Every Monday I shuffle my entire MP3 collection in iTunes and list the first ten songs that play. Here are the ten tunes I heard today with a personal story about one of them.
- Kalimba Story - Earth, Wind & Fire
- Truckin' Thru Traffic - Peetie Wheatstraw & Lonnie Johnson
- WCSR - Kid Rock featuring Snoop Dogg
- Row - Rheostatics
- Four Strong Winds - Ian & Sylvia
- Day By Day - Doug and the Slugs
- Friend of the Devil - Grateful Dead
- Glory of Love - Otis Redding
- Funny How - Custom
- Vicious - Lou Reed
In the early to mid-80s, I was mainly listening to 680 CFTR. They played top 40 pop music which meant a lot of Platinum Blonde, Corey Hart, Bryan Adams, Bruce Springsteen, Michael Jackson, Madonna, Prince and acts like that. Hey, I was a kid!
I distinctly remember listening to the late Tom Rivers in the morning and hearing Doug and the Slugs on a fairly regular basis. Doug and the Slugs had three hits: "Too Bad", "Making It Work" and "Day By Day". I enjoyed all three. "Day By Day" was a catchy sing-along song that used to bounce around in my head throughout the day when I caught it in the morning. When lead singer Doug Bennett passed away in October 2004 I called them "the Canadian indie band of my youth". That sounds about right.