Getting Fired....again.

A few thoughts on getting fired.
Getting fired has made me fat. And lazy. I'm just barely able to bother writing a few line for Mikey Mike's little blog.
I miss being funny every day. Getting fired has made me think less and worry more but I'm out of the practice of making fun of shit on a regular basis.
I don't talk as much. Maybe that's a good thing.
Getting fired is good in that I am spending a great Summer hanging out more with my kids but I'm also counting down the days till the Fall when I really should be doing something for a living.
I'm sure that I will never work again.
I'm sure that I will.
Then I'm not sure some more.
Getting fired has put me in touch with some remarkable and interesting people. It has also put me in touch with some people I'd never have anything to do with if I still had a job and didn't need to suck up to them for some video thing.
I am not working on the Radio but I do work quite a bit for someone with no regular gig. I shoot corporate videos and I'm working on some TV production stuff but I'm not doing what I'm meant to and that always leaves us fired-folk out of sorts.
I miss my friends in the biz but I don't miss some of the people who run the biz. Some of them are mean and they fired me.
The strange quirk of Radio is that the people who know the most about resonating with an audience are on the air and being managed, for the most part, by people who sucked at it and therefore became "managers." They wanted to perform but couldn't so they get to tell the people who can how to do it. This is why Radio is no longer very much fun to listen to.
I will be back on the air again. But that air maybe different.
Getting fired has reminded me that I'd much rather be Not-FIred even though sleeping in past 4am is pretty sweet. Maybe I could figure out a way for you to hear me again without having to get up in the middle of the night.
Maybe I already have.
Maybe It's just wishful thinking.
Getting fired gives you a lot of time for that.

James edgar

Howard I'd love to say I miss you on the air but truth is I never listened to you much on 97.3. the few times i did you were great and I liked Coleen too.

But the blandness of the music (not just on 97.3)has me listening to CD'S ,MP3's and the Fan more often than not. I hope you do get back somewhere especially somewhere i have an interest in listening.

July 13, 2011 @ 12:55 PM

Digger

Howard,

In a way, it is unfortunate (for you, not listeners) that you are best at a morning show. Maybe afternoon drive? Either of those shows needs to be done live, otherwise you could voice-track everything like too many stations do.

Wishing you a reasonable appointment with Dr. Summeroff and the best of luck (let's admit it, luck does play a role) in getting your next gig.

July 13, 2011 @ 1:02 PM

Paul

Howard, you and colleen kept me company for nearly a year as I drove my 1.5 hour commute. You guys almost got me into a few accidents cause I was laughing so hard. I miss you guys, I never really cared too much for some of the music that was played on the station but listening in on the morning show was my daily highlight. I hope soon that you two will be back together online, there must be some people in charge of the "biz" that know how to recognize talent somewhere...

July 13, 2011 @ 1:18 PM

RyeSwmmr

Howard, I've followed you from radio station to radio station. Regardless of music (unless you end up on country, I won't go there) if you're hosting I'm listening. I miss listening to you in the morning and have now switched off radio to listen to Kevin Smith live podcasts done as internet radio for my mornings. I can't stomach most of the hosts currently on radio air. But if you come back, however you come back, I'll be listening. Hope you enjoy your summer off.

July 13, 2011 @ 1:28 PM

Cori

Howard -
Listened to you in Calgary, long before Toronto and my own foray into 'the biz'. Things change. Shift happens. Suddenly we are somewhere new. Enjoy a little breathing room - truth is - talent like yours doesn't stay on the street for long.

Have the kids fetch you a beer. (hey, they have to learn how to be 'managed' sometime. ;)

July 13, 2011 @ 1:34 PM

Vanessa

great post! it reminds me that business' can be brutal, especially media based ones.

bosses are trying to profit at the best of their ability, and that means change.

i think it's wonderful you are doing what you're meant to do (TV production), as some of us are still struggling to find our true ambitions.

if you do miss being listened to by an audience, a pod cast is a great way for you to be heard again, Howard.

July 13, 2011 @ 1:39 PM

Elba

I miss your schtick on radio. I hope you return soon.

July 13, 2011 @ 2:04 PM

John

well, mornings certainly aren't as much fun since you've left. I actually didn't mind the music on Boom, but haven't listened since you were fired, out of principle.

I now listen to the CBC - I am much better informed but don't smile or laugh nearly as much.

