Canada's First Rogers Batteryless

radioWhile we're on the subject of Toronto radio station call letters that meant something, I just learnt CFRB stands for Canada's First Rogers Batteryless. Those call letters date back to 1927, but all that history doesn't mean much in 2009. Astral Media will now promote the station as Newstalk 1010, leaving CFRB off the marquee.

The station recently let go 12 people, and this week they unveiled a new lineup. Bill Carroll is out as morning man, being replaced by John Moore. In the afternoon drive slot, John Tory is taking the mic.

Admittedly, I don't listen to CFRB Newstalk 1010, so I'm likely not their target audience, but I can't imagine there's a mass populous yearning to hear John Tory on their drive home. Jim Richards, a host I know to be pretty damn funny, would make more sense.

As for branding, I think they should go back to their historical roots. Canada's First Rogers Batteryless!

Barbara W

Bill Carroll is not off CFRB he has the 9-1 slot and his show is now across the Astral Network. So that's a promotion. Bill is happy with it. I am also looking forward to hearing John Moore in the morning and see how that goes. It should be interesting. CFRB or the 'mighty 1010' is an aspect of Toronto's local culture that I enjoy.
Give it a listen.

September 23, 2009 @ 9:41 PM

Toronto Mike

@Barbara W

I never said Bill Carroll had been let go, I just said he was bumped from the highly coveted morning spot.

There's no chance that's a promotion.

September 23, 2009 @ 9:43 PM

Burlington Andy

|Bill Carroll is out as morning man,

Yay!

|being replaced by John Moore.

Crap.

September 23, 2009 @ 10:36 PM

Horonymous

Move over to AM 640 Morning feature Oakley great show.

Mike Stafford comes in after Oakely. Mike is Hilarius and knowledgeable. Too bad we couldn't get AM 640 to dump Charles Adler, Corus Version of a CFRB a host from the 70's' and bring Jim Richards over to afternoons at AM 640

September 23, 2009 @ 11:53 PM

Phil Evans

I think it's actually Canada's First ROGERS Batteryless.

September 24, 2009 @ 2:53 AM

Horonymous

Phil I believe you are correct.

September 24, 2009 @ 7:27 AM

McNulty

Wow.

I have heard John Tory when he subbed for John Moore and he was pretty terrible. The guy has 0 charisma.

It always pisses me off when a stooge like him gets a radio show. What experience does the guy have? He's a failed politician and a crappy host.

Good move CFRB!

September 24, 2009 @ 7:39 AM

Oliver (a/k/a Dizzy)

Another step in the world of generic media. It bothers me that there's no "identity" in TV or Radio anymore. I remember as a kid, we'd listen to CKEY in the morning, CFTO for the news, and WIVB for various sitcoms. Now, it's CTV for the news, and Rock 101 or Country 105 or whatever else for breakfast radio.

And yes, still WIVB for the sitcoms.

Now, I don't reside in Toronto anymore, but it's the same time in Winnipeg, Vancouver, anywhere. I miss identity.

September 24, 2009 @ 8:12 AM

Burlington Andy

Horonymous, thanks fro the info, been there for a while, Oakley is way better that Carroll ever was, and Stafford is funny as hell. The station falls apart after that, and I only listen in the evening if the Leafers are playing.

If Q107 ever resurrects 'Barometer', maybe they will take Bill Carroll back. I miss all those old FM talk shows, Barometer, Walo's World on 'ny.

-old age- I remember back in the early '80s when people were either cfny, Q107 or CHUM-FM listeners. You could walk into a room, and know what station was on in 10 seconds. No overlap in music. Best way to start a fight was to change the station (happened a lot with us cfny listeners).

Hey kids, get off my lawn.-/old age-

September 24, 2009 @ 8:34 AM

Romy

Sadly, to Oliver's point, just another shifting around of the deck chairs on a sinking, and increasingly less relevant, form of media in Toronto. I haven't lived in the world's greatest city for 4 years now, but when I'm back I'll listen to the radio and it's like NOTHING has changed from the hour I left. Same lame formats ("Hey, it's Pebbles and Bam Bam in the morning! Wacky!"), same crap 15 Can-con songs on Q107 and the EDGE and the same old farts calling in to CFR, um oops, NEWSTALK 1010. With very few exceptions, Toronto radio is awful. Um, sorry for the rant. To the point of the thread, it was indeed "First ROGERS Batteryless".

September 24, 2009 @ 10:36 AM

CQ

I'm surprised that a mainstream talk radio station like 'RB doesn't add someone like Mary Ito to its on-air line-up. She's a woman. She's a visible minority. She has a clear voice! And she's already known from having hosted an About Town TV show for a few years until it was cancelled last Spring.

September 24, 2009 @ 10:38 AM

Toronto Mike

Looks like the fact checkers at the Toronto Sun missed this one.

It seems CFRB did in fact stand for Canada's First Rogers Batteryless.

September 24, 2009 @ 10:39 AM

James

CFRB is similar to CFNY in a way. Both are fairly legendary stations that have really gone downhill lately.

Yeah, Toronto radio is pretty bad. All I really listen to now is Bob McCown and CBC.

September 24, 2009 @ 2:20 PM

Wayner

John Tory will be running for Mayor of Toronto...great campaigning spot...

September 25, 2009 @ 1:53 PM