Cheer Nation? I'm Not Chanting "Eh! O' Canada Go!" For Pepsi

thumbs downIf you've watched any hockey lately, you've likely seen the ads for Cheer Nation. Pepsi seems to think the voices of Hockey Canada's fans need to be united with an official cheer. They've unveiled this new cheer under the marketing banner "Cheer Nation".

I've got several issues with this. Let's see... where should I begin...

The Premise is Faulty
Team Canada hockey fans don't need to be united. We are united. It's not broken and certainly doesn't need fixing. As my Twitter buddy @vinaymenon said, Cheer Nation reminds us all of New Coke and other forced marketing gimmicks.

The Cheer is Shitty
The cheer, in case you've missed it, is Eh! O' Canada Go!. That's awful. I'd be embarrassed to be caught saying that in public. I think I'll stick with the tried and true. Ca-Na-Da! Ca-Na-Da!

We Aren't Owned by a Multinational Corporation
PepsiCo, Incorporated is in the business of selling carbonated and non-carbonated beverages. There's nothing wrong with that, but this "Cheer Nation" moniker and the cheer itself is theirs. Hockey Canada fans are not sheep. We'll be cheering for Team Canada, but not for Pepsi.

And one more thing before I leave this topic for good. Pepsi promises the names of the first million fans to join 'Cheer Nation' in support of the cheer will be displayed in Hockey Hall of Fame. Thank you, PepsiCo for devaluing that hallowed hockey shrine with one fell swoop. I can't imagine anything minimizing the accomplishing of being displayed in the Hockey Hall of Fame quite like that.

You can keep your Cheer Nation. I'm not chanting for Pepsi.

El Torpedo

Ome on Mike - the HHOF devalued itself a long time ago by inducting some of the most dubious inductees of any pro sports hall of fame!

December 17, 2009 @ 2:52 PM

Rob

I totally agree with El Torpedo, some marketing scheme aimed at uniting Canada with a stupid chat won't fly , Pepsi, we are too smart for that. we don't need a chant, we just want to watch and enjoy the game.

December 17, 2009 @ 9:13 PM

Digger

Does anyone have the talent to rewrite the words to Neil Young's "This Note's For You"?

The start is easy: "Ain't chanting for Pepsi..."

Cheer Nation - what a joke.

CA NA DA! CA NA DA!

December 18, 2009 @ 7:47 AM

pissed canuck

@rob : peppsi were too smart, were not american. and tits the worst fucking cheer ive ever heard of. i want to turn my tv off everytime it comes on.

December 23, 2009 @ 10:06 PM

Rogan Hennie

NO WAY AM I SIGNING UP FOR CHEER NATION! I've been to the Hall of Fame, I've been playing hockey my whole life (beer leagues are the best) and I would laugh at any nation who had the cheapskate notion to put MY name in the HOCKEY HALL OF FAME for only texting 12345 to Pepsi and cheering this lame cheer. No Thank You. I'm a proud Canadian and I drink Coke!

December 28, 2009 @ 5:39 PM

Dale

IT's a lousy cheer. It should be " CAN- DO- CANADA"

December 29, 2009 @ 10:48 PM

Dale

IT's a lousy cheer. It should be " CAN- DO- CANADA"

December 29, 2009 @ 10:53 PM

Andrea

I cant stand the cheer - its not Canadian and its crappy - embarrasing and I won't use it .. GO Canada Go ...

December 29, 2009 @ 11:10 PM

Joe

I think it's a great cheer. Get behind it guys! C'mon! Oh! Eh! Canada's Gay!

December 29, 2009 @ 11:43 PM

Ian

This is the stupidest cheer I have ever heard. Cheers happen on their own, and if this was meant to be the cheer of canada, it would have been brought up a long time ago. This cheer sucks and I will never say it and at the olympics when they try to force people to say it, people will chant Canada instead.

December 30, 2009 @ 8:11 AM

Tammy

Call me whacky...but I've been cheering for Canadian hockey for over 40 years. I find it odd that in the year of the 2010 Olympics, we have to "create" a National Cheer?? It sucks! First off, we Canadian's don't use "Eh" at the beginning of a sentence.(You know what I mean, eh?) I'm sticking with the tried and true, "Go Canada Go" (then if you want...add "eh" at the end..nah! Just Go Canada Go. Good enough!!)

December 30, 2009 @ 5:03 PM

I've been quoted in the Saskatoon StarPhoenix, rallying against Pepsi and this cheer.

It's disgusting. I hate this campaign with a passion. We don't need Pepsi creating a national cheer and we don't want Pepsi creating a national cheer.

