Labour Day in this country used to be all about union parades and picnics. We'd celebrate the working class, advances in the labour movement, and the like. Today, it's more about one last long weekend before the kids go back to school and the chill settles in.
In keeping with the great tradition of Labour Day, a holiday that started in Canada way back on April 14, 1872, here are ten great tunes with "working" in the title. With apologies to Dolly Parton, there will be ten and ten only.
- Working Class Hero - John Lennon
- Welcome to the Working Week - Elvis Costello
- Working for the Man - Roy Orbison
- Working on the Highway - Bruce Springsteen
- Working for the Weekend - Loverboy
- Mr. President (Have Pity on the Working Man) - Randy Newman
- Working Man - Rush
- Julie's Been Working for the Drug Squad - The Clash
- Got My Mojo Working - Muddy Waters
- Senses Working Overtime - XTC