Top 5 Grunge Albums?

cdA web site called Cinema Blend ranked their top 5 grunge albums, and as a product of the grunge outbreak of the early 90s, I read with great interest.

I'm not going to analyze their rankings, which includes a rather surprising number one, I'd just like to state how much I love all five albums they listed. In fact, over a decade after grunge fizzled out, I constantly listen to all four of these discs and enjoy them as much today as I did back then.

Here's the Cinema Blend top five.

1. Stone Temple Pilots - Core
  2. Alice In Chains - Unplugged
  3. Pearl Jam - Ten
  4. Nirvana - Nevermind
  5. Foo Fighters - The Colour And The Shape

Ajax Mike

I'm not sure The Colour And The Shape counts as Grunge. It came out a little late for that (1997), didn't it?

For my money, Soundgarden's Superunknown has to be in the top 5 for sure. They're full of it. :)

September 20, 2007 @ 10:56 AM

Toronto Mike

In my first entry on this blog I wrote that the grunge era ended the moment a self-inflicted gunshot pierced Kurt Cobain's brain. So, IMHO, Foo Fighters don't qualify.

I think I'd put Badmotorfinger ahead of Superunknown.

Related: http://www.torontomike.com/2004/04/11_greatest_grunge_albums.html

September 20, 2007 @ 11:01 AM

Jason Meltzer Patterson

Yeah, how are Foo Fighters Grunge? They are mainstream New Rock. I like them and all but they aren't even old enough to be grunge.

September 20, 2007 @ 12:41 PM

Jason Meltzer Patterson

Are you saying your blog was born on Nov 30th? That's my b-day.

September 20, 2007 @ 12:45 PM

Toronto Mike

And that's this blog's birthday, too!

November 30, 2002.

September 20, 2007 @ 1:14 PM

Roshan

1.Ten - Pearl Jam
2.Nevermind - Nirvana
3.Dirt - Alice In Chains
4.Superunknown - Soundgarden
5. Any other Pearl Jam album

September 20, 2007 @ 3:32 PM

Coach Carter

Totally agree with Core being # 1
Colour and Shape is one bad-ass album, I'll accept its position on the list.

Mike, what is up with Toronto radio. I've been here 3 weeks and it is crap after crap after crap...I thought Calgary was bad! Remind me whats the good station?

September 20, 2007 @ 7:15 PM

Toronto Mike

For tunes I listen to 102.1.

September 20, 2007 @ 7:19 PM

A.R.

Edge 103.3 is Buffalo's Edge 102.1, but they play more mainstream rock than Toronto's Edge who tend to mix hits and more obscure artists. 107.1 is the classic rock station. You'll also get 107.9 and 97.7 which mix everything rock. The last two are from Hamilton.

I think Cinema Blend missed the mark with this one. Nevermind should have been higher. And In Utero would have been better than Foo Fighters.

September 20, 2007 @ 10:12 PM

Fredericton Steve

1. Pearl Jam Ten
2. Nirvana In Utero
3. Alice In Chains Dirt
4. Soundgarden Superunknown
5. Pearl Jam Vs

September 21, 2007 @ 10:41 AM

Toronto Mike

Ok, now I feel compelled to throw down my top five.

1. Nevermind - Nirvana
2. Ten - Pearl Jam
3. Dirt - Alice in Chains
4. In Utero - Nirvana
5. Vs. - Pearl Jam

Honorary Mentions
- Badmotorfinger - Soundgarden
- Core - STP
- Singles Soundtrack
- Temple of the Dog

September 21, 2007 @ 10:45 AM

Mike (Buffalo Boy)

What about Neil Young isnt he the godfather of Grunge? only seems fitting there should be a Neil Young in there

September 21, 2007 @ 3:22 PM

Mike (Buffalo Boy)

103.3 even today, cant hold the smelly socks of the DJs at CFNY.....103 is a junk station that will never live up to the standards on 102

September 21, 2007 @ 3:24 PM

Jason Meltzer Patterson

Who cares about wither Edge? You guys should really check out what else is out there.

Try CBC 3

Try X FM UK London

Try Indie 103 in LA

You're clearly on your computers enough!

You're missing a ton of good music if in fact you are only listening to that tired radio.

.:. .:. .:.

Mike, you mention the day Grunge died. That may have been when Silverchair released their first album. Bush (x) too. That was the beginning of the end.

.:. .:. .:.

Buffalo Boy.. even if Neil Young is the godfather of grunge, he's not really exclusive to that period and I don't think he would make my top 5.

I'd muse about making my own list, but I'd have to give it some thought and I am not sure it is worth devoting any time to something that old. LOL.

September 21, 2007 @ 4:31 PM

Jason Meltzer Patterson

Wait... 102 has standards?! Don't the play the same Outkast song over and over the same as everyone else?

September 21, 2007 @ 4:33 PM

Tee

1. Nevermind -Nirvana
2. Dirt - Alice in Chains
3. Ten - Jearl Jam
4. Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge - Mudhoney
5. In Utero - Nirvana

September 21, 2007 @ 8:31 PM

A.R.

JMP: You sound like you've never heard 102.1 the Edge. We're about the same 102.1 here, right?

September 22, 2007 @ 12:39 PM

Coach Carter

Alright, thanks for the radio stations.
Wait as sec, I think Mellow Gold by Beck sould get honorable mention too

September 22, 2007 @ 6:21 PM

Damian from argentina

Ok, i love grunge...and i defend to death grunge born in original place, i mean seattle...i'm not saying the stone temple pilots are bullshit, i'm not, actually i really like them, but i dont think their grunge is the best of all...well, doesn't matter anyway, i'll leave you my top five list, but without order, cause it's kinda difficult to say which is the best one, i love them all:

Ten-Pearl Jam; Nevermind-Nirvana; Alice In chains-dirt; superunknown-soundgarden;sweet oblivion-screaming trees.

see ya!