The Monday Shuffle
Every Monday I shuffle my entire MP3 collection in iTunes and list the first ten songs that play. Here are the ten tunes I heard today with a personal story about one of them.
- International Bright Young Thing - Jesus Jones
- Immortality - Pearl Jam
- This Is Heaven To Me - Billie Holiday
- Can It Be All So Simple - The Wu-Tang Clan
- Fall To Pieces - Velvet Revolver
- Coffee Stain - Sarah Harmer
- Worried Now - Sloan
- Vaccination Scar - The Tragically Hip
- Trippin' On A Hole In A Paper Heart - Stone Temple Pilots
- The Messenger - New Funky Generation
I've always enjoyed hip-hop. From the cheesy rap of the mid-to-late 80s, to Public Enemy, Outkast and beyond, I dig a hard core rhyme over hard core drum beats. My brother Ryan and I often overlapped in this interest, paying our mutual respect to an artform derived from two turntables and a microphone.
In the early-to-mid 90s, Ryan was all about the Wu-Tang Clan. For whatever reason, I couldn't get into it. Perhaps it was because my bar for hip-hop dramatically raised after listening to the entire Public Enemy catalogue over and over again or perhaps it was because I just didn't get it. I wasn't down with the Wu-Tang Clan and I didn't own an ounce of their material until I scored their greatest hits late last year.
Throw on some Maestro, however, and we're both down wit it.
Only 1 comment? C'mon, we can do better... Leave a comment above and let's keep this conversation going!