Every Monday I shuffle my entire MP3 collection in iTunes and list the first ten songs that played. Here are the ten tunes I heard today with a personal story about one of them.
- Captain's Log / Space Madness - Ren & Stimpy
- What'd I Say? - Ray Charles
- Manhattan Project - Rush
- You've Got Her In Your Pocket - The White Stripes
- C'mon Girl - Red Hot Chili Peppers
- Baby Please Don't Go - Big Bill Broonzy
- Between Us To Hold - Hayden
- What Have I Done To Deserve This? - Pet Shop Boys
- Be My Baby - The Ronettes
- The Living Dead - Phantom Planet
Let's talk about "Baby Please Don't Go". If you're like me, the version you first think of belongs to Van Morrison. Actually, it was a hit for the band Them, fronted by Van Morrison, but you're forgiven if you think of it as a Van Morrison solo.
That's one of three versions I have of this tune. In addition to the Big Bill Broonzy version I heard today, I have the original by Big Joe Williams. He recorded it way back in 1935.
Since then, acts from The Nuge to Aerosmith, AC~DC, John Lee Hooker and The Doors have taken a swing at this wicked Blues standard. When Morrison recorded the song with Them back in 1964, session guitar work was played by a then little-known Jimmy Page.
Now you know the rest of the story.