Three Little Pricks

poppyBecause I wear a cool Fonzie leather jacket, there's no where to pin a poppy. Thinking outside the box, I pinned my poppy to the strap of the brief case style sack I carry to work each day. When I slink this thing over my shoulder, the poppy is proudly displayed and my jacket remains hole-less.

Already this week I've pricked myself with the pin three times. Each time hurt more than the time before. The shot I took this afternoon drew blood and still hurts.

A sensible person might remove the poppy rather than risk a fourth prick tomorrow. I'm leaving it where it is. Every time that damn poppy sticks me in the hand I remember that nearly 69,000 Canadian soldiers gave their life in World War I and another 47,000 gave their life in World War II. Canadians also gave their lives during the South Africa War, the Korean War, peacekeeping and in the current war in Afghanistan.

I can handle a few pricks. I'm a lucky son of a bitch.

Anonymous

Poppies are to be worn over the heart on the left side of your body. I'm sure 1 or 2 weeks another jacket will do & Fonzie's could stay in the closet.

November 9, 2006 @ 8:04 PM

Mike Boon

Why does Anonymous always write the controversial comments?

November 9, 2006 @ 8:51 PM

Anonymous

Because that's my style.
I won't change. Much more to come.

November 9, 2006 @ 9:10 PM

Mike Boon

You're an enigma wrapped in a riddle Mr. (or is it Ms.?) Anonymous.

November 9, 2006 @ 9:11 PM

James

Someone must really be bored to tears, really. I wish I had mister anonymous's free time.

November 9, 2006 @ 9:35 PM

Jamie

I have to agree with (Mr./Ms.) Anonymous.

November 10, 2006 @ 8:06 AM

Mike Boon

The poppy is positioned on the strap of my bag so when it's draped over my shoulder it's right over my heart.

At least I bought and wear a poppy.

November 10, 2006 @ 8:46 AM

Stephanie

I can't believe that it's got to an 'issue' on your site.

I think you nailed it everytime. First of all, you bought a poppy and are wearing it or placing on your belongings for all the right reasons. If pricking your finger makes you think of all the people who died so that we can live in a free-er world, then I'd say it doesn't matter where you put it, because even if it was in a drawer, you'd go through the same thought processes every time you touched it.. Even the radio announcement says something about it on your collar or lapel. I just think that 'Anonymous' person must love to take anyone to task over any subject. While it may be true you are asking for 'comments' to be left, I don't think his/her comment was completely appropriate or complete.

November 10, 2006 @ 1:29 PM

anonymous

Apparel is to be worn properley. Which hand do you have your wedding band on? Hopefully the left hand on the 4th finger (3rd not including the thumb).

November 10, 2006 @ 4:49 PM

Mike Boon

I just wish Anonymous had come up with a more creative handle.

"Anonymous" seems so uninspired.

November 10, 2006 @ 6:52 PM

anonymous

A puzzle Mike-clues to follow who I am.
My name is TOMMY. Can you hear me. See me, Feel me, Touch me, Heal me - How can I be saved. I sure play a mean PINBALL. Put in your ear plugs, put on your eyeshades, you know where to put the cork.
Were not going to take it.
Cause you aint't going to follow me in any of those ways although you think you must.
"top tens"

Anonymous

November 10, 2006 @ 8:16 PM

Mike Boon

Dude, I've got your IP address, and that means I know you're the one who left this comment.

NO GUEST BLOG - NO READING FROM ME - GOT TO BRING IT BACK TIME FOR A CHANGE? - A NEW BLOG ON THE HORIZON & NOT MIKE BOON

It seems you're still reading...

November 10, 2006 @ 8:25 PM

James

You know, a single line in a .htaccess file can probably help him follow through on his threat to stop reading, Mike. Just in case he gets boring.

November 11, 2006 @ 1:16 PM

Mike Boon

Yeah, I know where the line is and he hasn't crossed it... yet.

You're on notice Anonymous!

November 11, 2006 @ 1:21 PM