Put me down for a monthly subscription to a podcast - 1 hour every few days would be fine. I already subscribe to other sites like that and it works well. Get to it, man, there are a lot of us out there. Cheers.

July 13, 2011 @ 3:46 PM

Mike O

Maby it's time to get your self doing something on the net, I like others to, spend most of there time there, I even listen to my music there now, or get a blog going on FB tell some jokes, get some morning games ,going on. i'm just a slall unknown guy,not like yourself, that likes ta have fun,and tells the odd joke in the morning,and you'll be surprised how mutch feed back I get, I could just imagine you doing something!!

July 13, 2011 @ 3:59 PM

Liz

Jesus, that was a real bummer, HH. But you're just being honest. Being fired is soul destroying. No two ways about it. And the d-bags who have the job of doing said firing are usually class-A f-wads. That's a constant regardless of sector. Sad commentary on the working world. That said, there are a ton of great gigs out there - so after the dog days, get your ass out there and take one of them. Or create one. You're too talented not to.

In the meanwhile, have a fab summer with the girls.

July 13, 2011 @ 5:18 PM

siriusxm

Maybe a gig on Sirius Satellite Radio.....i don't think they fire anyone! Their Canadian station Iceberg 151 could use a show like yours.

July 13, 2011 @ 7:19 PM

Ryan G

i genuinely feel bad for anyone who loses a gig, regardless of the industry, when they're basically doing a good job and are passionate about the work, which is clearly the case with HH.

which is what blows about working in radio and television in particular. the number of job openings outnumber the people wanting to do the work exponentionally - as such it's a buyer's market for management and they can be as fickle as they like about who they put on air.

but there is hope howard. look at how things turned for erin davis (although i dislike her greatly), and freddie p.

hell, even mike house-capades bullard has come out with a decent gig.

good luck and howard, keep your pimp hand strong.

July 14, 2011 @ 7:12 AM

Fromthepast

Howard,

You said everything that I have been thinking for years. I remember being managed by someone who never was on the air in a major market and he was the most degrading, racist, ass of a supervisor that I have ever had. All he did was copy some american stations and make life miserable for most. Radio should be fun. Unfortunetly depending on your boss and corporate - it is not. I love radio but hate the radio industry that made me want to leave it behind.

July 14, 2011 @ 11:22 AM

Dodi

I am a little taken back at the honesty in this post. I am saddened to hear the thoughts you wrote down. The business/corporate world is mean, its scary and no one is safe. Keep your chin up and try your hand at the Mighty Q?! ...ya never know what life has in store for you. sending positive thoughts out your way xo

July 15, 2011 @ 10:49 AM

Joan

HH - morning radio hasn't been the same since you left. I was actually eager to get into my car at 4:55 am every morning so I could be on time to listen for that hour on my way in to the office. What a load of schmucks. I'm sure you will work again, you have to. You were very relevant. (that's the buzz word in our office, thought I'd use it in a sentence today)

You made me laugh and I would giggle the whole way into the office. There isn't so much giggling now with the current morning person. Not his fault I'm sure, just not a funny guy.

Come back to use Humble... come back soon.

July 20, 2011 @ 7:53 AM

Anna

Hello Humble, I miss you and Colleen terribly you guys put a smile on my face every morning before coming to work, it is such a shame, after you and Colleen went off the air I switched to Mad dog and Billie and they are not there anymore either... now what??!!

July 25, 2011 @ 7:35 AM

jacksondunlop

It would be great if you didn't have to get up at 4:00 - I can relate to that kinda crap. But hopefully you're on to something else soon. I've been listening to you for way too many years (and stations) to be sitting in my car having to listen to who knows what.

August 8, 2011 @ 9:29 AM

Jane

You know - I never liked the music on Boom but I listened to you and Colleen on the morning show. The day after you guys were fired I changed the channel and I've never listened to the station again. For a few weeks my morning drive felt strange and I arrived at work feeling uncomfortable and grumpy. I guess I'm over it now but Howard - really - I am getting sick of following you all over the dial. I even listened to friggin MoJo when you and Fred were on there.....

September 23, 2011 @ 6:58 PM

meghan brousseau

Was saddened to hear about your being asked to leave Boom. Was really starting to like that channel. Now, not so much. Hope to hear you on the air, or interwebs, soon!

September 29, 2011 @ 11:30 AM