Russ Holden and Darryl Dahmer

RadioThis afternoon I spent a few minutes listening to Bob McCown's Prime Time Sports on the Fan 590. He and Stephen Brunt were discussing politically vocal athletes like Muhammad Ali, Kareem Abdul Jabbar and Jim Brown and comparing them to Michael Jordon and Tiger Woods who are as non-political as can be. It was an interesting discussion, and then it was time for traffic. I can't remember if it was Russ Holden or Darryl Dahmer, but that doesn't matter. To me they're interchangeable and have been around forever.

When I first started listening to AM radio in the early 80s, Russ Holden and Darryl Dahmer were doing traffic reports for 680 CFTR. A little Googling reveals they both go back to 1979 at CFTR, where they both work to this day. That's an incredibly long time to stay at one station in the same role, even surviving a major format change when CFTR ditched the top 40 tunes for all news.

I wonder if they're the same guy?

twins from bolton

Many a morning I see the Copter for 680 NEWS at the Helipad at Mayfield Rd. & Hwy 50 (just south of Bolton) & wonder if Russ or Daryl is in the copter. They must stop for fuel & then continue north onto Hwy 400. Same person or TWINS?
Eddie Luther (bless his soul) must have been their father.

March 29, 2006 @ 7:44 PM

Jeph

Actually "we" (680) use a fixed wing airplane, which daryl is usually flying. Russ stays at the station and no, they are not the same person. LOL

April 11, 2008 @ 4:36 AM

Jeph

April 11, 2008 @ 4:36 AM

Russ King

I've been listening to Darryl for 28 years now I'm sure, and have always had a desire to see what he sees. I was wondering if there's any possibility that I could co-pilot one of his flights over the GTA, to see how he does what he does so well?

RK

May 30, 2008 @ 10:13 PM

Tony Lewis

I always got a big kick from listening to Daryl try and guess an oldie tune from the first 3 notes of a song. He was stumped seldomly. What an encyclopedic memory!

October 18, 2008 @ 9:03 AM

Tyler

I think the helo you the first guy was talking about is the am 640 chopper.

March 3, 2009 @ 8:08 AM

Cleusa

Darryl Dahmer, I have benn lestening to your
trafic Report for the past 18 years. I love when and how you educate the drives in a nice and firm way; especially those who drive slow on the passing lane; I trully believe they cause other drives angry; thefore, causing road rage. I hope they're listening to you. Great job; keep out the good work. God Bless

March 10, 2009 @ 3:30 AM

victoria

I miss eddie luther. he was the best at the traffic reporting and a wonderful person. he would always stop and talk to public and even allow photos to be taken with him. darryl dalmer....u should take a lesson from him

November 27, 2009 @ 9:33 PM

debra fletcher

what is the name of the song thats played at the end of the commercial just as darryl is flying over the city? I love it but you only hear a few notes.

January 18, 2010 @ 10:18 AM

Mike

Where is Russ Holden? I haven't heard him on 680 News for awhile now.

March 29, 2012 @ 8:16 AM

JohnL

Russ is now doing traffic on Breakfast Television and Citynews Channel.

February 20, 2013 @ 3:49 PM

Rick S

For Darryl. Would you know the name of a 1970 song that starts ..Look out the window what do I see there. Can,t remember the rest. I was a fireman then and a friend used to wake us with that song each morning . He was killed in the line of duty in 1972 . That song is a reminder of him. Thanks

June 27, 2014 @ 7:18 PM

'Capt' Bob Rice

For many years I shared the skies over Toronto with Darryl, Russ, Eddie, Henry, Diane and many others. . It still amazes me that double D can haul his butt out of bed every morning and sound the same as he did almost 40 years ago. And he still has hair!

September 20, 2014 @ 8:50 AM

Linda Searle

Been watching darryl do the traffic report for many years now, like his no nonsense approach to traffic. Had the pleasure of meeting him once at a CP 24 breakfast function at Milestones, just wondering if he is single? Maybe too personal. He has a fan here.

Linda

January 7, 2015 @ 7:41 AM

Lili

I am a HUGE longtime of CHFI FM Toronto, and have been forever!! I Now 56, I was listening to this magical station since "Candlelight and Wine" was a Toronto Favourite in my parents household.... and then there were Russ and Darryl,..... our favourite morning breath of fresh air. Cheeky they were! Now living 10 years in Vancouver, I can still stay I LOVE CHFI FM , and miss those guys so much! I am so glad they are God Blessed and enjoying good health... my heart beats always to my favourite station and my amazing and vibrant city of Toronto... maybe some day I will return. Keep on being THE BEST! Beleive me, you really, truly are!

February 18, 2016 @ 9:01 PM

Lili

February 18, 2016 @ 9:01 PM

Lili

February 18, 2016 @ 9:01 PM

Gord Wilson

Where's Daryl, missing his voice in January on 680??

January 25, 2019 @ 6:47 PM