Shanny's Red Rocket to Power

hockeyBrendan Shanahan is off to a great start with the Rangers. He's got 7 goals and 2 assists in his first seven games in New York. In Shanahan takes Manhattan, a Damien Cox piece in today's Toronto Star, Shanny offers up this delicious quote.

Hey, growing up I got used to taking the GO train. Or taking the Red Rocket to Michael Power High School.

I may be 605 NHL goals behind Shanahan, but we do have something else in common. I too TTC'd it to Michael Power High School growing up. The Shanahan family was everywhere, teaching at St. Cecilia's, a primary school I attended for a few years, and teaching at Michael Power, the high school where I hung my hat for five years in the late 80s and early 90s. For a while I thought they might rename Michael Power High School. I was practically a graduate of Brendan Shanahan High.

605 to go to catch my former classmate. I'd better get crackin'.

A.R.

Incredible. My elementary days were spent at James Culnan, a stone's throw from St. Cecilia. I currently TTC to Michael Power, it's probably a different building, but one can sense the history nevertheless.

October 21, 2006 @ 1:04 AM

Mike Boon

It's definitely a different building. I was the last graduate at the original location On Dundas near Islington station.

You're further west near Centennial Park. They tore my school down and put up condos. Joni Mitchell should write a song about it.

October 21, 2006 @ 7:46 AM

A.R.

From what I heard the building was not cutting it. Wasn't there a portable gym? Now the student population is has surpassed the 2000 mark, largely due to the International Baccalaureate program.
The current building is great. Two floors, massive forum, decent strip mall right across the street. And we did win OFSAA last year. I bet you've visited by now.

btw- how was the uniform back then? When I was in grade 9 they still had the ties, but they phased that out the next year for golf shirts.

October 21, 2006 @ 9:56 PM

Mike Boon

No, there was no portable gym. There were two main buildings: Michael Power and St. Josephs. Each had a gym.

You're right, there was a lack of space, so they introduced portables. The big one was Centre Portable where I usually had my locker. There was also North Portable where I took World Issues.

I've never been to the new location. The school always had a great baseball and football team.

My first year we had to wear blazers with a Power crest on it. Things loosened up when I was in grade 10 and we stopped wearing the blazer. It was awesome when they introduced that golf shirt rule for warmer months. There was a uni, but it wasn't so bad.

October 22, 2006 @ 11:13 AM

Anonymous

Actually, Mike, there was a portable gym at the east end of the school property (just past the Power building). Power's gym was Gym A. St. Joe's gym was Gym B. And the portable gym was Gym C. There was also a South Portable (science and music rooms) and five individual portable classrooms.

February 15, 2007 @ 1:54 PM

Toronto Mike

There was a portable gym? I guess there was...

I remember taking Science in South Portable, just behind Centre. I totally forgot about that portable gym, though.

February 15, 2007 @ 1:59 PM

KJ

Graduate from '75, the centre portable had skunks living under it, so the lockers were bad ! The girls unis were olive green wool skirts - but at least they didn't have to wear ties like Madonna. When they changed it to brown and green, Father Joe had a jacket made out of it. Fr. Redmond taught world religions, and ran the top provincial track team, featuring Glenn Bogue, who went on to win a bronze medal in the 400 metre at the Pan Am games.
I always said they tore down the old schools to destroy the evidence....

September 14, 2007 @ 9:08 AM

Toronto Mike

I remember a old rumour about a part of the St. Josephs building that used to be a convent. Apparently, this part was closed off and they didn't let anyone down there.

September 14, 2007 @ 9:11 AM

D

I too can vouch for the old portable gym. I was also one of the last grads from the old MPSJ. How could you forget that Mike? Then again I think the guys always had gym class in the Power gym, the girls always got stuck in the portable gym. I remember it was so old, we came in one day for class and there was a big hole in the floor! And the showers were disgusting.. oh the memories..
My sister went before me she remembers Father Redmond.
Sorry wasn't this blog about Shanahan, his cousin was a great science teacher :)

December 19, 2007 @ 9:45 PM

Toronto Mike

I'm sure I never had gym in the portable gym. I usually had it in the Power gym... and a couple of times in the St. Joe's gym.

December 20, 2007 @ 9:28 AM