Joy Division

A Movie ReelJoy Division: 8 out of 10.

This documentary on the late 1970s English rock band Joy Division was just what the doctor ordered to get rid of the bad taste Four Christmases left in my mouth. Even if you know the story, this is a riveting retelling of the Manchester bands rise and sudden demise.

I watched it last night because I plan to watch Anton Corbijn's Control at some point this weekend. Here's the Joy Division trailer. I highly recommend this doc.

James Edgar

Was that DVD? I could watch that. I was a casual fan back then.

November 28, 2008 @ 10:43 AM

Toronto Mike

It came out in 2007 and just hit my On Demand channel.

It's out on DVD.

November 28, 2008 @ 11:05 AM

James Edgar

Thanks. I have on demand too but almost never use it. That would work for me too.

November 28, 2008 @ 11:28 AM

Stafford

"Control" is fantastic if you're a fan of the band...I'm not a huge Joy Division fan but I am a fan of the era and it "Control" didn't waste my time.

"24 Hour Party People" remains my favorite complete take on events as fictionalized as they were in the movie.

November 28, 2008 @ 12:17 PM

Buffalo Boy Mike

I have yet to see it but it is on my wish list for Christmas. Not my favorite band of all time they would probably land in my top 25 though just for the influence they have had and the music that spawned from the collective between them and the eventual formation of New Order.

November 29, 2008 @ 10:59 AM

Toronto Mike

With Joy Division it's all about the influence factor. They inspired the sound from so many of my favourite bands. Their catalogue is two albums long but their legacy can't be disputed.

November 29, 2008 @ 2:52 PM