I'm shocked there's not more of an outcry as this campaign is jammed down our collective throats while we watch and cheer for our nation playing our national game.

It's enough to make me want to boycott all Pepsi products.

December 30, 2009 @ 5:20 PM

Tym Machine

@Toronto Mike,

The best proof that it's pure hypocrisy on behalf of Pepsi is that in Quebec, they play the nationalist-separatist card to sell more Pepsi and they also want to do the same in the ROC with that marketing ploy.

Even though, they are not alone to do that (their daughter company Pizza Hut calls the Canadian eh pizza, la Québecoise in Québec and Giant Tiger and Wal Mart like to wear the fleur de lysée in Québec while wearing the maple leaf in the ROC), it should definitely be plenty enough to lauch a boycott of all Pepsi products including a boycott of Pizza Hut, one of their daughter company and Tropicana as well. Buy Coke, Sprite and Minute Maid instead!

December 31, 2009 @ 3:27 PM

Mike

there is only one cheer, and that is "Go Canada Go", They have been using that for years, as far as I can remember.

December 31, 2009 @ 10:03 PM

Jason

The cheer is lame, manipulative, and perhaps worst of all, grammatically incorrect. Not only do we not use "Eh" at the beginning of a sentence (as Tammy pointed out), but
our national anthem is "O Canada", not "O'Canada". Last time I checked Ireland wasn't in the tournament, fuckers.

January 1, 2010 @ 12:45 AM

Mike Freeman

Gotta say I agree with most of the above, especially Toronto Mike (I'm also a Mike from Toronto, but not that one). Cheering is natural, not contrived by a multinational corporation for its commercial interests.

January 1, 2010 @ 1:32 AM

Diane

The crowd will decide - and having been in Saskatoon for a game, the loudest cheer was Go Canada Go. The Eh/O version didn't get the crowd involved and sounded contrived.

January 1, 2010 @ 11:48 AM

James

I think this sucks. Pepsi just cashing in that's all. I'm surprised they didn't add: eh o canada go, this chant courtesy of pepsico...give me a coke and Go Canada Go anytime

January 1, 2010 @ 2:17 PM

Chris

Join this facebook group in protest of this pathetic chant

January 2, 2010 @ 3:21 AM

This sucks

Cheer Nation sucks.

Eh! O' Canada Go! sucks.

Pepsi sucks.

Go Canada Go!

January 2, 2010 @ 3:54 PM

Canada Rules

We attended The World Juniors in Halifax in 2003 (we lost to Russia in the final). My son was eight years old, we left the Gold medal game deflated! At about 2am sleeping in the hotel my son was chanting IN HIS SLEEP "GO CANADA GO". This cheer and no other will always be the only cheer you will hear in our family!!!

January 2, 2010 @ 7:25 PM

Jim

Agreed completely, and above all else, it is a terrible cheer. Glad to have not heard it at the jrs. Just one thing though, to the guy who said, "we're not American", get over yourself. It's got nothing to do with that. -an American who admires Canada.

January 2, 2010 @ 7:34 PM

pepsi sucks

January 3, 2010 @ 2:52 AM

pepsi sucks

I hate this cheer with a passion. So much so that I didn't think simply boycotting it was enough so I have been flooding the cheernation with names such as pepsi sucks etc to go to the hall of fame. prob get removed but at least it makes them work and they will get an idea that people @#$%ing hate it. I urge people to do the same. GO Canada Go!

January 3, 2010 @ 2:53 AM

justin

go canada go will be said in our house like it or not its is canada game

January 3, 2010 @ 12:54 PM

canadagraphs

Good blog. I was going to rant in mine about the similar details, but havent.

I am a huge pepsi drinker, and usually support anything they do vs coke. But this is one of the WORST marketing campaigns in the history of the industry.

I never really thought about the HOF aspect of it till you brought it up. HOW can they be on board with this? Are they willing to sully the halls reputation for some $$ from a corporate sponsor?

Will my next visiting to the HHOF actually be to the SHHOF "Starbucks Hockey Hall Of Fame"? Or something similar?

I think this will be a disaster for pepsi, Team Canada (who allowed them the use of their logo in the advertising) and HHOF. Thankfully, all 3 companies are so large this will only temporarily hinder them. Hopefully they learn their lesson & dont try to do something this idiotic again.

Thanks for your viewpoint. I rarely follow links posted to me on twitter from unknown users, but for some reason felt like checking this one. Glad I did.

January 3, 2010 @ 3:24 PM

scott

The cheer blows almost as much as the retarded commercial where they have 8 people chanting in a sound studio and try to make it look like it's the crowd....like a bad chinese martial arts movie.

