Silverman to No Longer Helpful

City TV Peter Silverman from CityNews' "Silverman Helps" will have to find a new way to help us because "Silverman Helps" has been cancelled.

From the official Peter Silverman page at citynews.ca.

"Silverman Helps" has garnered two Edward R. Murrow Awards for Best Feature and Best Investigative program. Competing against CNN, CBC, CTV, Fox and BBC at The New York Festivals, Peter and his team won the World Gold and Grand Prize for their series Stolen Dreams in 2005 and a World Bronze a series of stories on Fabry's Disease in 2006.

Radio Television News Directors Association of Canada (RTNDA) also awarded "Silverman Helps" with the Dan McArthur Award for 'Best In-Depth/Investigative Story' (Central Region) for the series on Fabry's Drug Funding. Peter was also honoured in May 2006 for his effort against fraud at the 12th Annual Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (Toronto Chapter) and selected 2006 "Man of the Year" at the Consumers' Choice Awards' Gala. Along with his producer, Terry O'Keefe, Peter was nominated for a 2006 Gemini Award for his series on King West Opticians, which received international acclaim and was featured on CNN.

From a memo distributed by to staff at Citytv.

Today we informed the group that works in "Silverman Helps" that this segment of the news will discontinue in its current format. For nearly two decades, Peter Silverman and Terry O'Keefe's unit have brought closure to many viewer complaints. We feel however that the marketplace for investigative journalism is evolving and CityNews will reformat the consumer beat in the fall. Effective immediately, the "Silverman Helps" stories will be discontinued. We thank Peter, Terry and Cristina for their contribution to the newscast.

"Silverman Helps" had some great moments, from "Watch it, buddy" to this wicked altercation with an "angry optician".

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

LEAVE IT TO ROGERS TO FUCK UP A GOOD THING. I'M SURE THIS IS JUST THE BEGINNING.

June 5, 2008 @ 11:24 AM

Ian Wilson

Wow, what a shame, i needed his help and was referred to him just today. Anyone know of who else could assist with a dispute?

February 20, 2009 @ 12:37 PM

fdichick1

Too bad!!! I also could use his help....So if anyone knows someone else....pass it along...!!

June 19, 2009 @ 1:02 PM

nikki

This is really sad!!! If they only knew how much this person was helpful to consumers, they should not have stopped that... I am so mad! I have a case that I wanted to discuss with him, and now I am stuck... Where do I go? This is a country of right and the should have left the guy do the great job he always done...Please help me find another person.

March 5, 2010 @ 10:30 AM

nikki

March 5, 2010 @ 10:31 AM

Sonya

Hi Mike,

Did you find any other consumer advocate to help the public? Mike Holmes is great, but they only help their show participants I believe. Any new champions of the wronged consumer?
Sonya

March 11, 2010 @ 10:09 PM

jeff sheriff

government corruption (employment standards) paternity reprisal against Lastman's Badboy
as clear cut a case as you could wish for. How does an arbitrator go the other way?
corruption!!!!!!

July 13, 2010 @ 6:46 PM

IN NEED OF HELP

A few years back I signed up for Alarm Force because they boasted free equipment.
Then they declared two false calls, one of the days I was on vacation. They said the police responded twice and they were false. I never had any police come to my door. So without warning they canceled my service but still took money out because I was 'under contract' until Jan 31 2011.
Feb 1 2011 I cancelled my account and they then asked me ever so nicely to send all the FREE equipment back to them and when they receive the FREE equipment then they would cancel the account. They mailed me a shipping label and I packed the FREE equipment snug and secure in a box I had just bought computer speakers with. I called UPS and my daughter gave it to the driver when he came to get it. The driver did not leave a receipt. All was good
I noticed a couple months later, I had a lot of bills bouncing because Alarm Force was still taking out the money. (as everyone else I live paycheck to paycheck so I notice when things go weird this way especially when I get NSF charges of 45.00 each time and from the bank and whose bill bounced. Alarm Force is now costing me a fortune.

I spoke with Avril after being bounced around Alarm Force customer service. Oh yeah and conveniently UPS is showing they didn't pickup the package. I was advised that because I shipped it to them then I had to do the extensive parcel search with UPS. I have worked with UPS before and this is a huge chore . When I contacted UPS they said that because Alarm Force created the shipping label and with THEIR UPS acct number that ALARM FORCE is considered the shipper and they need to do the search with UPS. When I contacted Alarm Force to discuss further they wouldn't return my calls, or 'accidentally' hang up on me several time. This made me livid. They even told me that there was no manager or supervisor I can talk to and also that there is absolutely no way I can contact the president Joe Matlin.

I am a single mom on disabiity and and feel very frustrated and angry for the robbery by Alarm Force. Not only should they reimburce me the monthly withdrawls they have been taking from my back account, but I feel they should also pay the NSF fees becasue THEY caused the money not to be there for my legitimate bills like heat and hydro. And for that matter I want them to pay me for the full year that I had no 'active security
becasue of the mistakes on their part. I also want them to get the proof for me that Peel Regional Police made this calls. I bet there isn't even any .

I really hope you can help
This guys are cons and there needs to be some form of security in place to protect any future victims from this bureaucratic leeches.

MONIES OWED TO ME
Monthy charges since Feb 1 to present (I can provide a bank statement)
9 (Feb - Sep 1) x 28.25 = 254.25 plus any other months after sept 2011 that are taken out.

I found the more I tried to speak with a supervisor the ruder the people got
254.00 may not be much to them but when your medication is about 700.00 a month. 254.00 plus the feeling of violation is ALOT

I really hope you can help me.

Jacquie

September 4, 2011 @ 8:09 PM

Temizlik Makinalari

Israeli peace means killing children

Temizlik makinalari