The Slippery Slope of Independent Blogging

NotepadFor a while this past summer, my ring tone was Lester Freamon in The Wire saying "all the pieces matter". It's perhaps that line more than any other in the series that rings most true. All the pieces do matter, and they all connect, but you have to recognize them before you can measure their influence.

I've spent some time these past few weeks attacking Pepsi for their Cheer Nation campaign. If you follow this blog, you're likely sick if me blogging about the Saskatoon article, the Vancouver article and literally starting Twitter wars with panty salespeople. And it's pretty tough to get sick of Twitter wars with panty salespeople.

I wasn't shy with my passionate hatred for that Pepsi campaign, which I now blame for the silver medal. You really couldn't read this blog over the past few weeks and miss it. It became something personal to me, and when a battle becomes personal, you'll sacrifice almost anything to win. @pmcphedran joked that I had killed my shot at getting any Pepsi perks.

A few days ago, I heard from Pepsi. Specifically, I heard from Gatorade, but Pepsi owns Gatorade and this story is better if I say I heard from Pepsi.

Gatorade asked if they could buy me lunch at the Sterling Room in the Air Canada Club on Sunday afternoon. After lunch, they'll give me courtside seats to see the Boston Celtics take on our Toronto Raptors. Of course there's no such thing as a free lunch (or free courtside seats at the ACC), so I'll be hearing about Gatorade's newest promotion at some point. After seven years of blogging, I've got the drill down pat.

This is the slippery slope of independent blogging. In one entry you'll lambaste Pepsi for thrusting the worst ad campaign in Canadian television history down your throat and in the next entry you'll promote their newest campaign while you thank them for the penne putenesca and courtside Raps tix you know you could never afford on your own.

All the pieces matter...

felix

Well, Mike, you know what 'they' say: Bad press is better than no press at all, right?

January 7, 2010 @ 8:27 PM

felix

Also, see if you can get them to bring back Crystal Pepsi.

Thanks.

January 7, 2010 @ 8:28 PM

MississaugaBlogger.com

I would like a case if G2 orange and fruit punch if you can swing it. :)

January 7, 2010 @ 8:46 PM

andrew

Just playin' for freebies??
Maybe you will get FREE Leaf tiks for the PLAYOFFS this year.
LOL

January 7, 2010 @ 9:43 PM

Elba

So are you going?

January 8, 2010 @ 8:49 AM

McNulty

I just like the "All The Pieces Matter" reference.

January 8, 2010 @ 9:39 AM

Bill

I am new to reading your blog and as yet I am not sure I have you figured out. I appreciate your passion but I am not able to tell if there is tongue in cheek re Pepsi caused the silver medal. By your own admission the program was a failure. How did if have any affect on hockey outcome? Tell me to lighten up and enjoy the conversation and not get too full of myself.

I have to assume that Pepsi appreciates your comments no matter how positve or negative they are and feel they can use them to their benefit. Kudos to Pepsi for hearing both sides of the story. Sounds like they aren't afraid to put themselves out there. As well I have to assume they trust Mike's professionalism.
It sounds like I am a Pepsi lover when in reality I am a Coke man. Never touch a Pepsi. Just got high speed here in the boonies and am enjoying the blogs. Keep up the poigniant observations.

January 8, 2010 @ 9:40 AM

Blaming Pepsi's cheer for the silver is all in good fun, but my passionate dislike for the campaign is completely sincere.

January 8, 2010 @ 9:47 AM

Yes, I'm going. Courtside seats are $471 and I'd love to see the Raps and Celtics from there.

January 8, 2010 @ 9:50 AM

Wayner

You've let it be known that you have accepted a gift on behalf of a "client". You, therefore have provided full disclosure to all. Hopefully any comments dealing with gatorade will be untinged by the possibility of future "gifts"...

January 8, 2010 @ 10:09 AM

That's just it. I wouldn't start blabbing about the latest Gatorade promotion without explicitly stating that they wined and dined me.

The fact of the matter is that this is a hobby and doesn't pay the bills. If I do the math and see how much money I make per entry, it's quite laughable. I do this because I enjoy it and periodically I get some swag from Gatorade, Ford, Canadian Tire, Disney or whoever. I'm okay with that, so long as I disclose it.

January 8, 2010 @ 10:35 AM

The_Voice

If you need someone to join you, I'd volunteer ;).

Outside of any advertisement, I'm an avid Pepsi drinker.

When I go to a restaurant, I usually ask for a Coke (because they all carry cola of some kind), and when they say, "Is Pepsi ok?", I usually say, "Pepsi's better".

January 8, 2010 @ 11:36 AM

Liz

Good for you, Mike. Enjoy the "game" - the one the PR people play and the real one you're looking forward to watching courtside. You know the drill and you're a full disclosure guy every step of the way. I just love that for once, one of the good guys like you will get some of the spoils. Again, have a great time!

January 8, 2010 @ 12:07 PM

LEW

Why are you so sure about Gatorade's motives. They just dumped Tiger's Gatorade drink; my assumption is that they are going to name their next drink after you!
Now we just need a name, a catch phrase and a jingle..

January 8, 2010 @ 1:42 PM

Andrew

How about "Be Like Mike!"... I like the sound of it... catchy, yet somehow familiar.

;)

Cheers!
Andrew

January 8, 2010 @ 3:27 PM

felix

Now, in all seriousness, get them to bring back the Citrus Cooler flavour of Gatorade. That stuff was the best.

January 8, 2010 @ 8:03 PM