January 3, 2010 @ 5:59 PM

Jen

I hate this 'cheer' so much. HATE. SO MUCH. It makes me want to throw things at the tv every time that stupid commercial comes on.

January 3, 2010 @ 6:16 PM

etsd

it's not bad enough that we have the players talking about "replenishing their electrolytes" like they know what the fuck it means, but they have the pepsico VP saying he wants to build a "canadian legacy". we already have one.. it's called canadian hockey, and we don't need an american company trying to be a part of it.

i don't know what's funnier, the audience plants trying, and horribly failing, to "spontaneously" start up this chant or hearing it piped in over the loud speakers.

January 3, 2010 @ 7:25 PM

Sandy Duncan Stafford

Pepsi is #1 and the cheer is very catchy. Good job.

January 3, 2010 @ 7:55 PM

Matt

I cringe every time this commercial comes on (which unfortunately is about 4 times an hour). This will go down as one of the worst marketing campaigns ever. Go Canada Go!

January 3, 2010 @ 8:01 PM

@Sandy Duncan Stafford

You may find the cheer to be "catchy" and you may prefer the taste of Pepsi to Coke, but you can't deny the cheer is unnecessary and it's mere presence in our lives is offensive.

January 3, 2010 @ 8:02 PM

Leon

This chant is stupid.

And humiliating.

And embarrasing.

What a terrible ad campaign.

January 3, 2010 @ 9:30 PM

Whatever

@Toronto Mike

Can Sandy Duncan Stafford not have her opinion? I personally agree with her. The chant is fine. It was left up to the public to submit their chants - I personally was at a Team Canada game here in my city and the chant WAS used and people were VERY into it. That said, do you not remember Molson Canadian using Blitzkreig Bop in their marketing campain? "Eh Oh Let's GO". That was huge.

To the person who says the players don't know what Electrolytes are - you don't think these kids are taught about electrolytes? Give them some freaking credit.

January 3, 2010 @ 9:52 PM

Vanguy

@Whatever

Sure, she can have her opinion. Mike, and pretty much everyone else on here is just telling her it's a bad opinion.
Left up to the public? That is ridiculous...the fact that a company thinks they need to hold a contest to decide what we say at a game is an insult to us as Hockey fans.

Do you think Liverpool has to chime in You'll Never Walk Alone over the loud speaker??

January 4, 2010 @ 12:26 AM

Bob

It's just an embarrassment... every time it is attempted to get started up, starting quietly and dieing shortly after, I just imagine how much better this tournament would have been without it. Fans could actually start real chants that would last more than 5 seconds, and not be completely forced.

Thank God Coke is sponsoring the Olympics, I will be there in Vancouver and you can bet we won't be using this terrible chant to support the boys.

January 4, 2010 @ 1:42 PM

@Bob

I think you've hit the nail on the head.

Pepsi's damn cheer is detracting from this wonderful tournament. The TSN telecasts (and website) are absolutely littered with this garbage.

And yes, it's an insult to the intelligence of every Canadian hockey fan. It's darn right humiliating.

Let us cheer our way, the Canadian way, and get the hell out of our game and hall of fame.

January 4, 2010 @ 1:46 PM

Geoff in Van

It's true that everyone should be entitled to have a dissenting opinion. That said do you really think that the marketing clowns who invented this 'need' for a new cheer really thought Team Canada or their fans were lacking anything? Are they inventing new cheers for Team Germany? No. These marketing types are parasites feeding off our nation's love of hockey. Look out - the Lord's Prayer is next... Our Father, who chugs in heaven. Pepsi be thy name...

January 4, 2010 @ 6:44 PM

Run22

I have to agree the Cheer really sucks, there was one decent one that did not win. It was based on a soccer style chant where opposite sides of the arena shout out different things with one side yelling C the other EH, N,EH, D, EH and so on. I don't think it should replace go Canada Go! but it would be a cool thing so see as part of a team Canada game like after a goal is announced or something. The pepsi version added we say go canada go, which sounds horrible

January 4, 2010 @ 7:16 PM

Package

The "Cheer Nation" program is an effort by Pepsi to get Canadian hockey fans "Warmed Up" for the Olympics - an event that is an exclusive sponsorship held by their bitter rival Coke.

Its an effort to have a Pespi cheer somehow become part of the Olympics at the venues, and stealing some Coke's thunder#.

If they believe something like this works, I have some swamp land in Florida for the member of the Pespi marketing committee.

