I Was There and I Remember

musicI was 15 when the 1990s arrived and 24 when the decade ended. I don't care who you are, it's unlikely you'll ever again love music the way you loved music between the ages of 15 and 24. Between the ages of 15 and 24, music is everything.

It's no wonder I look back at music from the 90s, particularly the first half of that decade, which such adoration. I loved so many bands, played so much air guitar, hung posters on my bedroom wall. I was there and I remember it like it was yesterday.

That's why I'm going to do something different over the next few weeks. I'm going to take a 90s band I loved and present a sort of band primer. I'm not going to copy stuff from Wikipedia or worry too much about facts, I'm just going to share my love for a band and how I remember it unfolding, complete with YouTubery for additional context.

I think I know just the band for my first primer. I'll write that later tonight.

Buffalo Boy Mike

Im just going to take a stab, The Hip?

December 4, 2008 @ 6:36 PM

Coach

Pearl Jam... and what band was bigger in the 90s. (well i guess we know the answer to that too)

But Yeah! THE HIP!!

December 4, 2008 @ 7:15 PM

Nova Scotia Matt

Geeze, I'd settle for Hootie. :p

December 4, 2008 @ 7:18 PM

felix

My money's on Nirvana, but who doesn't love a little Hootie?

December 4, 2008 @ 7:51 PM

James Edgar

Pearl Jam I don't love any hootie

December 4, 2008 @ 7:59 PM

Stephanie Wilkinson

I actually listened to Hootie today. I loved them...

December 4, 2008 @ 8:19 PM

Jason | GetYourOj.com

"I don't care who you are, it's unlikely you'll ever again love music the way you loved music between the ages of 15 and 24."

Please.

Speak for yourself man, which is pretty much what you were doing.

There were a few years I wasn't into music as much as but for the past two or three years I have been JUST as much into music as 'back in the day'. That's because I look for music in unconventional places and consider it a hobby (that's not to write off toronto radio completely.. CBC 2 and 3 can be good)

If you want to enjoy living in the 90's that's okay it's a free country (with 'no' government but it doesn't mean that we're all stuck there. I enjoy New Music.

maybe you correspond with one too many fuddie duddies... you're over-settled before your time IMHO

December 4, 2008 @ 8:42 PM

Gene

Hey Jason, you're as ridiculous and goofy on this site as you are on freddie p's.
Relax, it's only music.. and we do have a government. The one that was elected in October.

December 4, 2008 @ 10:18 PM

Toronto Mike

I wish music meant as much today as it did when I was 17...

December 5, 2008 @ 9:55 AM

LEW

Thanks for these primers Mike. Sharing your music experience is a lot of fun, and brings back memories of my own.
My “time” is the 80’s, and oh what a ride. To begin, to find music (other than Elton John) was an experience in itself.
I remember in ’78 hearing Bob Marley for the first time on TV, on one of those late night music shows (I think it was Soul Train). I went out and bought an album the next day, and was immediately turned on (and still am!). At school the next week I was in the smoking pit and was talking to a guy in grade 12 about seeing Marley on the tube, and like him, none of our friends had heard of Bob. He says, “He’s playing at the Gardens, do you want to go” Hell yeah! At the show, he caught up to some of his friends and ditched me on the floor of the Gardens (row 13 to be precise) I was nervous being there by myself with all these fanatical fans of Marley, as I was a 16 year old white boy from the burbs.
To end the story – it was smok’n, so was the crowd and so was I
Bob remains one of my only prophets.
Thanks for the kick in the memory bank Mike.

December 10, 2008 @ 12:54 PM

Eddy Lizard

90s music sucked ass. 80s always has ruled and always will rule. Ozzy, Sabbath, Megadeth, Metallica, etc, rock hard over those grunge douchebags from the 90s. Pearl Jam fucking sucks ass.

November 12, 2010 @ 5:58 PM