this event. I like Edwin. He rocks!

November 19, 2014 @ 10:31 AM

Denial

I'll have to go have a drink,
Maybe ask him what the fuck he expected, with The Preaaure, if I have too many

January 14, 2015 @ 3:23 PM

Lord Bannister

I Mother Earth was awesome... saw them Live in Montreal mid 90's for F1 Weekend, and they blew the doors off the place... I look forward to popping into the Tattoo rock Parlour next time i'm in T.O for a touch up on the ink, and shake Edwin's hand and thank him for all those great memories of the parties fuelled with IME on the speakers...

July 6, 2017 @ 9:12 PM