January 5, 2010 @ 2:36 AM

Kent

"Cheer Nation" is literally a joke. My dad and I actually took bets on how many times Pepsi would plant somebody in the crowd during the Canada/USA game on New Year's. We set the over/under to 3.5, and I took the under.

I'm embarassed to say that I lost. Mercifully, none of the 4 times it happened took off, getting a couple quiet repititions before deafening GO CANADA GO cheers overtook it.

January 5, 2010 @ 3:46 PM

Hockey Mom

..ok folks..the whole marketing program for the Pepsi cheer is a collorboration between Pepsi, Hockey Canada and the HHOF...so don't only be blasting Pepsi...learn the facts...many things seem like a good idea in the boardroom but not out on the streets when implemented...

January 5, 2010 @ 4:02 PM

been there

I was there, and this cheer is NOT being used. All I remember hearing is Ca Na Da.

January 5, 2010 @ 6:23 PM

Geoff in Van

I wonder about these random people defending Pepsi... Clearly the overwhelming majority of people posting are disgusted by this sort of corporate manipulation of something as organic and spontaneous as a cheer. Who are you people really...? Also, do you seriously think that Hockey Canada and the HHOF came up with these idea in the first place...? Pulease... But you are right in that all three of these organizations are complicit and deserve a black eye for this sort of unwanted tampering

January 5, 2010 @ 7:19 PM

paul

all ive gotta say is, "Fuck you Pepsi!"

January 5, 2010 @ 8:16 PM

Brianna

Clearly you all have way too much time on your hands to worry about corporate maniulation of the masses. But honestly...WHO CARES?! Its a cheer! It'll go away in no more than a month. No need to get your panties in a bunch. Maybe you should stop drooling over your Sidney Crosby poster, while dreaming over the days when you weren't a washed up grisley faced biggot who has nothing better to do but b!tch about tv ads and get your ass off that couch of your's and...I don't know...maybe get a life? Just sayin'....

January 5, 2010 @ 8:31 PM

crazyfrog

the cheer sucks - coke rules

January 5, 2010 @ 9:01 PM

Landlocation

Eh! Oh! Pepsi Go! Go so ffff far away.

January 5, 2010 @ 9:39 PM

Daryn

Here's what I've noticed... Since the arrival of professional soccer to this country (TFC) and the successes of Vancouver Whitecaps and the Montreal Impact (USL), hockey is trying to take a page out of the soccer book in terms of support. Non-traditional hockey "fans" are looking to soccer for something new. They see (or rather hear) the chants and songs being belted out at soccer matches and want to duplicate that in a totally different arena - no pun intended. Team scarves are another example of this.
I'm a fan of both games. They're both unique in their own ways. Hockey doesn't need anything - leave it alone. Let the real fans decide what they want to cheer.
Go Canada Go!!!

January 5, 2010 @ 10:00 PM

Adam

Amen to that

January 5, 2010 @ 10:26 PM

you are all stupid

You know that it was only a contest sponcored by pepsi right?? Its not the pepsi corporation that came up with the chant, it was some women in Ontario who entered a contest and other Canadians voted on it and that is how it became an Ad during the world juniors. So its an ad campaign that went wrong and you are all getting your knickers in a twist about it - must be working on some level as you are all friggen talking about it. So really in a way Pepsi has won!!!

January 5, 2010 @ 10:47 PM

Mike

GO CANADA GO ... this or anything but the STUPID Pepsi cheer

January 5, 2010 @ 10:47 PM

Pepsi Curse

The Pepsi curse is alive!

This ugly pepsi cheer has jinxed Team Canada.

Damn you, Pepsi! Damn you to hell!!!!

January 5, 2010 @ 10:52 PM

Mike

here are some new chants

EH, O PEPSI GO AND KEEP GOING

GO COKE GO!!

January 5, 2010 @ 10:56 PM

Ava

I am not a fan of pepsi but an Ontario school teacher made up this cheer with the help of her class.

January 5, 2010 @ 11:06 PM

Anonymous

Ava, Pepsi exploited the teacher and class. That makes it extra sad.

January 5, 2010 @ 11:13 PM

Dale

Who the fuck actually says eh? I had to laugh,at the Brandt Centre in Regina, all the vendors were selling Coke. There were cans, bottles and cups all over. Where were the Pepsi products?

January 5, 2010 @ 11:30 PM

bill kelly

that cheer just bites..go canada go

January 6, 2010 @ 9:26 AM

Joshua

I agree with all of the comments above that I managed to read.

I am pleased to see that I am not alone in my distaste for this ad campaign.

What a bunch of garbage! You can't just force a cheer onto someone for your own selfish corporate gain.

