How to Talk Blue Jays Baseball With Bob McCown

radioDave just left an awesome comment on my Bob McCown vs. Bill Watters entry. It's a list of 8 things you should do if you want to talk baseball with Bob McCown, host of Prime Time Sports of The Fan 590. I like this list because it's both well written and pretty accurate.

Want to talk baseball with Bob--this city's sports demagogue. Do the following:

1: Refer to the thirty-seven, fifty-nine, or eighty-four third basemen brought in by Ricciardi. It doesn't matter if the real number--excluding subs--is something like three or four. The higher the number, the more Bob likes you.

2: Say something like, "This guy hasn't done/brought in anyone." Bob likes that. Don't mention Lind, Hill, Purcey, Snider, Cecil, Marcum, Litsch, Accardo, Tallet, Downs, etc. Bob doesn't know who they are.

3: Say "I mean," and "C'mon." Say them a lot. Here's a template for you to use when you're talking to the screener: "I mean, c'mon, what' this guy doing. I mean, c'mon. Who's he drafting? C'mon, I mean."

4: Tell Bob that this team "has no one" and could never "make a run." Wells, Rios, Hill, and Overbay are .260/10/70 hitters. Not much they can do over a complete season. "How are they gonna compete with Wells and Hill? They got no one there at the corners. They, I mean, they got no one. I mean, they can't make a run."

5: Ignore everything positive about this team. The fact that they're third in the AL (and 6th in MLB) in team ERA? It doesn't matter. "C'mon, I mean, Wells isn't doing anything. C'mon."

6: Banish logic from your argument. The Jays lost two one-run games to Boston, and have already played ten one-run contests. Since they lost said games, they're awful. Had they won said games (by one run) they'd be a great defensive/pitching team.

7: Pretend that slumps never happen: Say something like, "Stairs is on pace to go .300/15/40 this year."

8: Say something that shows your baseball knowledge. Something like, "My buddies and me were talking baseball. Now we know a lot about the game. We follow it. We're experts, you know. But that there Jays third basemen, that...you know...that guy...oh, I can't remember his name. But I know a lot about baseball. Now I don't like him."

Now you're on. OK. Wind him up, and watch him go.

Sometimes comments are too good to keep buried. This one deserved some front page exposure.

andrew

I've played BBall for 10-12 years & I know more about the sport than MR.C. an A$$h0!e.

May 2, 2008 @ 8:06 PM

Anonymous

Bob McCown sucks ass but something does have to be done with the Jays. It won't be long before we are looking forward to next year when they will finally catch the Sox and Yanks.

May 2, 2008 @ 11:16 PM

felix

This is too funny. And I actually enjoy McCown and PTS.

May 3, 2008 @ 12:24 AM

Al

I've got a lot of time for McCowan. The fact of the matter is, baseball is probably the sport he cares about the most having had his start as the jay's announcer way back when. A far as the Jays go, I agree with him that J.P. should be held a little more accountable for the team he has assembled. A lot of the players that are the cornerstones for this franchise (ie: Rios, Wells, et al) were not from his regime. Yes he has brought up some solid young pitchers, but they only got a chance because of all the injuries last year. Otherwise Marcum, Litsch and McGowan would still be in the minors. IMO, this should be J.P.'s bubble season, if he can't this team into the playoffs this season, the Jays should be looking to replace him.

May 3, 2008 @ 7:11 AM

Toronto Mike

I enjoy McCown and PTS as well, and I'm usually listening between 5:10 and 5:40 M-F... but I still like Dave's slant / rant.

I don't think we've ever given a GM in this city as much time to show results as we've given J.P. And Mike Wilner, he's another story completely. I sometimes wonder if J.P. doesn't have pics of him in compromising positions... maybe with Aaron from those Let's Talk Sports days.

May 3, 2008 @ 8:42 AM

Fredericton Steve

so people actually like this guy? Must be a toronto thing. Everyone I know in the maritimes hates his show.

May 3, 2008 @ 1:22 PM

Al

TELL ME ABOUT IT! Wilner is so gay for Riciardi! In his eyes J.P. can do no wrong. I'm not a fan of Wilner whatsoever. I find him smug and condesending and not in a fun way like McCown.

May 3, 2008 @ 8:30 PM

Nancy Dempster

Hi

I made a call last night to the Fan590 regarding coach Sam Mitchell not wearing his poppy on the left hand side. I asked the gentleman if he could relay a message during half time to the people who work for the fan at the game, and nothing was done. My father is a Veteran and loves the Raptors, he was the one who noticed right away. Maybe you would be kind enough to send a couple of tickets for my dad and I to go to see a game. He is 86 years old, and he would love it. Please tell Sam, to put the poppy on the left hand side. Maybe Bob could mention it on his broadcast today, not only about Sam Mitchell, but all people to wear the poppy of the left hand side.

Nancy Dempster