The Death of Cursive Writing

cursiveI just read an AP write-up about cursive writing being a fading skill and it reminded me of an exchange I had with my son's JK teacher during my very first parent-teacher interview as a parent.

I cracked a joke with Mrs. X. about James learning to type his name and skipping the whole printing thing. She sort of glared at me until I muttered "just kidding" at which point she said "I hope so". You'd think I'd get the message that joking about this topic wasn't funny, but I asked her if they still teach cursive writing any more. I let her know that I never use it. She proudly stated that they still teach cursive writing before typing. I say teach 'em how to sign their cheques and credit card receipts and move straight to keyboard class.

That was three years ago, and I was sincerely surprised we still teach kids cursive writing. I now take all my notes on my laptop or Blackberry. It's not only faster, it deposits my remarks into a centralized database, making it accessible from home, work or wherever. It's smarter.

Be honest, when was the last time you used cursive writing, aside from signing your name to a cheque, credit card receipt or contract?

Pat

Cursive ??
I have NO idea how long it's been. I'm thinking a decade.

September 20, 2009 @ 9:09 PM

Daily

Every day at work.

September 20, 2009 @ 9:20 PM

Horonymous

When I was in school you either printed or wrote. Who are the people who feel that we need to put cursive in front of writing?
Probably the same bunch who call it ice hockey or a house party.

September 20, 2009 @ 10:18 PM

Ajax Mike

I haven't used cursive since grade school, but that's mostly because I was just terrible at it. My handwriting is bad enough when I print, my cursive was even worse.

Though I just tested myself and was pleasantly surprised at how much I still remembered how to do, lower-case anyway. Couldn't do f, r, s, u, v or z. Uppercase I'm not even going to bother trying, some of those were just weird...

September 20, 2009 @ 11:00 PM

danielle

Capital Q in cursive rules. Or ruled, back in the day.

September 21, 2009 @ 12:51 AM

Toronto Mike

Wasn't Capital Q in The Dream Warriors?

September 21, 2009 @ 7:58 AM

Boomer

Horon, my thoughts exactly. My daughter comes home and is talking about learning cursive writing. WTF? Back in the day we simply called it Printing and Writing.

September 21, 2009 @ 8:50 AM

The_Voice

Last time I used it was in university taking notes. It was faster than printing and easier on my hands (since I didn't have to constantly lift and put down the pen).

But since then, I haven't really used it beyond signing stuff at all.

September 21, 2009 @ 9:41 AM

Ctha

Daily at work - have to write instructions on charts for my patients. Writing is faster than printing, but for me, equally as neat (legibility is paramount). Of course, when it comes to reports on consultations, I type faster than I write.

September 21, 2009 @ 12:16 PM

Wayner

Every day at work. I write lettes for a living and i like to get my thoughts down on paper before I use my notebook. My company does not feel my position requires a blackberry and I do not see the need for one for personal use...my kids are starting learn it and are excited about it.

September 21, 2009 @ 4:01 PM

Mike from Lowville

Cursive writing? That's just what we used to call neat printing or writing. Then there was scribble, chicken scratch etc. Fancy name though. Cursive ....huh.

September 22, 2009 @ 6:57 AM

McNulty

Never liked to use it and I don't ever use it now.

Besides the easier flow which a few posters noted, I don't really see the use for it anymore. It was supposed to be a more formal way of writing.

Let it die a quick death. I will not mourn its passing.

September 22, 2009 @ 11:58 AM

irisheyes

I use it everyday and think it is necessary, a lot quicker than printing. It can be beautiful, I love to make the letters L, J and S. The kids do not practice it enough at school and everyones signature from the age of 20 on down look like they are still in the 2nd grade, come on people it doesn't take that long to master and not everyone has a computer or a blackberry!

September 26, 2009 @ 5:15 PM