Stay strong Canada, don't let the corporations control us!

January 6, 2010 @ 11:26 AM

Harvey

While Googling "stupid Pepsi chant" I found this blog - (Thanks Mike, for nailing this on the head) and another reference to a bad chant Pepsi did...

Pepsi did the same promotion in India almost 4 years ago to promote Cricket...(perhaps there was a Cricket crisis- similar to our unity issue, that Pepsi felt needed to be fixed)

Ooh Aah India, AaYa India was the result

They had commercials and Bollywood involved.. people went nuts over it.

But Pepsi's Eh! O' Canada Go .. is so contrived and unnatural...its a discrace. To involve the Hall of Fame, is shameful.

January 6, 2010 @ 4:24 PM

Bill

There are thousands of ideas that hit the marketing world each year. Some work and some don't. Some even become part of our culture. Remember the curfuffle over the Hockey Night in Canada theme song. I am surprised that intelligent people like those who read this blog, would give Pepsi the attention that it is getting. The word Pepsi is typed how many times in this string of comments? How smart are those guys at Pepsi.

January 6, 2010 @ 8:19 PM

Derek

It's racist towards Canadians!

may as well stop beating around the bush and add 'No Doot Aboot It'

January 7, 2010 @ 9:41 AM

Mike

Pepsi needs to quickly extend an apology to all Canadians with their low class attempt to make a Pepsi commercial into a national cheer. Whoever convinced Pepsi that this was a good idea needs to be fired. Someone here suggested they exploited the teacher and her class .. correct .. they did!! and the Hockey Hall of Fame must withdraw from this cheap promotion! I sure hope this cheer is dead and buried before the Olympics.

January 7, 2010 @ 9:53 AM

Ken

This stupid cheer broke our streak.Pepsi must pay.I'll never use their product again. I went for lunch today and asked for a coke.The waitress said "sorry will pepsi do?" I answered"will Monopoly money do?"

January 8, 2010 @ 12:29 AM

Bobw

I'm cheering for Eh O, Canada Go! just because I live in Vancouver and VANOC is trying to suppress ANYTHING that they deem is bad, including Pepsi. There;s even a law here that if you show Pepsi in your window the "Integrated Security Unit" can come into your house to remove it! They even had a whole STREET of murals painted over because they were some kind of threat to the Games!

January 13, 2010 @ 2:25 PM

Charles

But what would TORONTO Mike know about anything, you guys think that National embarrassment known as the Maple Leafs is still Canada's team!

January 13, 2010 @ 2:28 PM

Winnipeger

AGGGH... the Pepsi chant is the worst thing ever created in all of history anywhere.

Anyone caught chanting it should have cold Coke poured on them!

January 20, 2010 @ 3:33 PM

Matt Stajan

I agree, this cheer is bullshit

January 22, 2010 @ 7:09 PM

Courtney

Pepsi probably put people in the stands just to try to get the cheer going. It failed miserably. It is an embarrassment. This "cheer" makes us look like a bunch of rednecks who fall into the stereotype the USA has given us. PepsiCo is an American Company, they know nothing of our country and should worry about embarrassing their own instead.

January 27, 2010 @ 6:44 PM

Markus

They seem to think that we are mindless gits like americans. Pepsi isnt even a Canadian company which would make sense seeing as they seem to think hockey doesnt unit us. The only cheer I have heard with eh in it was "Canada Eh? Canada Eh?Canada Canada Eh Eh Eh" and that was made up by curling fans. Personally I will stick to go Canada go, and Pepsi can stick there chant you know where

February 9, 2010 @ 7:37 PM

Markus

February 9, 2010 @ 7:38 PM

Laura

We should cheer 'Pepsi Sucks' and see how long that will last

February 12, 2010 @ 8:44 PM

brad

i never heard this chant once in vancouver - epic fail

February 27, 2010 @ 7:47 PM

Fred Benson

At least Pepsi is the official soft drink of the Blue Jays. By the way: Sweden has just beat Canada at the Junior Championships in Buffalo. Happy New Year from Pepsi Cheer Nation. Eh! O' Canada! No!

December 31, 2010 @ 6:44 PM

Line Lottie

Oh the memories... Us beating Canada. :D

One can say a lot of things about Pepsi but they sure know how to spend money on commercials, and convince the big names to do them.

August 30, 2011 @ 2:47 AM

dan

Every time I say 'eh'. I correct myself.
It's an embarrassing slang That Canada needs to lose
We have too much class to have us advertised as. 'Canada eh

February 14, 2014 @ 6:52 PM